TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Skyplex Orlando Discussion Thread

Bringing this conversation here so that it doesn't take the Phantasialand thread on a tangent...

Now that Intamin is working with Ride Centerline
Do you say that because they're working together on Skyscraper, or because they really have a partnership beyond that one ride?
^ Just Skyscrapper. I think their partnership for that ride is a milestone in roller coaster history.

I'm probably nuts, but I don't see what the big fuss over this whole thing is.

If I'm not mistaken, the coaster was already completely designed by Ride Centerline before S&S pulled out of the project, right? I would hardly call that a partnership - I can't help but think that it's literally no different than Intamin or any other company contracting out Stengel Engineering to do it. The fact that the coaster is an Intamin now probably isn't going to make the coaster any better or worse than when it was designed as an S&S.

While certain companies like B&M have gone to designing AND manufacturing their own coasters, I'm pretty sure that the practice of having an outside firm to design the centerline and a manufacturing firm to provide the track, trains and control systems is nothing new to the industry.

• Replies 882
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^No, but the big difference is in how the ride will turn out. It's no secret those S&S rides are ROUGH and the actual steel track has quite a few jolts in all of their recent creations.

The idea of Intamin building it means the ride will most likely be significantly smoother built with better quality track.

^No, but the big difference is in how the ride will turn out. It's no secret those S&S rides are ROUGH and the actual steel track has quite a few jolts in all of their recent creations.

The idea of Intamin building it means the ride will most likely be significantly smoother built with better quality track.

Also, the owners of the Skyscraper have told me to expect a few changes and from what it sounds like, the ride is actually getting bigger from what was original in the concept videos.

Also, the owners of the Skyscraper have told me to expect a few changes and from what it sounds like, the ride is actually getting bigger from what was original in the concept videos.

Well that I wasn't expecting. If it really turn out any bigger I'll be surprised!

Are they really that rough? Can you give any examples?

Are they really that rough? Can you give any examples?

Bullet Coaster! The lateral G is really uneven and riders get thrown around A LOT. It is not the enjoyable type like RMC coasters, the train also bounces around the track quite a bit even with a very modern designed bogie. But Crazy Bird is mostly smooth with a few jerks here and there.

Bringing this conversation here so that it doesn't take the Phantasialand thread on a tangent...

Now that Intamin is working with Ride Centerline
Do you say that because they're working together on Skyscraper, or because they really have a partnership beyond that one ride?
^ Just Skyscrapper. I think their partnership for that ride is a milestone in roller coaster history.

I'm probably nuts, but I don't see what the big fuss over this whole thing is.

If I'm not mistaken, the coaster was already completely designed by Ride Centerline before S&S pulled out of the project, right? I would hardly call that a partnership - I can't help but think that it's literally no different than Intamin or any other company contracting out Stengel Engineering to do it. The fact that the coaster is an Intamin now probably isn't going to make the coaster any better or worse than when it was designed as an S&S.

While certain companies like B&M have gone to designing AND manufacturing their own coasters, I'm pretty sure that the practice of having an outside firm to design the centerline and a manufacturing firm to provide the track, trains and control systems is nothing new to the industry.

What I think is that after they work together, maybe Ride Centerline will think "Oh Intamin is great to work with" so more Ride Centerline+Intamin projects will follow up later. Intamin coasters are reducing in recent years so this could be a turning point of their business. Not sure if the pre-fab VS Topper Track/I-Box Track, ZacSpin VS 4D Free Spin and the Mega-Lite VS Hyper-GTX will cause problems but maybe in the future, major competitors will joint together and dominate the industry.

To the Orlando peeps: Is any visible construction actually happening yet? Last I saw myself was land cleared, but nothing dug yet. To me that doesn't say, "we're proceeding". The pessimist in me still says this isn't going to happen, even though I really want it to because I think it would be awesome. There's just been soooooo many delays. Someone prove me wrong by saying there's a job site trailer, a bunch of equipment, and a hole in the ground!

^ Nothing changed except that final section. I mean, maybe it's taller, more elevated or I don't know, but all the elements on the tower are the same and in the same order. Which is kinda a relief for me, because I just love this layout so much!

I see something dropping or going down in the center of the Tower is that the drop ride that I'll never get on lol Both endings look great so I have no complaints with the change the entire coaster looks like it will be phenomenal. I too can't wait to hear of this project breaking ground for it to really set in that it's real and it's happening.

When I was a little boy in elementary school, I always used to draw roller coasters wrapped around skyscrapers or giant redwood trees; any tower of some sort. So seeing this design, and if it comes to fruition, is basically my childhood daydream turned into reality. BEYOND STOKED!!!

You know, it actually got a little less thrilling I think. They changed the outside-tophat into a simple 180 curve. Definitely looks smoother trackwise , especially that final zero-G. Whatever though, this thing is such a ridiculous over-the-top fantasy coaster I think most of us are just rooting for construction to start rather than nitpicking anything about the impressive layout.

I really hope it is and stays smooth, it's Intamin's first attempt at this train and track type no? Other manufacturers have been hit and miss with the euro-fighter style.