TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Skyplex Orlando Discussion Thread

The ride was essentially a huge El Loco it seemed, now Intamin will be building an entirely new (or oooooooold-school refreshed) design for them I guess?

Well, remember that the coaster design itself is STILL being done by Ride Centerline, who are the guys who designed El Loco to begin with. So while it's Intamin supplying the ride hardware, the actual designers of the coaster hasn't changed. Joshua told me today "We are absolutely still having Alan Schilke and his team do the design. They have designed some of the best rides in the world and that's what we want!"

• Replies 882
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was excited for this before, but now knowing the ride hardware is going to be supplied to be supplied by Intamin. And on top of that they're going to build a record breaking drop tower? I'm In. I can't wait to see what type of trains they'll use for this.

This is awesome! Really matches the "Intamin is the record breaker" reputation. They get to break Gerstlauer's "Steepest Drop" record as well!

I'm thinking about a 3-4 car SkyRush train with restraints like those of Falcon's Fury.

SkyRush is my number 1 coaster so I have no problem with this! Imagine sitting in the winged seat 500ft in the air!

^ I feel like that's the kind of thing Intamin does. "If they give us a 525ft height, why hug the riders inside of the car? We want to let the riders feel like they are about to fall out during every second of the ride!"

Oh, Intamin! (studio laughter)

But I feel like Intamin will really surprise us with this attraction. I can't wait for this place to open.

So, if they are now announcing ANOTHER attraction attached to the tower at that height, are we to assume they resolved the FAA issue?

Well, at least I want to believe so.

It hasn't been "resolved", but it was never much of an issue to begin with.

As I mentioned in my previous post, the only "issue" with the tower is it is taller than 500'. Any structure above that height automatically generates a Notice of Presumed Hazard and has to go through this process. Considering they didn't anticipate starting construction on the tower until April, I'd say the time this takes was process was factored in and accounted for.

Again, as I mentioned in my other post, their next course of action was to open up the case for circularization, which they did on 1/28/2015. The FAA will accept comments on the project until 3/6/2015, and then it will decide definitively from there, likely within a week, two at most, allowing them plenty of time to start construction on schedule in April. Given the following findings from the initial study, it's highly unlikely they won't approve this project:

Preliminary FAA study indicates that the above mentioned structure would:

not exceed traffic pattern airspace

have no physical or electromagnetic effect on the operation of air navigation and communications facilities.

have no effect on any airspace and routes used by the military.

For anyone interested in my rambling and wanting to find out a little more, you can read the circularization notice here:

https://oeaaa.faa.gov/oeaaa/external/letterViewer.jsp?letterID=241577564

And here's a link to the case if you want to follow it for any updates/comments:

https://oeaaa.faa.gov/oeaaa/external/searchAction.jsp?action=displayOECase&oeCaseID=22681922

That.Is.Awesome!!!

So this would be one of the extremely few rides (along with Zacspin's) where I would actually prefer an OTSR instead of the new lap bar only design.

Lap bars would work on it, those on Crazy Bird worked perfectly fine. But if they are looking for a more complex train design, lap bar would need some extra seat distance. I don't know if Intamin is comfortable with using El Toro or Mega-Lite style lap bar like Gerstlauer does.

I swear i remember S&S guys specifically talking about this ride specifically. But maybe I'm just getting confused/going mad (It happens).

You're not just imagining it.

https://web.archive.org/web/20141222153758/http://www.engineeringexcitement.com/product/polercoaster/

I would guess that Intamin probably had to be in on manufacturing of the coaster as their drop ride will probably be connected to the supports of the coaster at some points. Makes more sense for them to manufacture everything and all they have to do is piece everything together.

That.Is.Awesome!!!

So this would be one of the extremely few rides (along with Zacspin's) where I would actually prefer an OTSR instead of the new lap bar only design.

Lap bars would work on it, those on Crazy Bird worked perfectly fine. But if they are looking for a more complex train design, lap bar would need some extra seat distance. I don't know if Intamin is comfortable with using El Toro or Mega-Lite style lap bar like Gerstlauer does.

It would probably run the new ten inversion coaster's style lap bar. I don't see why they wouldn't, they put lap bars on almost everything else.

I swear i remember S&S guys specifically talking about this ride specifically. But maybe I'm just getting confused/going mad (It happens).

You're not just imagining it.

https://web.archive.org/web/20141222153758/http://www.engineeringexcitement.com/product/polercoaster/

Right, but it also says on the same page:

"Polercoaster is under license of US Thrill Rides, LLC."

S&S was just licensing that from US Thrill Rides so they could sell it. Perhaps their agreement with US Thrill Rides has ended? When I spoke with Joshua and David yesterday, they spoke quite a bit about US Thrill Rides, Intamin, and Ride Centerline. So it would appear they are purchasing the tower and the concept directly from US Thrill Rides. They told me specifically "S&S is not involved."

Could it be possible that they never were involved with this project and since US Thrill Rides & Ride Centerline have a relationship with S&S we all just *assumed* that they would be? While the coaster looks very much like an El Loco style coaster, you have to remember that was an Alan Schilke/Ride Centerline design, same as with Skyscraper (Which I believe is Joe Draves, but him and Alan work very closely together), which is why they look so similar. So it could be very possible that the tower was always being purchased from US Thrill Rides, the coaster being designed by Ride Centerline, and there wasn't a manufacturer chosen or announced until recently for the actual coaster.

Just a thought...

EDIT: Remember, when the news of this coaster first was announced at IAAPA 2013, it was the US Thrill Rides reps talking about it, not S&S, even thought they were part of the S&S booth, they were separate in talking about their products:

Edited by robbalvey

So has this project actually been financed and they are just getting all the approvals and permits in place?

The drop ride sounds really cool. Watching the track fly by as you drop is going to be scary.

So has this project actually been financed and they are just getting all the approvals and permits in place?

Yes, it's being financed by them. They've purchased 7 parcels of land not including the other side where Mango's is going to sit. Joshua told me there will be even more announcements for Skyplex coming soon!

Honestly, I think one of the cooler "un-announced, yet quietly released" things was that parking garage with the retail space on the bottom and the restaurant at the top!

This is all such exciting news. I have been reading bits and pieces about the drop tower being added, but had to come to TPR to get the scoop .

I really look forward to watching this entire area being built, and as excited as I am for the thrills - I'm also excited to read about Mango's and such. Looks like a really fun time! It isn't far from home for us so it feels like it's being built in our neighborhood.

This is going to be awesome. I feel like this is a place you will see a lot of people wearing T-shirts from.

Good to see it is moving forward and not just at a dead end.

The Dancing girls and Michael Jackson Part reminds me a lot of Co Co Bogo That they try to get people to go to in Cancun

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure Alan Shilke said at IAAPA (current one) that S&S was building this coaster, and he was involved in the design. It's in the Coasterforce interview w/him. (obviously something must've changed)