TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Huss Rides

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I have yet to ride a funfair Breakdance, there's a very fun Break Dance 4 in the area (Santa Cruz Boardwalk). Normally these are geared towards families (with CGA also having a No. 4 geared towards families), SCBB's offers quite a thrill and runs a slightly faster program than it's neighbor in the bay area.

Edited by Angry_Gumball

The Huss Enterprise was one of my favorite flats for quite a while, namely Zulu at Worlds of Fun, which has operated there at least since the mid 80's when I started visiting. Going upside down with no seat belt or other type of restraint added to the excitement.

Most of the Huss rides I've experienced were fun and re-rideable, (at least when I could take the spin-and-puke rides). As others have said it probably has more to do with maintenance costs and reliability than popularity.

Huss has made some really kick-ass rides in the past, and a few of them are still in production today as well.

The main problem with the company, is that since the crisis and new ownership in 2006, the company hasn't really done anything new. In order to keep selling lots of rides and be competitive you need to always develop new rides.

This new company also did have some problems with warranty's of rides sold by the former ownership, making those customers looking for other suppliers for future rides.

The company has sold quite a few rides in Asia lately, and I'm guessing that's what keeping them alive still.

I love most things they do, even though I'm a Zamperla and Mondial guy, and I really hope they can come up with some cool new concepts in the future.

Edited by _koppen

Huss rides tend to not be very reliable. Look at Dollywood, they had so many issues with Timber Tower and after a battle with huss they finally removed it.

Hmm--not sure I'd brand all Huss rides as "not very reliable" based on one model that didn't perform well.

In Germany there are still tons of Huss rides around on carnivals and parks alike. Most however are still from the "old" Huss. Leading the numbers are 30+ Break Dancer. My favs include the classic Frisbee, Magic as well as the Flic-Flac/MegaDance. Older rides are still around but one should ride them while they last like Troika, Ranger - both Hansa-Park - or Flipper of which two are on the carnival circuit and one at Heide-Park.

Thinking of it the TopSpin - also the inverted variant at Phantasialand, the Condor and UFO are also cool. They made more iconic flats than any other ride manufacturer. Hope they will show something new soon...

Some of rides seem to be licensed (???) to Technical Park - there called Baseball (Flipper) and Shake Off (Take Off). Oh yes love the Take Off - at least 3 still on the German carnival circuit.

Ever since Huss started having their fabrication done at Stakotra, the quality level for new rides went through the floor. Not that it was that great during the "Land Of The Giants" phase that brought the world maintenance drains like the Giant Frisbee and Jump2 (Sledgehammer at Canada's Wonderland). They also did a terrible job of innovating new attractions or keeping up with competition like KMG when it came to the portable market. Huss can basically survive off of doing nothing but legacy parts though even if they don't produce a new attraction.

I too loved Huss. My first experience with them was the Enterprise ride at Dorney Park. It then led to the Breakdance and the Condor ride at Morey's Pier in Wildwood. I've also ridden the Huss Flipper (Tornado that is currently traveling with the orange unit under Reithoffer Shows; it started out with the blue unit before it got transferred), North America's only Huss Magic at Marineland in Niagara Falls, Canada. Other Huss rides I've ridden: Top Spin (standard models), Troika, Airboat, Ufo, Rainbow, custom Rainbow (former Conestoga at Hersheypark), Ranger, the original Frisbee model, and Topple Tower.

Marineland did take out their Topple Tower as well. It was an okay ride, did not have the aggressiveness that the Huss rides of the 80's had. That was their best time. The only news I've read was that they're bringing back the Condor ride into their portifolio, with a improved 2nd generation version. It's supposed to go to one of those Happy Valley parks in China for 2014.

I really like Huss rides as well and was a bit saddened that their large catalog had been chopped after the re-organization as there were quite a few I wish I could have tried but U.S. parks didn't add them (Flipper and Magic come to mind).

My favorites are/were the Giant Frisbee, Enterprise, UFO, Troika andTri-Star.

I rode Maxair at CP and it was great: really smooth, pulls some nice Gs every time it reaches the bottom at full speed and provides some great weightlessness. My only Huss experience so far but it was a pretty good one.

^^The Take Off can produce insane Gs if they run it with main plate and compartments spinning the same direction making both roations add up. Plus running full speed only a carnivals - the Särkeniemmi Take Off does for example not reach full speed.

Also cool to hang upside down inside a Ranger...

I rode the Topple Tower at Marine Land...it was an interesting experience. You definitely rely on that restraint, and they let on this tiny little kid that I'm not quite sure they measured. I had to hold on to him the entire ride, and one may argue that just having one arm on him would not save him if he were able to fall out, but I swear I thought he was going to slip right under. He was all slouched and hanging on for dear life. Nearly had a heart attack the entire ride cycle. He was happier than a pig in s*** though when it ended! Didn't even phase him!

Reminds me of being a teen at the fair and some little kid slipped out of the Rainbow. That ride has some serious shuffle and the restraints had some give and didn't touch. About four of us had to press him into the floor of the ride until it stopped. That kid was a hysterical mess. I would be too. I must be some of these kids' guardian angel!

In France at Walygator Parc will be dismantle a Topple Tower. It wasn't a succes. After many years of SBNO, the new crew of 2013 give his a last chance. They repare some parts of the ride, but the whole season, the attraction failed. Sometimes the ride was not operating a hole day. The crew has seperated that the ride will be aborted. Also the Topple Tower in Bellewaerde Park (Belgium) has ussually many problems (see the movie).

^The one at Kings Island didn't do as well as I had hoped, but for some reason the one at Cedar Point amazed me! I'm not sure if it was because Kings Island's broke down right when I got on it, so they had to get us off, fix it, test it, then let us back on to ride.

The Enterprises are my favorite classics due to how you're just locked in a cage with no restraints while inverting multiple times! Top Spins are some very powerfully intense and fun rides, and the same can be said about Breakdancers (including the one in Kentucky Kingdom).

^^I have noticed that some parks do not run their flats to maximum speeds. On Huss I can name the Take Off at Särkeniemmi and the MegaDance at Tivoli which run on our carnivals at higher speed settings, longer duration - simply more insane programs. Maybe because parks mostly have families on their minds while German showmen tune their programs to teens/twens.

^This said maybe CP runs their Giant Frisbee at a good program while many other parks run it on slower more boring programs to cater also non-Top-Thrill riders.

• 1 year later...