TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

IAAPA 2013 Trade Show - TPR's Official Report!

I cannot wait to see all the interviews! Especially the ones for B&M and GG.

Honestly, I'm not even sure why anyone would be looking forward to the B&M interview. If you've watched any of their interviews in the last 10 years you should know they don't tell you anything. I feel sometimes that we are at the point where we have to interview B&M because we have to interview them. They don't actually answer any of the questions.

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey everyone! Here is this year's IAAPA video! We've changed up the format a little bit from years past to make it a little different. I think it flows MUCH better and we really like this new format. Would love to hear what everyone thinks! Enjoy the video!

POST YOUR COMMENTS!!!

Thank you for the video, Robb. Great coverage as always.

You are totally right about Walter Bolliger. He really doesn't answer any questions. I wonder how much of that is language barrier.

I enjoyed the new format but miss the typical Rick at Proslide exploding with excitement holding up his models.

It was really neat to hear what people thought about the Freestyle Park.

Thank you again, Robb and Elissa and the crew that brought us this video.

^ Thanks. Yeah, I mean, the old format worked well, but I really felt that most of the people were just saying the exact same things year after year after year so I wanted to mix it up a bit this year and talk about things we haven't really asked them before.

That was a very well edited video. I like hearing all the different answers cut like that. Thanks Robb and Elissa for making the video.

I'm curious. What is everyone's favorite responses from the questions that I asked?

When RMC said we are booked. I also liked when Premier was describing someone's proposal for balloons to hold a ride.

Edited by Mrlittle

Thanks for sharing! While I enjoyed watching this year's video, I think I may have preferred the previous formats. The idea of the different manufacturers answering 1 question strung together was a creative idea but I felt like something was missing. In the past, there would be an introduction to whoever was being interviewed. If I were just listening to the audio only of this year's format, I would most likely be lost as to who's answering the questions.

While it flowed, to me it felt like it flowed a bit too much/a bit on the fast side. I felt like I got more out of the new hotness in the previous year's, and definitely felt like I got more out of the still images that were posted throughout the day today.

I did like the Son of Beast comment, and again thanks for sharing the video and most definitely the photos!

Edited by Angry_Gumball

I have yet to watch the video, I'll be posting my comment after that.

You are totally right about Walter Bolliger. He really doesn't answer any questions. I wonder how much of that is language barrier.

I had the opportunity to meet him, and -I don't know what the questions were, here- but we could chat pretty easily, though I hadn't asked him about futur projects or such things, for instance. He speaks fluent french but I think his mothertongue is german.

He's an approachable man, although it won't surprises me if he won't give details about the future, haha. He is very kind.

I liked the idea Vekoma posted for doing a Flying Dutchman that sounds a little like Expedition Everest on steroids. Would love if this will happen someday - maybe even at Disney.

Also have to agree that Mack Watercoaster and SuperSplash are amazing water rides - every major park should get one!

Edited by simon8899

Thank you for the video, Robb. Great coverage as always.

I enjoyed the new format but miss the typical Rick at Proslide exploding with excitement holding up his models.

It was really neat to hear what people thought about the Freestyle Park.

Thank you again, Robb and Elissa and the crew that brought us this video.

Pretty much this, i'm grateful for all the coverage you do for everyone and the format is great but I really really enjoyed Rick and the new pro-slide models in the video last year and missed that this year as well as the rocky mountain in-depth interview (although as you guys said they give the same answers so I understand why you would skip it this year)

I like the new video format, but it seemed more like a survey of random questions asked for fun than actual interviews about the manufacturers. Yes, there were a few industry questions, but it would be interesting to hear more about projects that the companies can talk about. Not every company needs an interview every year and often unless they have something new to discuss they just restate what is already known. However, for those with big new projects I always enjoy hearing what the designers have to say about it. Perhaps a hybrid video would be something to consider: spend 15-20 minutes on full interviews with the companies with the biggest announcements and then 5-10 minutes of random questions at the end.

I'm curious. What is everyone's favorite responses from the questions that I asked?

Craziest idea question:

Marilyn Monroe duplicate-Garner Holt

Son of Beast-Jeff Pike

Floating a ride with balloons-Jim Seay

That was an outstanding video, and I really prefer the format this time. Great editing job, too!

The whole thing was very enjoyable, but the standout parts to me were:

-I loved all of the questions, but the two that I thought were the most fun were the "Elephant or Cheetah?" and "Why do you think Hard Rock Park failed?"

-The responses I liked the most: Everything Alan Schilke said, Fred Grubb saying that RMC is booked solid, Kevin from S&S saying that they are anxious to build more 4D coasters (although I hope to see more full size 4Ds than the smaller ones), and I thought it was interesting that Walter Bolliger mentioned Flying and Dive coasters first when asked what types of coasters they would like to see parks build. (He seems like a nice guy, I think he just does not want to divulge too much information; I get the feeling they are working on something else big besides Banshee, Heide's Wingrider and the Wingrider in China...)

-All in all, I just liked the selection of questions - all of them fun and ones that got good responses-and the way it was edited.

Thanks again for the great coverage, that had to be one long, busy and tiring day!

I thought the pacing of the new format was really good. I particularly liked the Hard Rock Park question - gave some interesting industry insight. One of the things I liked about last year's clips was seeing the ride companies showing off the bits and pieces they'd brought to the show - models, rollercoaster cars, and in Zamperla's case, the Air Race! It would be cool if there was the chance to see some more of that this year.

Thanks for this awesome IAAPA coverage Robb. I woke up this morning to a ton of photos and news, and by the time I'd finished work today the video was up - brilliant!