TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Skyplex Orlando Discussion Thread

• Replies 882
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^ Actually, it is. S&S and US Thrill Rides are teaming together on this. I'm assuming Ride Centerline is involved as well. It looks like an Alan Schilke design. Maybe somebody can confirm this? I haven't been following this project that closely.

http://www.engineeringexcitement.com/product/polercoaster/

Edit: I had to sit through and watch a video filled with pointlessness from another website at IAAPA last year and a guy from US Thrill Rides confirmed that Alan Schilke and Ride Centerline are the designers of the coaster. So the way I'm looking at it, US Thrill Rides is behind the design, engineering and buliding of the tower, S&S is manufacturing the track, trains. and supports, and Ride Centerline is designing the actual coaster. Does that sound about right?

You are correct. Alan is the sole reason I'm excited for this project...if it happens.

I have to say that the concept video looks amazing. The coaster layout is superb. So glad it doesn't just wrap around the tower as a super tall helix spiral.

I just have this doubting feeling in the back of my mind thinking this won't get built but I hope along with everyone else that it does and is an outstanding success.

So according to the interview Robb did this ride will have a cable lift which will take a minute and a half to climb. So I'm wondering if the ride will be able to have more than one train on the lift as I imagine that having to wait that much between dispatches (and given the size of the trains) would make capacity rather poor.

And, apparently, it will also have the world's steepest drop at 123 DEGREES!!

^ I bet it will be able to carry more than one train on the lift hill. I don't think cable lift equal "Intamin's cable lift", that just means it will uses a cable, but then you can fix a bunch of catch car if you want.

Otherwise I edited the footage and made the most seamlessly POV I could. I pointed out the MCBRs, too.

Hope that's more clear now!

Edited by KingRCT3

So according to the interview Robb did this ride will have a cable lift which will take a minute and a half to climb. So I'm wondering if the ride will be able to have more than one train on the lift as I imagine that having to wait that much between dispatches (and given the size of the trains) would make capacity rather poor.

And, apparently, it will also have the world's steepest drop at 123 DEGREES!!

I knew it was only a matter of time before someone started complaining about this...

The amount of people riding will be too small for the capacity being low to really make a difference. It's not going in Universal, it's going to be on the side of I Drive. They could even book reservations for it (kinda like Fastpass). Either way, pay-per-ride experiences don't typically attract the long lines that major attractions in pay-one-price theme parks do.

EDIT: I can see lines getting long if they do not implement some sort of "come-back-later" ticket system. BUT, with it presumably being an all-day attraction and the fact that it will probably draw from a sizeable local market who will avoid it it until the tourists are gone, I think it's safe to say that capacity won't be a HUGE issue. It's not like a ride in a theme park, where you have to go on it the one day your admission is valid only.

^Hey I wasn't complaining. It's just that usually, rides with trains of this size dispatch them fairly quickly (also because they're faster to unload, load and check) while 1:30 min would be more of a B&M with 32 seat-trains, for instance.

^^Thanks for the POV

King, thank you for piecing together the POV, makes more sense to me now.

I am extremely excited to get more details on Skyscraper. I typically stay in hotels on I-Drive so this will be great, hopefully there will be an unlimited ride option as this doesn't appear something I want to ride only once and then walk away.

The reverse banked turns and bunny hills are really neat looking, and seem to becoming a new trend for 2015. (Wicked Cyclone sports a nice one)

For the one who wondered if it would be painful to ride... I imagine it will feel very similar to the El Loco coaster design from S&S, which I have not heard any complaints of pain or roughness. (I have yet to have the pleasure of riding one myself living in the Northeast US)

With such a large investment coming up, I trust the engineers to create a smooth, enjoyable ride, looking forward to seeing construction whenever that might be.

^ I bet it will be able to carry more than one train on the lift hill. I don't think cable lift equal "Intamin's cable lift", that just means it will uses a cable, but then you can fix a bunch of catch car if you want.

Otherwise I edited the footage and made the most seamlessly POV I could. I pointed out the MCBRs, too.

Hope that's more clear now!

Thanks for doing this! Definitely provides a better idea of what the ride experience will be like.

I think it'll get built but I question the financial feasibility of it.

I figure that, just how people are and things go:

- the cost to build it was low-balled

- there were be unexpected issues when they actually get to building it

- there will be cost overruns in building it

- they're figuring "best case scenario" for what they're going to charge and people lining up to pay it.

For operations it's a massive structure that must be maintained.

So, can you get enough pph paying some huge ticket fee required to pay for and maintain this coaster?

I don't think you can.

If they put a normal coaster in the same spot I think it'd be tough business because there are so many other attractions around.

The audience isn't your average person but your die-hard coaster fan and thrill seekers willing to pay big bucks to ride.

There's also the question of there being, I think, a likely bump in attendance when it first starts up and I'm guessing that will wane after a short while (like 6mo - 1yr).

From growing up in a beach/tourist community I've seen my fair share of similar giant contraptions built and later abandoned (and eyesores) shortly after.

Make no mistake, I don't wish this upon the investors. I hope they have a thriving business! I'm just saying it looks incredibly risky/likely to fail to me.

No matter how you slice it, you have to have enough cash coming in from each person riding it to not only pay for it all (being built and ongoing maintenance) but also to generate a profit. That number per head seems like it'd have to be really big.

^the difference between this and some gimmicky beach town attraction is that the market going to a beach destination is not the same as the market going to Orlando. People go to Orlando to ride rides (well, and shop, but this complex has that covered as well). The expectation going there is that there will be thrill rides. The PollerCoaster is taking that market but instead of oversaturating it, filling a gap (a high-thrill extreme coaster) that was previously there. If theres one thing to doubt I dont believe its the financial stability of it, but rather how it will get funded if at all.

I don't know if the ticket price has been discussed, but how much would you be willing to pay for a ride?

Personally, I could pay $40-50 if it included FOTL. Or $80-100 for a combination of the coaster, the starflyer and the Eye.

If I would have to wait in line, $20 for the coaster seems fair.

I would see this as a once in a lifetime experience, and be willing to pay for it.