TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

IAAPA 2013 Trade Show - TPR's Official Report!

Well I have to admit that I'm slightly disappointed that this is how the 500 ft mark will be surpassed: Don't get me wrong, I mean, I'm glad they're building this ride and it sure looks impressive but, you know, I was imagining a "normal coaster" breaking this record with a 500 ft tall tophat or a lift hill and 500 ft drop. Still very impressive, though.

I couldn't agree more... While I'm sure this ride's going to be really awesome,and I'd definitely ride i if I hit up the area, I think it'll keep parks from building a typical "tallest coaster ever" that has one huge drop running the entire height of the structure, top hat or not, since it's essentially pushing the bar too high to be reached anytime soon.

I doubt rides like Kingda Ka would've been built the way they were if they weren't going to be the tallest roller coaster in the world (or at least america).

I'm afraid I'm just not feeling like a coaster built this way really utilizes it's height, if it doesn't have gigantic drops. I mean, the coaster in the rendering essentially looks like "High Roller" on steroids. And while that's a good thing, It's slightly underwhelming at the same time.

Having said all that, that nearly vertical twist drop looks amazing.

EDIT - does anyone know if the rendering is the actual version of the ride that's going to be built? Because it doesn't look as tall as Kingda Ka.

Edited by FLIPDUDE

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I have to admit that I'm slightly disappointed that this is how the 500 ft mark will be surpassed: Don't get me wrong, I mean, I'm glad they're building this ride and it sure looks impressive but, you know, I was imagining a "normal coaster" breaking this record with a 500 ft tall tophat or a lift hill and 500 ft drop. Still very impressive, though.

I'm not. Based on the rendering, this is a rather interesting layout that will give riders a chance to enjoy the view while thrilling them with some interesting elements.

I couldn't agree more... While I'm sure this ride's going to be really awesome,and I'd definitely ride i if I hit up the area, I think it'll keep parks from building a typical "tallest coaster ever" that has one huge drop running the entire height of the structure, top hat or not, since it's essentially pushing the bar too high to be reached anytime soon.

I doubt rides like Kingda Ka would've been built the way they were if they weren't going to be the tallest roller coaster in the world (or at least america).

I'm afraid I'm just not feeling like a coaster built this way really utilizes it's height, if it doesn't have gigantic drops. I mean, the coaster in the rendering essentially looks like "High Roller" on steroids. And while that's a good thing, It's slightly underwhelming at the same time.

Having said all that, that nearly vertical twist drop looks amazing.

I'm not sure if I get your point... It's as if saying launch coasters claiming the worlds fastest record aren't "typical" because the speed was not gravity generated, or launch coasters which claim the worlds tallest record aren't typical because it doesn't use a traditional lift. Sounds as though you are implying that this concept somehow "cheats" but that depends on your definition of "typical". This is the amusement industry, if everything was typical, it wouldn't be Amusing!

What I think its being missed is this is some of Innovation as its best! I think the PoleRcoaster is an awesome concept! Just as much as I can appreciate how high roller was a great concept of its time! Let this great idea of a ride be built and try it out before calling it underwhelming!

^^Oh we don't deny that.

Still, though... Could've been cool to see a 450ft or 500ft drop coaster get built somewhere. I doubt any park will do that in the forseeable future if it doesn't grant them the title of "tallest coaster"

^I'm not saying it doesn't count or anything, or that it's "cheating", it's just, when you ride Kingda Ka, Millennium Force, all those rides, you look forward to the giant first drop, at least I know I do.

For me, the thrill of being on a 400ft coaster is knowing that you're about to fall all that distance.

This ride doesn't have a one giant drop, which is FINE on it's own, I just can't help but feel that it'll keep other parks from building coasters that do have them.

Since Top Thrill Dragster opened, 300ft coasters essentialy stopped being built (With one exception), since they would no longer fetch the "Tallest coaster" title.

Edited by FLIPDUDE

^^I suppose the only way of having a guarantee that a coaster will be the tallest for a while would be to build one that was so tall that the amount of money involved would stop other parks from breaking that record soon but I don't see that happening soon at all. Still, as many here have said this does look great and it is a very original concept. I will definitely ride it once I have the chance.

A 500ft coaster with a traditional lift would be excellent, but frankly, what park has that sort of room? The layout would have to be GIGANTIC at those speeds. Asking for a coaster with a 500ft tophat... snooze. The last thing the world needs is another TTD. I get what you guys are saying, but the reason 500+ hasn't been done yet is because it never made sense. This makes sense. Cheating or not, it will be excellent.

Polercoaster can give you everything, big steep drops, tight turns, inversions, crazy twists and transitions, airtime, hangtime, you name it. Being 500+ ft above the ground is only going to add to the experience. 7,000 feet of El Loco goodness. I am stoked for this one. I can't wait to see the final layout.

I'm excited to hear where this Polercoaster thing will end up, I can't see it really working that well in most of the parks in Florida but I mean I can't help but think how awesome of an addition that thing would be for a place like the Universal Citywalk.....

And as much action as they've had on that property here lately I wouldn't be surprised at all if they were some how involved....

I've gotta admit, big drop or not, hangtime at 500ft with lap bars would be nothing short of terrifying awesomness.

Guys! Guys, guys, guys. Listen, guys.* Hear me out, OK?

500 foot Screamin' Squirrel.

I just blew your minds. Of course, that's probably from the amount of blood rushing to your head.

*and girls.

Can you take more photos???

001.thumb.jpg.6ec58f764543efc60a33caf24c72eb7f.jpg

Here's another look at the S&S El Loco car for Adventuredome in Las Vegas.

002.thumb.jpg.bd7edb1a555a85bd5142939efaf0a062.jpg

YOLO!

003.thumb.jpg.ee2947cecfefae6cf7fe2f5988db9071.jpg

TPR doing our IAAPA interviews! This is Rich Hill with Sally Corp. Say hello!

004.thumb.jpg.a1b2015e530d343916b79a1cc3694d30.jpg

Amazing new animatronics at the Sally Corp booth.

005.thumb.jpg.4903f944b40672e7bbee0f5b6b3e7251.jpg

This years weird IAAPA food item... Funnel sticks!

006.thumb.jpg.3543b9ee8862b457a4eb9068a4870316.jpg

PTC has their wood coaster trains on display.

007.thumb.jpg.2dc185c24e39772f29102f55449b9eb3.jpg

Yes... There are animal inflatables!

And here is a video of Mack Ride's new "Drop N Splash" water ride concept:

[vine]

[/vine] Edited by ernierocker

That Drop n Splash looks weird and fun.

I'm pretty pumped up to hear which park will pass the 500 ft mark.

I just thought of this, should we get a new name for them?

I mean till the 199 ft mark we don't name them.

200 ft --> 299 ft is called Mega or Hyper (correct me if I'm wrong here, I'm confused here every time.)

300 ft --> 399 ft is called Giga

+400 ft Strata.

So is this a strata or something new?

I wouldn't limit it just to parks. This looks like something that will be a standalone attraction like the one going to the sports complex in Georgia. Wouldn't be surprised to see it somewhere like I-drive.

^

I just thought of this, should we get a new name for them?

I mean till the 199 ft mark we don't name them.

200 ft --> 299 ft is called Mega or Hyper (correct me if I'm wrong here, I'm confused here every time.)

300 ft --> 399 ft is called Giga

+400 ft Strata.

So is this a strata or something new?

prefixes.jpg.1303728915a1cb9910df4c95d9ca0d22.jpg

Prefixes

My guess would be peta.... Top Thrill Dragster was referred as a tera coaster back when it was first built but then the strata- prefix was coined somehow.