TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Skyplex Orlando Discussion Thread

^The most you can hope for is an inversion that gets you turning around and around in circles the other way. Wild Mice and Maverick both maintain excitement through quick, unexpected directional changes. You won't get that here because there's only two directions the coaster can go, clockwise and counterclockwise. I'm imagining that the only way you could get "tightness" of elements is in rotational change (snappy barrel rolls and banking changes) and elevation change (sharp slopes downwards or upwards). A very limited bag of tricks to work from. Also, both of those examples you mentioned demonstrate how trims disrupt the flow and pacing of a ride no matter what speed you're going (Maverick during the hill after the second launch, wild mice throughout the course), and this will be that x10.

How many other directional changes are there apart from clockwise and counterclockwise....?

As to your point about trim brakes... youre using examples that dont apply. A wild mouse features trims throughout its course but because of its stature maintains the quickness of its elements. Look at a roller coaster like Space Mountain...maintains a slow speed, features a trim brake/block section every few hundred feet of track, yet because of the tightness of its elements keeps up its pace relatively well.

I really dont see why the "bag of tricks" is so limited. Sure, there wont be any straughtaway sections, but the configuration allows for plenty of elements found on smaller, zippier coasters.

• Replies 882
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^The most you can hope for is an inversion that gets you turning around and around in circles the other way. Wild Mice and Maverick both maintain excitement through quick, unexpected directional changes. You won't get that here because there's only two directions the coaster can go, clockwise and counterclockwise. I'm imagining that the only way you could get "tightness" of elements is in rotational change (snappy barrel rolls and banking changes) and elevation change (sharp slopes downwards or upwards). A very limited bag of tricks to work from. Also, both of those examples you mentioned demonstrate how trims disrupt the flow and pacing of a ride no matter what speed you're going (Maverick during the hill after the second launch, wild mice throughout the course), and this will be that x10.

How many other directional changes are there apart from clockwise and counterclockwise....?

As to your point about trim brakes... youre using examples that dont apply. A wild mouse features trims throughout its course but because of its stature maintains the quickness of its elements. Look at a roller coaster like Space Mountain...maintains a slow speed, features a trim brake/block section every few hundred feet of track, yet because of the tightness of its elements keeps up its pace relatively well.

I could say you're also using examples that don't apply. Wild mice, Space Mountain, they all keep up their pace by having layouts that go left, then right, then left, etc, in rapid succession. This ride won't be able to do that. All it can do is make one long never-ending turn in a single direction with a consistent radius, until you get an inversion that gets it going in the other direction, another long never-ending turn in a single etc etc etc.

The bag of tricks is limited because they're basically trying to design a two-dimensional coaster, almost like a zacspin except going in a circle. Most of what traditional coasters can do, this one won't.

If the layout's going to be fabulous, then why haven't they released it yet? That's my question. A virtual POV would go a long way towards building hype and excitement, including among the GP.

I still think they'll find a way to add a big drop in the layout. Even if it means a 300ft drop finale (into a brake run), they could get it into the layout. I don't see anywhere that specifically states the layout will be entirely contained within the circumference of the tower footprint.

It's been mentioned that it'll reach a top speed of 65 MPH.

Edited by neil009

^ i'm so happy you're not a designer. You don't seem to have a whole lot of fresh, creative ideas about working around an obstacle.

You'd do well with B&M, actually.

Ok, just off the top of my head I can think of something they could do (no, my guess does not come with a physica degree to you wiseguys out there). You do a twisting drop down the side of the tower and then go upward, also twisting, up the side. The track flips upside down and does a half loop...boom, you are now turning the opposite way around the tower (by changing directions via the half loop). Climb up another twist and do a helix around the tower, then maybe a trim

brake. Another spiraling drop and climb up a half loop, flip right-side-up, and then boom, youve got a different direction going.

Theres plenty you can do to

1.) make directional changes possible

2.) Vary the speed so trims arent needed every two seconds

3.) Make it anything but a boring "toboggan ride"

Alan Schilke is designing this, no? For a board that (rightfully) praises everything that guy does, we seem pretty pessimisitc over one of his future projects.

^From the look of that picture, it even looks like some of the drops twist away from the tower (but are steep enough that they dont stray too far from the actual structure), thus changing the direction of the action and differentiating from a basic clockwise or counterclockwise spiral downward.

^ i'm so happy you're not a designer. You don't seem to have a whole lot of fresh, creative ideas about working around an obstacle.

Perhaps. It's a lot easier seeing the problem in something than coming up with a workaround for it, and maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised. I'm a skeptic by nature, and when you've got a coaster where you take away the lift hill and the footprint looks like this:

There's room to be skeptical.

I don't think Schilke's involvement has been officially confirmed, unless there was a link I missed. As for the layout KingRCT3 mentioned, despite the fact that it's obviously just a very crude rendering of the same stretch of track copy/pasted four times in a row, even if that were the final layout I wouldn't be particularly impressed, especially given that after every single one of those drops there'd be a huge trim brake.

Yeah...just think what nemesis would have been if they were great at working around obstacles!

I have seen the el locos. They look fun...I really don't wanna judge this based of a conceptual design. Ut if its anything like the el locos, I'm pleased.

Perhaps. It's a lot easier seeing the problem in something than coming up with a workaround for it, and maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised. I'm a skeptic by nature, and when you've got a coaster where you take away the lift hill and the footprint looks like this:

There's room to be skeptical.

That really made me laugh!

I don't know about you, but it was pretty obvious to me that this is NOT the final layout:

It looks like they just made the concept art for the buildings and they just quickly drew a coaster in, which is probably why it has a repeating, uninspiring layout.

Plus, HHCP, the creator of the diagram, designs buildings not roller coasters.

• 4 months later...

^Holy crap.

I always liked Skyscrapers but didn't think they would be intense or anything. The layout looks crazy I love the points where the track angles outside away from the tower, and the drops are fantastic. If I ever ride it it has potential to be number one if the preview translates accurately to real life.

Also, is it just me, or does it seem like Skyscrsper is like a second-generation Z-Force wrapped around a tower and extended to 535 feet tall with a lot of other fancy elements in between the hairpin inversions/drops?

This actually looks REALLY promising! I had my doubts earlier and thought it would just be a gimmick to break a record, but by judging from this clip it it seems it will deliver a pretty full experience. Can't wait for more details!

Wow that first outward banked turn and then the beyond 90 degree drop. I love the mix of drive loops, and zero Gs, and stalls throughout the lay out. It looks very promising! I can't wait!

I couldn't help to wonder as I was watching the video. If the ride were to go down and units were on the lift. Who in their mind would climb to talk to guest. I couldn't even fathom an evacuation. Hopefully they will have an elevator of some sport like Millennium force and B&M dive coasters.

Oh man this looks good!

There's airtime, cool inversions, so many unique elements, like a huge El Loco, but with more airtime!

I wonder if Alan Schilke is designing this layout, it looks very similar to things he designs.

2017 sounds like the next time I need to visit Orlando!

Edited by chickenbowl

Here is a better quality version of the video[/url].

That looks awesome!

I wonder if Alan Shilke is designing this layout, it looks very similar to things he designs.

I wonder the same thing! The outward banked turn is his "signature element" on the El Loco's, and the inclined camel-backs are often seen on RMCs, as well as the inverted stalls...

Edited by robbalvey

Holy crap, I had no idea the layout would be so cool. Taking such extreme elements at that height (and so slowly) will be so fantastically scary. Even the damn lift hill winding it's way up the tower looks fun. If this first installation works out I can see these being built all over the place.