TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Today's Burning Question! Six Flags or Cedar Fair?

I've only been to the CF and SF parks on the West Coast, but I have to give the edge to Cedar Fair. Six Flags wins on rides (coasters specifically) because of Magic Mountain, but Cedar Fair wins on everything else: service, efficiency, cleanness, etc. And when you count all the CF and SF parks, Cedar Fair would probably win because of Cedar Point (but not only because of Cedar Point) being the best of all of these CF/SF parks.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I prefer Cedar Fair Parks. My opinion is somewhat biased since I have been to more Cedar Fair parks, but I love the atmospheres at all of the ones I have been to, even Michigan's Adventure! Plus Magnum, my favorite coaster, is at Cedar Point.

I would say Cedar Fair, since I think they are moving in the right direction now under Matt Ouimet. Six Flags seems a bit trashy having ads plastered everywhere in the queues, pathways, and train wraps. The Cedar Fair parks just seem more pleasant these days, better kept up than the Six Flags parks.

I have only been to a Six Flags but from what I see on here and heard from my friends who have gone to CP and DP I would have to say Cedar Fair.

Cedar Fair appeals more to families with a better atmosphere and less advertisements placed all over the park and rides.

I prefer Cedar Fair... Six Flags always seems to follow in Cedar Fairs steps... IE: Top Thrill Dragster and Kingda Ka... Six Flags parks always seem in need of some TLC where most Cedar Fair parks for the most part look better! Hands down I will always chose a Cedar Fair park over a Six Flags park.

I've grown up literally on Six Flags starting with SFoT, then SFAW, and then SFFT as my home park and former employer......however I go with Cedar Fair on this burning question. Before 1998, Six Flags parks pretty much had their own personality (for the most part, not completely)so to speak but post Premier, They've just gotten way too cookie cutter for my taste.

Cedar Fair can be a little cookie cutter on a few rides here and there (i.e. WindSeekers everywhere) but over all I feel they have a better variety of coasters from park to park.

I missed this one the other day. Probably one of the most difficult option of these for me...can I answer Herschend?

Kidding aside...there are pros and cons for me of both SF and CF. I love what CF has done with Knott's since they took over; not only the thrill rides like Silver Bullet, Supreme Scream and Xcelerator, but also how they freshened up the Boardwalk, took the care to rehab Timber Mountain, and area doing an excellent job of making the park more balanced, adding new while taking the time to preserve the classic. That said, there have been decisions they made there which I was not fond of: I think they should have painted Silver Bullet something more like Wildfire at Silver Dollar City instead of bright red and yellow, and taken the time to maintain the lake with the boat ride around it intact as per the original plans, I think they should do something with the old Kingdom of the Dinosaurs space, and then you have the 300 foot tall derp, Windseeker, which IMHO was not a very smart decision for any of the parks that got them; when I finally got the nerve to get on Windseeker at Carowinds, it broke down. (These things just keep having issues...) Then there was the while debacle with Vertigo which failed, the great real estate they could use for a flat ride being used for an upcharge ride, and I won't even get started on how I think Pony Express was a great idea that did not quite live up to the execution with such a brief ride time and squeezed in location.

As far as other parks-the only other CF parks I have been to are Carowinds and Worlds Of Fun; I thought both were very well put together. Worlds Of Fun's Haunt was almost up there with Knott's. As far as Halloween events, CF wins that contest hands down.

I think the new guy at CF is doing an excellent job and I have to say I was very impressed with their latest coaster additions (Gatekeeper which revitalized the entrance at Cedar Point, and Banshee which was a very well thought out replacement for Son Of Beast). Plus, they seem to value the delicate balance between extreme thrills and family friendliness and are working on improving that at all of their parks based on what I see them doing.

Six Flags...SFOG is my home park, and although to me the real standout is Goliath, they have a decent selection of coasters. The last few times I have visited, service and cleanliness have been above par, although operations have been hit and miss up until recently. I still love most of the coasters of SFMM (although I was not too pleased that they took out Log Jammer there). However, despite some shining examples of customer service at SFOG I have seen, overall as a chain, SF operations are not as impressive to me as the ones I have seen at CF parks, and the food options need serious work. I don't know how it is at SFMM presently, but it seems since Jay Thomas departed that operations and the park overall is not doing as well as it was for a few years.

Having visited Dollywood multiple times this year and Silver Dollar City once and contrasting the experiences there with those at SF and CF parks, I have to say that both have some work to do still on multiple fronts.

Given all of this, I would have to say that of the two, Six Flags and Cedar Fair I am going to have to at the moment say that although it is very, very close-I think the edge is going to go to Cedar Fair for the moment. I still want to visit some more of their parks and Six Flags parks before I can reach a definitive though.

Definately Cedar Fair. I admit I grew up at Cedar Point so I am biased however, they have ramped up the park experience in the past couple of years. You cannot beat the coaster / thrill ride variety and the location Rocks! Besides....why would you support SF when they filed bankruptcy and literally screwed over how many businesses / suppliers? CF toughed it out and look at their stock prices!!

I vote Cedar Fair. They have less of a corporate feel and seem to care about the customers more than Six Flags Parks. Also, in my opinion, CF owns some of the best parks in the world with CP and KI.

Definitely Cedar Fair. While I'm not a hater of Six Flags, I think growing up at Knott's really made Cedar Fair have a home like welcoming effect on me, and it shows everytime I go to Knott's. Even now that I work there, the feeling of a family and community in the park has only improved and it's something that just makes me feel that much more welcome.

Cedar Fair takes it for me. I love the amusement atmosphere they have at their parks. And even though my home park is SFGAm, I just don't like the "corporate" atmosphere you get at the Six Flags parks. Not to mention Cedar Fair parks generally have better food options than Six Flags.