TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

NEWS: LakePoint to Build First Polercoaster

...The Polercoaster is an incredible double engineering marvel that will provide visitors an opportunity to ride one of the tallest and most thrilling roller coasters in the United States, as well as visit the observation tower with retail, restaurant/bar and observation area at the top....

Hmm... Do they mean that the coaster will let people off at the top? Or that everyone takes the elevator to the top and those who choose can wait in line to ride the coaster to the bottom? Or will the coaster be entirely separate from the observation tower deck and only let riders on and off at the base of the tower?

Looks cool otherwise and I hope the mention of S&S and inversions will produce some elements that will switch the direction of the descent and keep the ride from becoming one long spiral turn to the right.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If so, I wonder why the manufacturer chose to use the spiral track for the lift section instead of some kind of elevator? Seems like there is already infrastructure in place (or necessary at least) for elevators on the tower anyways, I would think an elevator lift would have been fairly easy to incorporate into the ride itself.

Possibly better capacity? Since you could have a few cars progressively working their way up the spiral lift...There would be enough blocks on the way down to permit this sort of operation anyway.

Hmm... Do they mean that the coaster will let people off at the top? Or that everyone takes the elevator to the top and those who choose can wait in line to ride the coaster to the bottom? Or will the coaster be entirely separate from the observation tower deck and only let riders on and off at the base of the tower?

The coaster starts and ends at the bottom, and elevators/an observation tower sort of cabin takes guests from the base to the deck at the top. Two separate 'rides', if you will - one coaster, one observation tower. It just so happens that they share the structure.

On another note does anyone know who will manufacture this?

US Thrill Rides announced this concept within the past year or two. That's when I remember seeing it.

www.usthrillrides.com/

The specifics on the Polercoaster can be found here:

www.usthrillrides.com/products/polercoaster/

I see the article mentions utilizing third party companies to help make the ride:

Celtic Engineering, Haskell Steel, and S&S~Sansei
Edited by arby

Looks cool otherwise and I hope the mention of S&S and inversions will produce some elements that will switch the direction of the descent and keep the ride from becoming one long spiral turn to the right.

I also thought about that. It really would be important for the ride to do something other than spiraling down to the right. Probably it will have some elements that switch the direction (I guess). Looks like a very cool and original concept.

Thought that if this project became real, the first one should be at Las Vegas. Was a sourprise reading that is going to be anywhere else...

By the way, have you tried to do something like that in NL? I "did it". Was like drop > helix > loooooooooong brake section. Looked awesome, but it wasn't fun at all...

Looks like a crazy new version of the taboggin' coaster that I used to see at the state fair & at Dogpatch USA where the car went up inside, came out the top & went down & around the outside of the 'tree' except in this case it uses an elevator...interesting.

Maybe best of all, it looks like this won't be the only Polercoaster of 2014:

According to the company, USTR will announce other Polercoaster sales in the next few weeks.

Maybe the Vegas PoleDancercoaster is still happening? Either way, 2014 looks to be a great year for S&S.

Anyways, this looks like easily the most unique coaster to come out in a long while. Given their success with the El Loco's in building exciting small footprint coasters, if anyone could make a great layout for one of these it'd be S&S. My dream layout would include some El Loco style outside banked turns at the top, some twisty inversions and direction changes midway down, and a fast spiraling finish.

Maybe best of all, it looks like this won't be the only Polercoaster of 2014:
According to the company, USTR will announce other Polercoaster sales in the next few weeks.

Maybe the Vegas PoleDancercoaster is still happening? Either way, 2014 looks to be a great year for S&S.

As an engineer, I'd be extremely reluctant to sell more than one of these at first. S&S did the same thing when they first introduced the Screaming Swing. They sold several, and they were all plagued with problems. They need to build only one prototype, fix all of the bugs, and then they can sell a bunch.

^ That may be true, but S&S has a history of bad prototypes. I can still remember waiting forever for Hypersonic XLC because of how many times it broke down. A project like the Polercoaster is very ambitious. If they sell a handful of these and they're all crap, it's going to be a PR nightmare for S&S.

Not too concerned about them getting it up and working...

Yes, S&S has had some bad karma with getting new designs up and running, but those were rides that reinvented the industry. the 4D was a challenge wight he weight of the trains, the XLC was using air (which was never done before).

This does not look to be too difficult to get going...

...then again, it could be plagued for a long time...

Im hoping for a POV, as I can not truly understand the layout of these things just yet...

I found out about this a while ago, and heard rumors about the thing being pitched in Vegas, but I would have never guessed this would open in my own backyard!!!! This more than makes up for SFOG's lack of a new coaster in the foreseeable future. It does seem random to build such a huge attraction in the middle of North Georgia, but then again my state has been pitching lots of crazy new developments like a new Falcons stadium and a new Braves stadium.

Now that you mention it, this will be putting the pressure on SFOG to come up with a new coaster to compete with LakePoint.