TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Today's Burning Question - Cedar Point or Walt Disney World?

Walt Disney World. It's about a 10 hour drive either way for me to Disney or Cedar Point. Now it's cheaper to go to CP but the money is so much more worth it for the experience of Disney World. When you're at Disney, you just feel like you've reached paradise, well for me anyway, imo. Cedar Point is fun, not going to put it down in any way, but that's all it is, fun. Disney is so much more. The restaurants at Epcot can't be beat when it comes to theme parks. Magic Kingdom is the best park I've ever been too, the experience can't be beat. Hollywood Studios is going to be off the charts when Star Wars land is added and I'm sure Avatar is going to do great things for Animal Kingdom. Also, Cedar Point's Soak City is like a drop in the bucket when compared to Typhoon Lagoon and Blizzard Beach. Disney has so much to offer where CP just can't compare. Sorry Cedar Point...you lose on this decision.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've had a CF Platinum Pass for a couple of years now - still haven't made it up to the Point (I know, loss of nerd cred right there).

I took up distance running in order to have a reasonable "excuse" to head to Disney and spend $$ in significant quantities.

Much as I love coasters, gotta go with the World on this one.

If it was Cedar Point against just the Magic Kingdom, I would definitely go with Cedar Point. If you throw in Epcot, Animal Kingdom, Disney Studios, the two water parks and Downtown Disney, it's no question as to which one would/should win because of the extreme gap in variety & size. I would definitely go Disney resort as a whole.

A couple of people have mentioned the history of Disney...do they know that Cedar Point has been around a lot longer than Disney and has quite a storied history too? I am very intrigued by the history of this park and remember going when I was young when it was more of a well-rounded theme park with Jungle Larry's, Oceana, dark rides, the boat cruise and more attractions/shows. The big swing bands/dancing & the beach activities were all well before my time, but interesting to read about nonetheless.

The roller coaster wars have only been around since the late 80's. That's one thing about Ouimet that I am liking so far - it seems like he is trying to bring that well-rounded theme park image back to the Cedar Fair parks. While CP will never have the acreage (or weather) to compete with something the size of the Disney resort, it would be nice to have a somewhat similar complete resort for the Northern US population to enjoy.

I can say that having been to Cedar Point over 100 times in my life (and the fact that I'm getting older), I would rather it mold itself back into a complete family destination with more themed attractions as well as keeping up with it's thrill park coaster image of today. I would have no problem with them ripping out Iron Dragon, Corkscrew, Mantis & Mean Streak (unless they convert to hybrid) in place of better themed attractions in those areas.

It is a bit of an "apples and oranges" comparison if you look at this as a question of Cedar Point vs. Magic Kingdom (or any other individual Disney park). Both places take entirely different approaches to entertaining people. People who want "thrills" vote for Cedar Point, and those who are more into "themed environments" vote for Walt Disney World.

But if you look at it as "resort vs. resort," it isn't even a contest. Cedar Point isn't in the same league with Walt Disney World when it comes to that.

I haven't been to either one yet and would love to go to both. If we were comparing Cedar Point to just the Magic Kingdom Park at WDW, I would pick Cedar Point as the Magic Kingdom is similar to Disneyland Park which I've been too numerous times. But comparing Cedar Point to all of WDW? Let's see: one amusement park and one water park vs four theme parks and two water parks plus a entertainment district and much more. Comparing the Golden Ticket "best" amusement park to the best theme park resort destination in the world it's no contest for me, I'm going to pick WDW. Unless I'm footing the bill, then I might consider CP;)

I am late chiming in on this one, but for me the answer is Cedar Point, no contest. Nothing against Disney, as their quality, theming and service are impeccable, but I have just never been into the Disney Parks. I go to parks for the extreme coasters/thrill rides and although Disney does great family coasters, I have never found any of them to be very thrilling; I lived in So Cal for 20+ years and in that time, I went to Disneyland a grand total of three times and California Adventure once, whereas I went to Knott's/SFMM hundreds of times. I think some of it may also have to do with my earliest theme park experiences being at Six Flags rather than Disney.

Having been to both places only once, and back-to-back after my 2011 TPR trip, I'd say WDW wins even though I loved CP's coasters a lot.

We had 3 glorious days of CP plus all the extra ERT and backstage, yet found we had 'done the park' after a day or so and were doing repeat rides or just chilling out. After that, I went to Orlando for 2 weeks and with a 5 day WDW pass saw enough Disney to make myself feel sick.

I don't know when or if I'll ever see either park again, but if somebody said they'd pay my round the world airfares to repeat only one choice of either CP or WDW, I'd have to choose WDW because it is truly unique in the world for its attention to detail, continual renewal, and its legacy. I could re-visit WDW and still discover a lot I missed the first time, whereas IMO quite a few places in the world could match or surpass CP's offerings (great as they are!).