TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Official TPR Video Thread!

How long ago were the modifications made for two trains in the loops? I'd love to see a video of that.

Here's a quick little video I put together of some footage I shot in 2000. I didn't use this in the video above just because I was trying to keep things HD and bit more current. Also, this footage, IMO, isn't very good, even by my standards, too much stuff obstructing the view, etc, but here it is anyway....

The first pass of the two trains is PERFECT and you didn't catch that very often. The second pass is what I feel like you saw most of the time, where they were CLOSE, but off just a little bit...

Thank you for that, that was exactly what I wanted to see. Like when I used to walk past Eagle's Fortress on every trip to Everland, or the fact when I do make it out to parks such as IOA, it always makes me a little bit sad I can't experience a ride in its original glory, I bet the view seeing the other train passing would have been great.

Edited by robbalvey

My understanding is that having a train in each loop at the same time put too much strain on the structure.

Your understanding makes no sense considering both loops are on separate independent structures.

You know, I'm going to take the word of someone who has lived in Williamsburg for many years, frequents the park, attends media events, and has had many, many conversations with the upper management at the park as a representative of TPR over some guy from California who probably hasn't spent much time at Busch Gardens Williamsburg. Am I right?

You could also not be so god damn rude in your responses. Especially to a moderator. I won't tolerate this.

And for what it's worth, I was told the exact same thing by both the park management and someone who used to work for Arrow.

Edited by robbalvey

My understanding is that having a train in each loop at the same time put too much strain on the structure.

Your understanding makes no sense considering both loops are on separate independent structures.

I LOVE TO ARGUE FOR THE SAKE OF ARGUING!!!!

I'm enjoying these videos of classic Arrow coasters. Takes me back to my childhood, when I started getting into rollercoasters and I dreamed of becoming a coaster designer for Arrow Dynamics because they were building the biggest and "best" rollercoasters in the world. While B&M was becoming a big player with rides like Batman, Kumba, Nemesis and Raptor, Arrow sure was getting a hell of a lot more attention for their record breakers!

I know I've said this before on the Facebook posts, Robb, but it bears repeating.

THANK YOU for these coaster classics videos! It is awesome to see both the POVs and off-ride footage, and by placing them in their proper historical context and utilizing vintage footage, it really helps me gain an understanding of why these rides have withstood the test of time. When we understand the past, it helps us appreciate the present and anticipate the future. I look forward to future entries in this series. Keep up the great work!

Great video!

Riding in the middle row of any car (i.e. any non wheel seat) on Magnum mitigates the roughness tremendously, even in the back. It's always surprised me how this is not better known. That said, I do understand why Magnum isn't everyone's cup of tea.

The complaints about the airtime being painful on people's thighs are a different story. Is it just me or did the concept of "painful airtime" not even largely exist until Skyrush came around and made it a thing? I don't remember anyone making this complaint about Magnum until just the last couple of years.

The complaints about the airtime being painful on people's thighs are a different story. Is it just me or did the concept of "painful airtime" not even largely exist until Skyrush came around and made it a thing? I don't remember anyone making this complaint about Magnum until just the last couple of years.

I have always found Magnum's airtime to be extremely painful and unpleasant. That being said, I actually don't find Skyrush's airtime painful at all.

I have always found Magnum's airtime to be extremely painful and unpleasant. That being said, I actually don't find Skyrush's airtime painful at all.

Used to agree, but sucked it up because the ejector was fun. However, since adding the seatbelts, I find that a tight seatbelt relieves this problem. The seatbelts put this ride back in my top 10.

You don't get this type of ejector on MF or a B&M!

Interesting. I find both pleasant but for me skyrush's is a lot worse. Not because the restraints are worse (they aren't) but because the air is much stronger. I think skyrush with magnum's restraints would be unbearable.

That being said, I do enjoy both rides (especially skyrush)

^ Magnum's restraints on SkyRush would probably cut you off at the torso and throw your lifeless body into the pond below the tracks!

Although I know a lot of people don't care for Magnum, I still have a fondness for it and try to get at least one ride in per visit (night rides are great).

I have ridden the "special seat" and every other seat on this coaster, but still prefer the next to the last seat. That first drop overlooking Lake Erie is just too awesome although I agree that the bunny hills can be a bit much on the upper thighs. I know I couldn't marathon this coaster - one or two rides is good for me.