TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Skyplex Orlando Discussion Thread

If there is one thing about this project that I think could at least be a plus over the Orlando Eye project is it sounds like they want more "unique" restaurants and retail. I like what Orlando Eye has done to re-shape that side of I-Drive, but lot of the offerings are restaurants we have around Orlando already: Carabbas, BJ's, Buffallo Wild Wings, Chuy's, etc.

At least it sounds like this property may bring some NEW offerings to the Orlando area.

• Replies 882
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im not really feeling this coaster. In my books i consider a roller coaster to be free standing. So i will still have kingda ka as tallest.

I can see it now, "World's Tallest freestanding Roller coaster! Right here at Six Flags Great Adventure!"

Saying that you have the tallest drop of any coaster in the world is still very impressive. I'd personally word it that way, but they don't really have to worry about that as they rarely mention the fact that Kingda Ka is the world's tallest coaster anyway. If I had the world's tallest coaster I'd erect a billboard next to it like Cedar Point did but there's very little signage in the park focusing on Kingda Ka's record.

As far as this new coaster, I really didn't need another reason to go back to Orlando but it looks like I'm getting one anyway. Awesome

Im not really feeling this coaster. In my books i consider a roller coaster to be free standing. So i will still have kingda ka as tallest.

Agreed, just like Matterhorn and all the Big Thunder Mountains aren't either!

Do we know who is building the ride? Looks like it could be Gerstlauer or S&S.
Just got back from the "Skyscraper at SkyPlex" announcement. Here's some details:

- Complex called "SkyPlex" - Roller coaster called "SkyScraper"

- Part of an entertainment complex built by "Mango's Tropical Cafe."

- Ride Built by US Thrill Rides and S&S

- 570 Feel tall

- 5,200 feet of track

- 48" height restriction

- Opening 2016

which kind of symbolizes how some of the older mini-golf and FEC type attractions are becoming a thing of the past, and more "entertainment complexes" with restaurants, night life, and attractions are going up.

Only a few of the older FEC attractions have survived, and in order to, like Fun Spot, they had to step up their game and expand beyond that type of attraction. So I'm not exactly sure what will remain from this round of new development, but it DOES seem a lot more exciting than was there before.

--Robb

This same thing is starting to happen in Pigeon Forge. The old FEC/mini-golf/go-kart places are starting to be replaced with entertainment complexes like Walden's Landing and The Island.

S&S did a great job with El Loco, so I have a good amount of faith that Skyscraper will be a really good coaster.

I'm picturing that this ride will basically be a "vertical El Loco", which could actually be not a bad thing at all!

Pretty exciting project, will interesting to see this thing once constructions gets under way. With the track on the ground around the complex it looks like it has a spiral "lift" of some type, could you imaging having to evacuate a train on the lift in the middle of a 550 foot tower? Operating and maintaining this thing would be an interesting experience.

Personally I love all of these interesting new entertainment complexes, great addition to I-Drive. By the time this thing is done there might be much of the semi-crappy but still kind of awesome I-Drive left!

Very interesting concept, if only because I always just assumed the coaster to break the 500 ft barrier would be an intense ride like TTD or KK. Not that doing all those hairpin turns and such so high in the air won't be intense in it's own way, but...well, I think you all get what I mean.

S&S did a great job with El Loco, so I have a good amount of faith that Skyscraper will be a really good coaster.

I'm picturing that this ride will basically be a "vertical El Loco", which could actually be not a bad thing at all!

I hadn't thought of that, but it definitely makes sense. I'm a fan of the El Locos (well, Green Lantern at least) so will definitely be looking forward to see what the final layout looks like!

I think it's really intriguing how the world records have slowly decoupled. Think of all the record breakers of the 70's, 80's, and 90's... most of them were "Tallest, longest, and fastest steel" and also had the longest drop. Those started to break up with Ultimate, S:EFK, Dodonpa, TTD/Ka, and Formula Rossa. Now we have the world's tallest coaster without the world's longest drop: So now Skyscraper, Steel Dragon 2000, Formula Rossa, and Kingda Ka top out each of the four individual categories. I'll be interested to see if this trend continues in the future.

This and the Orlando Eye projects make me feel kind of like they are starting to turn I-Drive into a family-friendly version of the Strip in Vegas. Sure it isn't quite as BIG as the hotels in Vegas, but the "Entertainment Districts" that were mentioned earlier seem fairly similar to what multiple hotels on the strip have. You add these two places with the Pointe, and I-Drive is building up a fairly decent collection of these districts.

On a another thought, sure it sucks to see the demise of the old time mini-golf and FEC places, but in a place like Orlando with Disney and Universal (Which now both have mini-golf on site), it is very hard for those places to attract customers away from the big boys. The benefit that these newer places on I-Drive will have is they will feature very large attractions that are not at either Universal or Disney (That being the Orlando Eye wheel and the Skyscraper coaster).

As far as how good the coaster will be, if it is anything like El Loco at Adventuredome, I can only imagine how awesome it would be to do such things, but over 400 feet up!

Am I the only one who thinks this thing will be more thrilling than Dragster and Ka? I don't care how slow/fast it is... you can already tell you're going to be so high up much, much longer than .5 seconds like those rides.

I don't even realize how high up I actually am on Dragster and Ka as the ride is actually about the launch in my opinion (the top hats just run off the speed) so this should be freaky, especially in those little tiny cars...

And I feel like Orlando should have the world's tallest coaster! It isn't the most thrilling area as far as rides go, but it truly is the amusement/theme park capital of the world and it's only fitting for it to be here. The older GP will eat this up and I'm sure the media will too.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Alan Schilke is designing the layout. I absolutely cannot wait to see what his twisted mind has in store for this.

This is what has kept me hoping for this project to pull through. S&S and Alan Schilke are a great combo.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Alan Schilke is designing the layout. I absolutely cannot wait to see what his twisted mind has in store for this.

I'm pretty sure it's him or one of the other guys from Ride Centerline designing it (or maybe even both of them), and if that's the case then that actually gives me a LOT of hope for the coaster elements. Like I said, think a "vertical El Loco" with maybe a bit of Lightning Run thrown in there!

Don't discount the ride because it doesn't look like something we've seen before. It could have potential!