TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Today's Burning Question - SoCal or Central Florida?

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Both are year round destinations so it's close, but for me, Southern California wins out. I like it's proximity to San Diego Zoo and Wild Animal Park, Knotts Berry Farm, Disneyland and California Adventure, Universal Studios Hollywood and Six Flags Magic Mountain. I get to Florida every year, where unfortunately I only get to California every five years or so. It's more expensive to go to California, but SO worth it for entertainment. Great beaches too.

Florida for me. The overall quality of the parks is better and far more of them are year round.

The only draw back to SoCal for me is carsland. I'd live to go and visit again some day but I'd always prefer to go to Florida that little bit more!

Not even a contest - Orlando

The parks are much better (WDW craps all over Disneyland), it's much easier to get around (SoCal traffic sucks!), and there's way less "attitude" among the park visitors, particularly the locals. I know some would bemoan the fact that there's nothing like SFMM in Orlando, but I'd also count this as an extreme positive, having been to SFMM...

dt

I would actually argue DLR's individual parks are better then WDW's individual park and its a sentiment echoed by many (not all but many) BUT with that said, its the WDW experience. You're in a different world locked away from the rest of society. DLR doesnt feel, at least to me, like its in its own bubble. Its been 8 years since I was last in Florida, but I'd definately jump at the oppurtunity to go again. WDW is the full package. dLR could be a weekend get away.

For theme parks, Central Florida wins hands down. So much to do in such a close area. Even the drive down to Tampa is closer than driving from LA to Legoland/Sea World. Then you add in the golf, theme parks, food, bars, beaches, watersports, etc. that are also so close by.

Southern California wins the weather battle, but that is about it. You could argue that if you count southern california as a whole, there are experiences that are equal to or better than orlando in "other" categories (and you'd probably be right), but all of that is so spread out and annoying to get to with traffic!

In terms of strictly parks, it's Central Florida for sure. But my personal preference is SoCal. Although keep in mind that I'm completely biased- I have lived and worked in SoCal over the past (almost) 3 years now, not to mention the countless vacations I've had there, and I have only visited Central Florida once. But I'm dying to return to Florida- I want to experience everything at WDW that I haven't had a chance to see, and Universal Orlando is also a must-see destination! Not to mention SeaWorld Orlando and Busch Gardens Tampa!

Central Florida for sure-

Because

Anything > LA Traffic (I know Orlando has traffic too, but no where as bad)

Seaworld Orlando > Seaworld San Diego

Busch Gardens Tampa > Knott's (closest thing)

LPZ> San Diego Zoo

DisneyWorld>Disneyland

Universal Florida>Universal Hollywood

Legoland Florida>Legoland California

Anything > Six Flags Magic Mountain

Edit: How could I forget!!! Epcot > All other parks in the world

I think for me, it would be Florida. We just visited and in four days we did Busch Gardens, Universal and Islands of Adventure for two days, and all four Disney parks in one day, and also Fun Spot.

We had such a great time, we are now thinking about moving down there in a year or so. I've got my partner really into Theme Parks, and being that close to so many great parks and awesome year round weather is a huge pull for us. Not to mention the cost of living is not bad and you have the potential to live literally across the street from all these great parks!

Central Florida because as a Florida resident, I am contractually obligated to promote my state whenever possible to increase tourist dollars.

Also, dealing with daily thunderstorms in the Summertime and the occasional hurricane beats the Hell out of earthquakes, fires, landslides, and smog.

I guess I'd have to say SoCal, Since I live in Central Florida already.. Ha..

Although I don't think I'd like it any more then walking out my door and driving there in 10-20 minutes, while getting my Florida residents discount.

Our parks are certainly 100% better.

We've got barely any woodies here though... Gotta either go to Tampa or I think Fun Spot has one but... Eh