TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

IAAPA 2013 Trade Show - TPR's Official Report!

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The main problem with the ridiculous explosion of theme parks in China is a MAJOR engineering point in general; sustainability. Every year there seem to be more and more elaborate parks being built with more impressive rides than the last, but on many of TPR's trips and others in general, most parks didn't look that busy at all (and if that wasn't true, then I'm just blowing hot air).

The theme park situation there seems to reflect the state of the country overall; they are building soooooo much so quickly, there is NO WAY most of these places will make it very long. Sure, the business for companies right now is very nice and the parks might be open for a few seasons, but the theme park supply (among other amenities in the country) is surpassing the demand and the gap only seems to be growing. It won't be very long until these expansive resorts with world-class rides have to be shut down due to the fact that they just don't have enough visitors.

On a more relevant note, the show is looking great this year as always and I'm really excited to see what other announcements are coming soon. The PolerCoaster seems to have made an impression last year; what designs might be the next hot thing in the industry?

Totally agree! Even though those Chinese parks do get insane busy sometimes, those parks just went into the wrong way. Chinese parks want to get profit by selling tickets instead of getting mony from the merchandise and food inside of the park. As a result, those rides are poorly maintained and those parks often have financial problems. They might not have enough money to build future rides. Plus, building some rides that need a lot of maintainence cost are just looking for more troubles "cough" GG woodie "cough"

Very late to the party, been busy all day but finally able to see what I also refer to as Xmas for coaster enthusiasts...that is, IAAPA! Some noteable highlights for me and what I saw so far:

-GCI, 'nuff said! Switch track coaster, Viper, and that oh-so-cute Mini-Lennium Flyer car! I want a single (lead) car just to have sit in my room. It's small enough!

-Mack Drop & Splash...reminds me of a pirate ship that could in fact be a credit, and water ride all in one!

-Sexy trains from various manufacturers whether it be Lightning Run's, the RMC trains, or El Loco's

Definitely can't wait to see more! GCI seems to be doing a lot of innovating as of lately. Last year we had the shuttle coaster concept. This year, switching track...soon (guessing and joking of course) we may very well see the world's first launched woodie! I also look forward to hear from Pro Slide as they always seem to have something new up their sleeve. Lastly, though I saw it coming since WCB, glad to hear that Calico Mine Ride is getting the Timber Mountain Log Ride treatment

Oh man I want them to do something that will get them some attention. The only attention they've really got is criticism for the painfulness of Hades 360 (I know they designed dauling dragons and that was a hit, but martin & vleminckx have got most of the attention for that one). I want TGG to get back into the game. I respect them.

^How has Gravity Group left the game? They announced 4 new coasters today and have opened 5 in the last 3 seasons. Considering they only have 10 operating currently that's quite a bit of growth as of recent.

My guess for the Gravity Group announcement is it will be train/details on the Wooden Warrior style coaster going into Story Land next year.

It just didn't feel like they were really competing with GCII last season. I think it was just me, though and didn't really recognize the work they've been doing recently.

edit: I had even forgotten about their new Story Land coaster. But who do you think is getting more attention because of the 4 new coasters, TGG or Martin and Vleminckx?

Edited by ftdude16

I vaguely remember hearing rumblings about a new Gravity Group small wooden coaster for Story Land up in New Hampshire.

Also, I will start paying attention to M&V when they start building coasters that I can reasonably get to to ride (read: in the United States).

It was a crazy day filled with interviews! Currently rendering out a video where we speak with: Rocky Mountain Construction, S&S Sansei, Bolliger & Mabillard. The Gravity Group, Great Coasters, US Thrill Rides, ProSlide, WhiteWater West, Premier Rides, Vekoma, Maurer Sohne, Mack Rides, Garner Holt, Sally Corp, and Martin & Vleminckx! You'll even see us ride and take part in some of the attractions that were on display at the trade show.

The video will be posted tonight!

--Robb

To clarify, the Mini-llennium can seat up to two (average-size) adults per row.

That's what I get for not going to the show this year! Thanks for correcting my idiocy.

Looking forward to news about the rumored Story Land woodie...haven't heard a peep about it outside Screamscape.

I always suspect those mini-spinning coasters will be uneventful...until I watch or ride one! I hope these surprisingly intense rides find plenty of homes; they seem to be the most thrilling pint-sized coasters by a mile.

Also, at the assumptions the Switchback is going to Elitch Gardens. I remember similar thoughts when the one that used SFFT as the backdrop premiered.

Yup.

While we are waiting for today's video to render out and get posted, let's flash back to IAAPA 2001, shall we? Check out this video:

Here's a few notes....

- The IAAPA show floor really has changed little in 13 years.

- We all look much younger!

- There was a lot more cooler stuff out on the midway

- Dress code has seriously lightened up over the years

- There is still just as many inflatables

- I was a member of ACE (Yeah, I was naive back then...)

It just didn't feel like they were really competing with GCII last season. I think it was just me, though and didn't really recognize the work they've been doing recently.

edit: I had even forgotten about their new Story Land coaster. But who do you think is getting more attention because of the 4 new coasters, TGG or Martin and Vleminckx?

Wood coaster companies are not going to build large amounts of projects every year. Sometimes there will be an "off" year or two with 1 or 2 projects here and there. Gravity Group is still firmly "in the game".