TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Skyplex Orlando Discussion Thread

• Replies 882
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not going to get excited just because it is tall since High Roller was not good. I'll judge it after I ride it.

This will be in no way similar to High Roller at all. High Roller started out high and ended high...on a platform. This one will start at ground level, climb 500 feet, and end ag ground level. Its an entirely different experience.

I'm not going to get excited just because it is tall since High Roller was not good. I'll judge it after I ride it.

This will be in no way similar to High Roller at all. High Roller started out high and ended high...on a platform. This one will start at ground level, climb 500 feet, and end ag ground level. Its an entirely different experience.

I don't recall ever writing that the experience would be the same. I made a comparison about the height because some people commented that the height (not the change in elevation) would make it exciting.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Alan Schilke is designing the layout. I absolutely cannot wait to see what his twisted mind has in store for this.

I'm pretty sure it's him or one of the other guys from Ride Centerline designing it (or maybe even both of them), and if that's the case then that actually gives me a LOT of hope for the coaster elements. Like I said, think a "vertical El Loco" with maybe a bit of Lightning Run thrown in there!

Don't discount the ride because it doesn't look like something we've seen before. It could have potential!

Ejector airtime 500 feet in the air would make my face like this

I don't recall ever writing that the experience would be the same. I made a comparison about the height because some people commented that the height (not the change in elevation) would make it exciting.

...but thats like saying Maverick wouldnt be any good because it's the same height as Blue Streak (or whatever its as tall as). You can compare any two rides, but that doesnt mean it makes sense. Literally the ONLY similarity between this and High Roller is the aspect of it being attached to a tower. The two are completely different.

...but thats like saying Maverick wouldnt be any good because it's the same height as Blue Streak (or whatever its as tall as). You can compare any two rides, but that doesnt mean it makes sense. Literally the ONLY similarity between this and High Roller is the aspect of it being attached to a tower. The two are completely different.

His point was that a lame layout was still lame 909 feet in the air. This coaster has the disadvantage of having to go in a circle down the tower, automatically meaning lots of trim brakes. We don't know what the layout looks like, it may end up being great. But, in the event that it's slow and boring, it'll still be slow and boring 500 feet in the air. That's the point of the comparison which I think is valid.

I think we are all making a big mistake with all of this. We assume that the coaster will be the centerpiece, but in fact the observation tower will be the centerpiece and the coaster will drum up some nice PR and bring in a decent amount of revenue. Who cares about the renderings of the coaster. I'm sure they have their final layout, but didn't release it for obvious reasons.

If Schilke is designing this I think this thing will be SCREWED UP. Even if it will be trimmed, there could be some crazy twisted inversions, and maneuvers in the layout. Also from what I have seen with Schilke and RMC is that there is air time when you least expect so...

Some hopes I have are maybe a beyond vertical drop, like an EL Loco, other El Loco elements, like outward banked turns and lots of hang time, and some first of the kind inversions. I have had some inversion/maneuvers in my head like a non-inverted dive loop thing, like the launched S:UF clone's drop after the roll but tighter, think a semi-circle drop with a twist at the apex so the car is up-right at the bottom. Another idea I had was a slow double barrel roll that wraps around the whole tower. These are all of my crazy dreams of what this ride can be.

Well one thing is for sure, I will not be dragging myself half way around the world to ride some kind of glorified toboggan, 500 foot high or not.

I just really hope that the layout gets announced for this thing and everybody with ^this^ attitude goes crazy because it's so great and they need one closer to their house.

Well one thing is for sure, I will not be dragging myself half way around the world to ride some kind of glorified toboggan, 500 foot high or not.

I just really hope that the layout gets announced for this thing and everybody with ^this^ attitude goes crazy because it's so great and they need one closer to their house.

If I wanted to go on Trim Brake: The Ride, I'd go on TH13TEEN, if I really wanted to ride an El Loco, there are 2 located not very far at all, in Yorkshire and France.

If I wanted to go on Trim Brake: The Ride, I'd go on TH13TEEN, if I really wanted to ride an El Loco, there are 2 located not very far at all, in Yorkshire and France.

Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit has several block brakes and thats not a bad ride by any means. And imagine taking some of those elements 300 feet up with nothing but the ground below. I dont get the negativity already surrounding a ride whose layout hasnt even been announced yet. Comparisons to High Roller and Thirteen dont even make any sense. Is there maybe some envy toward Orlando that it will become a roller coaster destination in addition to its status as the theme park-destination? Or has everyone just taken the "judge a ride by its POV" concept a few steps further and started judging rides based on their incomplete and non-official concept arts?

Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit has several block brakes and thats not a bad ride by any means.

And you'd be absolutely right, if block brakes and trim brakes were the same thing.

And imagine taking some of those elements 300 feet up with nothing but the ground below.

No.

I dont get the negativity already surrounding a ride whose layout hasnt even been announced yet.

Because it's rubbish. a 500 foot toboggan down a observation tower is hardly "groundbreaking".

Comparisons to High Roller and Thirteen dont even make any sense.

Actually they make perfect sense. Th13teen is trimmed to hell, and is worse off because of it, High Roller relied purely on the height it was built at for the ride experience.

Is there maybe some envy toward Orlando that it will become a roller coaster destination in addition to its status as the theme park-destination?

Not at all. Nobody envies Orlando. If anything, I pity it.

Or has everyone just taken the "judge a ride by its POV" concept a few steps further and started judging rides based on their incomplete and non-official concept arts?

No, simply put, it looks crap. You don't even need a POV to tell it wont be able to gather enough speed for thrills, there are minimal drops, and ultimately, it's a gimmick.

^first off, I definitely thought you meant to say "block brake" because thats all thats really guaranteed on a ride like this. Nobody said it would be trimmed, and theres no reason to think so yet, especially if Schilke is involved.

The rest of your post is just full of some weird kind of bitterness toward a ride...a ride of all things. I guess I dont understand. But one thing for sure is that you cannot just assume its a toboggan ride down an observation tower. Nothing besides its height and the details of its adjacent complex have been revealed yet. I see your avatar is of Nemesis...who wouldve thought a B&M in a hole would be what it was until you actually rode the thing? In any case, at least this will be a solid ride deserving of tallest COASTER title, rather than the blink-and-its-over Intamin stratacoasters

^first off, I definitely thought you meant to say "block brake" because thats all thats really guaranteed on a ride like this. Nobody said it would be trimmed, and theres no reason to think so yet, especially if Schilke is involved.

Except for a basic understanding of rollercoaster design and physics.

The rest of your post is just full of some weird kind of bitterness toward a ride...a ride of all things.

Not "bitter" at all, you must be however, if you feel the need to extrapolate words into meanings they never had in the first place.

I guess I dont understand.

Then do not discuss what you do not understand.

But one thing for sure is that you cannot just assume its a toboggan ride down an observation tower.

I think all the promo details and renderings leave me no choice but to view it as a toboggan ride down an observation tower. Oh, and you can add onto that handle the world's tallest cash cow as the ignorant GP think they are paying for and boarding some kind of groundbreaking experience.

Nothing besides its height and the details of its adjacent complex have been revealed yet.

And nothing more need be revealed. It will be a trimmed down, expensive toboggan ride down a 500 foot high shopping mall. End of.

I see your avatar is of Nemesis...who wouldve thought a B&M in a hole would be what it was until you actually rode the thing?

Anyone who had ever ridden a B&M, more explicitly, the first B&M inverter. Putting it in a hole or not, it would still have been a good rollercoaster.

In any case, at least this will be a solid ride deserving of tallest COASTER title, rather than the blink-and-its-over Intamin stratacoasters

Your argument is riddled with petty passive aggressiveness, it doesn't work. That you had to try and capitalise the word "coaster" to push home an argument that doesn't exist, immediately following your major u-turn regarding what can and cannot be said with any certainty shows me even you do not believe your own arguments.

I agree that the ride seems a bit gimmicky and I'm not nearly as excited as I would be if it were a continuous circuit Intamin 500 foot coaster or something but I still think it's going to be great and I'll definitely ride it next time I'm in Orlando.

I don't care if a ride is gimmicky if it's fun, and nothing is more gimmicky than Top Thrill Dragster and Kingda Ka and I enjoy those.

Except for a basic understanding of rollercoaster design and physics.

The rest of your post is just full of some weird kind of bitterness toward a ride...a ride of all things.

Not "bitter" at all, you must be however, if you feel the need to extrapolate words into meanings they never had in the first place.

I guess I dont understand.

Then do not discuss what you do not understand.

But one thing for sure is that you cannot just assume its a toboggan ride down an observation tower.

I think all the promo details and renderings leave me no choice but to view it as a toboggan ride down an observation tower. Oh, and you can add onto that handle the world's tallest cash cow as the ignorant GP think they are paying for and boarding some kind of groundbreaking experience.

Nothing besides its height and the details of its adjacent complex have been revealed yet.

And nothing more need be revealed. It will be a trimmed down, expensive toboggan ride down a 500 foot high shopping mall. End of.

I see your avatar is of Nemesis...who wouldve thought a B&M in a hole would be what it was until you actually rode the thing?

Anyone who had ever ridden a B&M, more explicitly, the first B&M inverter. Putting it in a hole or not, it would still have been a good rollercoaster.

In any case, at least this will be a solid ride deserving of tallest COASTER title, rather than the blink-and-its-over Intamin stratacoasters

Your argument is riddled with petty passive aggressiveness, it doesn't work. That you had to try and capitalise the word "coaster" to push home an argument that doesn't exist, immediately following your major u-turn regarding what can and cannot be said with any certainty shows me even you do not believe your own arguments.

I am going to ask very kindly that we end this little back-and-forth right now.

@Joshuadrooney- The tone in your posts needs to change immediately. We will not tolerate anyone being rude and obnoxious towards other poster. We welcome open discussion on the forums, but you need to be able to do so in a constructive manner. Thank you.

Edited by ernierocker

I agree that the ride seems a bit gimmicky and I'm not nearly as excited as I would be if it were a continuous circuit Intamin 500 foot coaster or something but I still think it's going to be great and I'll definitely ride it next time I'm in Orlando.

I don't care if a ride is gimmicky if it's fun, and nothing is more gimmicky than Top Thrill Dragster and Kingda Ka and I enjoy those.

I agree. In a way, I know this ride has a lot of potential (imagine something like lightning run that goes on and one forever due to the height and the nature of this coaster) but, like you, I can't get as exited as I would be if it were something like TTD or KK (even though that's a personal thing).

Like you said, those may be gimmicky and basically a one trick pony but it's a very good one.

So what I think is: the height of this ride alone (which is all we know until now) doesn't guarantee anything while on something like KK it would (ridiculous speed and probably a good launch). However, it COULD end up being the best ride ever it they have an intense, non-stop, airtime and G force filled long layout in mind.

I guess we really will have to wait.

^I agree that height alone DOES NOT guarantee a good roller coaster. But at the same time, just because this has a 500-foot lift hill DOES NOT guarantee itll be a lame ride that is trimmed to death and boring. Neither side knows enough about the ride yet to make the call.

In my world Alan Schilke = GOD so if he is playing even a small role I seriously doubt this ride could suck! I will feel a lot better once I see vertical construction but it's hard to not get at least a little excited for this! S&S build's solid rides and I love where they are headed! Gosh I feel like a giddy school girl and this thing wont even open till 2016! This is like Kolmarden all over again!

I say every ride should be given a chance to prove itself. The thing isn't even built yet so how can anyone say the ride will stink? Hey if Robb himself is willing to give the benefit of the doubt then that's good enough for me to be at least a little optimistic.

^I agree that height alone DOES NOT guarantee a good roller coaster. But at the same time, just because this has a 500-foot lift hill DOES NOT guarantee itll be a lame ride that is trimmed to death and boring. Neither side knows enough about the ride yet to make the call.

The thing is, there will have to be trims about every 100 feet or so (vertically speaking), and that's being generous. Because of the nature of the ride you're constantly turning, so the faster you go, the heavier the positive Gs will get. Imagine a ride where every time you pick up any serious speed, you hit a trim or a block brake and slow way down again. True, you have the added thrill of being so high up, but that'll only last for the first few elements. This is why people are skeptical. It might still be a fun ride, but it'll definitely be an interesting design challenge. Any element you have, any airtime hill, whatever, must be done while also turning.

The thing is, there will have to be trims about every 100 feet or so (vertically speaking), and that's being generous. Because of the nature of the ride you're constantly turning, so the faster you go, the heavier the positive Gs will get. Imagine a ride where every time you pick up any serious speed, you hit a trim or a block brake and slow way down again. True, you have the added thrill of being so high up, but that'll only last for the first few elements. This is why people are skeptical. It might still be a fun ride, but it'll definitely be an interesting design challenge. Any element you have, any airtime hill, whatever, must be done while also turning.

Going in a different direction here, think of ride with multiple lift hills. Big Thunder Mountain survives very successfully with three lift hills. What about The Beast? The Beast is the longest wooden roller coaster in the world and nobody is going to dispute that, but the ride has two lift hills. I've seen complaints around the internet that polercoaster shouldn't be considered the tallest roller coasters in the world because they don't have the worlds largest drops. The point I'm trying to make is that rides with several elements that are usually considered 'boring' or 'lame' to riders can be used very effectively to give an even better ride experience then they would without them. Starting at ground level, climbing a 570' tower, and finishing on ground level is going to be an amazing experience. I understand sticking to tradition and having preferences for traditional roller coasters, but having alternative experiences is what makes this industry so exciting. Even if it's not the most exciting experience it's different, and the differences give us new perspectives and information we can use moving forward.