TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Today's Burning Question - Dollywood or Silver Dollar City?

Another vote for Silver Dollar City! While I think that Dollywood has better non-coaster rides, Cinnamon Bread, and slightly better staff, Silver Dollar City cannot be beat with coasters or the intangibles. Re-visiting both this year, it seemed like Silver Dollar City had more of everything with the exception of rides, and I find the theming more fully-implemented and intoxicating. I had already remembered SDC being better, but this year all it took was one stroll down the big hill by Wildfire, not even really doing much of anything, and I was like, yep, still better than Dollywood!

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Reading through the answers I realised I answered without even considering the coaster lineups! I love that the parks are so intricate and detailed that the coasters aren't even a factor for me! They're just great places to be, and on top of that they also have some pick ass rides!

Very tough call. I think SDC has the better coasters with Outlaw Run just putting everything to shame.

Dollywood has some great coasters though. (Tennessee Tornado and Thunderhead being the best IMO)

One detractor from SDC was their Trailblazer pass, they should really go ahead and get the Q-bots that Dollywood has.

I would also say I prefer Eastern Tennessee over Southwest Missouri, but seeing as that is not the question.

I would go with Silver Dollar City.

I would so pick SDC. SDC has extremely unique rides and most rollercoasters there rank high in most coaster polls. Outlaw run is just hands down amazing and the food here is great. I also love the cave tour. The theming is also very detailed. Just look at powder keg. So SDC it is for me

I love Dollywood (and have yet to visit SDC) but SDC has Outlaw Run which looks freaking amazing as well as two other highly ranked coasters in Powder Keg and Wildfire.

Based on that line-up alone, I would give them the edge over Thunderhead, Tennessee Tornado and Mystery Mine at Dollywood. I haven't been on Wild Eagle yet, but if it is less impressive than Gatekeeper (as many have said) there can't be any comparison to an out of control RMC woodie with loops.

The food looks just as delicious at SDC as Dollywood so I think that could be a draw.

Seriously thinking about trying to get to Branson for the holidays, but not sure if we could make the drive in a week from Western NY and have enough time to explore the park and the area. I assume that the area gets crazy busy around the Christmas holiday?

This is a difficult choice. Since both parks are similar e.g. mountain setting, rustic landscape, quality rides, cinnamon bread, food, yet unique e.g. Dollywood train, Outlaw Run, cave tours, this is, undoubtedly, a tough decision. I really enjoyed my visit to Dollywood. I loved Thunderhead, the train, and the ambiance. However, I visited SDC with TPR and it was fantastic, especially Outlaw Run ERT! That said, I will have to go with SDC, but only by a narrow margin.

I honestly cannot fairly decide since I have never been to Silver Dollar City. It is way up there on the places I want to go. But I do REALLY like Thunderhead and Tennessee Tornado is a good bit of fun too. Of course who can forget Wild Eagle... not so much the ride but the SONG. One trip to Dollywood... that song has been stuck in my head for months. I will vote Dollywood for now but one day Silver Dollar City may eclipse that.

Lol, who could forget the Wild Eagle song?

:in Dolly's voice: Be an eagle, not a chicken, flying is where it's at!

I will give Dollywood just the edge on character and charm, that's for sure!

Both parks are outstanding. Silver dollar city, for now(it gets the unfair advantage of being on the texas/midwest tour). However, another trip to pigeon forge and i could see it switching(a water park, water rides that were closed, a couple new credits, the craziness of pigeon forge(boat ride, zorbs etc)). Although unless a rmc shows up at dollywood(thunderhead is amazing but no outlaw run), i think SDC wins.

Edited by Vtafro

I've only been to Dollywood. It was pleasant but not my cup of tea. The coasters were good, not my favorites (not even Thunderhead, which didn't have much airtime for me). Wild Eagle has the best views but the ride was average. Tenn. Tornado had me wonder what Arrow could have done if they had continued as a company. Their S&S swing had the shortest ride cycle of any of the ones I've been on, I guess their customers are not seeking maximum thrill. It was also surprising to see how many motorized wheelchairs were there and their sizable handicapped parking lot. I'm sure Firechaser will be popular (Tennessee is crazy for fireworks) and would be surprised to see an extreme thrill ride ever built there.

I'm looking forward to Outlaw Run at some point and am intrigued they have a cave tour in the middle of SDC.

I have honestly been to neither park. And I have always known about Dollywood

since it first began operation. Silver Dollar City, not so much... until these past

few years. All the new stuff there, and the great comments about it. Now I feel

like if I had the choice of going to only one, I would go to SDC instead of DW.