• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kumba

Hulk

Wildfire

a picture of Led Zep/Time Machine

I get the feeling that Dragon Khan would place toward the top of that list near Kumba if I ever manage to give it a spin. I really wanted to walk away impressed by Wildfire, but found it underwhelming- Powder Keg may have had something to do with that (in hindsight, I probably should have tackled Wildfire before Powder Keg when I first visited SDC). I think the second-gen B&M looper trains (while very comfortable) may have had a hand in it as well.

...Led Zep/Time Machine

Does anyone know why B&M have only ever built just 5 sitdown looping coasters? They've managed 13 foorless and 7 stand-ups, but the sitdowns seem to me more popular... I understand the stand-ups offer a more unique experience, but the floorless' are pretty well the same (obviously with nowhere to put your feet!). I just find it strange that their most basic design (and some of their most popular) has resulted in the least number of coasters.

Doing a little further research I've compared the B&M coaster types found out that B&M sitdowns are the least built model line, while inverts are the most popular:

Inverted: 31

Floorless: 13

Hyper: 12

Flying: 8 (with another one to come)

Wing: 7

Stand-Up: 7

Dive: 7

Sitdown: 5

^I think the question is why don't their floorless coasters (at least most of them) have the same intensity as their sitting ones? Obviously, if they did, then they would be perfect as they're essentially sitting coasters with no floor (which should only enhance the ride experience). In that case, they would be all we needed as what we really want (I think) is the intensity of their older models and not the sitdown trains themselves.

Ive only ridden Hulk and Wildfire. Overall, I prefer Hulk due to the fact that even though the MCBR kinda kills the momentum of the ride, the first half of the ride is amazing. At the same time I feel that Wildfire is simply too short.

My theory as to why B&M have not built more sitting coasters, seems they specialize in different from everyone else. Not everyone can make a floorless coaster, a decent suspended looping coaster, wing coasters, etc. If they made a bunch of sitting coasters, then what would make them different from everyone else?

My theory as to why B&M have not built more sitting coasters, seems they specialize in different from everyone else. Not everyone can make a floorless coaster, a decent suspended looping coaster, wing coasters, etc. If they made a bunch of sitting coasters, then what would make them different from everyone else?

The fact that they would be awesome and have next to no downtime!

Based on very limited experience, I would have to go with Incredible Hulk at IOA, with Led Zeppelin/Time Machine at Hard Rock/Freestyle Music Park being the only other one I have ridden. However, contrary to popular belief, I thought Zeppelin was very solid and a great multi-looping coaster for any small to medium park to have. So both B&M sit-downs have been nothing but good to me.

• 1 month later...

This past week we took a trip to Florida and visited Sea World, Busch Gardens, Universal, Islands of Adventure, both Fun Spot's and the park at Daytona beach... all for the first time. We rode a lot of great coasters but I thought Kumba was far and away the best of them all. Between Kumba and Montu, Busch Gardens Tampa just made me mad at B&M for the uninspired loopers they build now.

I never understood the hype about Kumba from looking at it as it doesn't look that much different than the other B&M coasters in pictures, and even though I know you can't judge a ride based on what it looks like I couldn't help it because most B&M looping coasters look the same and ride the same. There's no originality to any of them.

The thing that makes Kumba different is that it takes every element at an insanely fast speed and has a few quirks to it that would be smoothed over with a long, drawn out, perfectly executed but completely boring transition in a newer B&M coaster. Riding Kumba in any seat is great, but riding it in the back right seat is ridiculous... and that zero G roll should be illegal in most states. The ride is out of control but still really smooth despite it's age. I still can't believe B&M built it. Kumba is one of the most amazing coasters I've ever ridden.

PS: We did ride Hulk for the first time this trip and it was a great ride, but it doesn't even belong in the same conversation as Kumba.

Edited by coasterbill

I've only ridden Hulk, and found it to be a very intense ride. I hope to try Kumba soon, but I know i'll like it! Dragon Khan sounds fun too. Riding Wildfire at Silver Dollar City would be nice too, so i'll add that to the bucket list as well.

I know a lot of people will disagree with me, but Wildfire isn't all that great. While it's certainly smooth and forceful at some parts, I found that my rides weren't anything special. I've ridden Hulk as well, which is rougher but more forceful and (IMHO) more fun.

I've only ridden Hulk, and found it to be a very intense ride. I hope to try Kumba soon, but I know i'll like it! Dragon Khan sounds fun too. Riding Wildfire at Silver Dollar City would be nice too, so i'll add that to the bucket list as well.

I know a lot of people will disagree with me, but Wildfire isn't all that great. While it's certainly smooth and forceful at some parts, I found that my rides weren't anything special. I've ridden Hulk as well, which is rougher but more forceful and (IMHO) more fun.

I agree with this. While I was expecting some old school B&M force, Wildfire is kind of forceless except for it's incredible first drop.

I've had two different experiences on Kumba. The first time I rode it was in the late afternoon and it was incredible. It was smooth, with plenty of force without being overwhelming. The zero-g roll is spectacular, there is some serious weightlessness. Last time I rode it, about a month ago, it was in the morning around 10. It was pretty rough, even a little headbanging, especially through the second half. It was still enjoyable, and the zero g roll was great, but was also felt a little more sluggish through the layout than my previously mentioned ride. Has anyone else experienced this morning/afternoon difference on Kumba, or is it just me?