TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Official TPR Video Thread!

I rode Roar in 2013 and thought it was a very good coaster, and this still seems like a wasteful decision to me. I know the RMC will be a superior experience, but Roar was still a good coaster and it's sad to see it go. I can't wait to see what they do with the layout though.

I wonder what stupid variation on the name "Roar" they'll decide to pull. It baffles me how SF thought that something like "Twisted Colossus" was an even remotely acceptable name. If you have to change the name to emphasize that it's a different ride, why not something decent like "Iron Colossus"? "New Texas Giant" is a pretty lame one too, but at least they didn't try to make it stupid.

I'm calling "Mr. Six's angry Roar when he's woken up from his nap at the nursing home -- The Ride"

I'm calling "Mr. Six's angry Roar when he's woken up from his nap at the nursing home -- The Ride"

That has a nice ring to it.

I'm very interested to see what RMC does with this. It looked like a solid layout beforehand, so I am very excited to see an insane layout come out of it.

• 2 weeks later...

If I ever owned a park, I would totally go out of my way to find one of these and install it. Still one of the greats! I have such fond memories of my first ride on White Lightning at Carowinds.

My Dad and I waited for what seemed like forever to ride in the front. When we finally got on the ride, it didn't launch properly. We rolled out to the loop, made it about a half way into the loop and then rolled back about half way to the station. The ride ops and maintenience people had to walk out to us on the catwalks and push us back into the station. They unloaded the train, reset the ride, then tested it once. Then they loaded us back on the train. I was terrified! I remember the ride op saying over the intercom, "OK, Here goes nothing. If something goes wrong, you all will be the first to know. Lightning strikes now!" And he launched the train.

I have been in love with shuttle loop coasters ever since!

I secretly pray for a rollback anytime I get on any coaster.

Classic, legendary, and historical rides coming to the TPR YouTube Channel & Facebook page!

Now that school is back in and summer is almost officially over, TPR is going to take a look at some of the rides that changed amusement park history, created landmark attractions for parks, and broke new records! Starting this Saturday and throughout the month of September we'll have new videos showcasing some classic rides from Arrow Dynamics & Schwarzkopf, and some of the most popular modern day rides from Intamin & B&M!

We'll start this Saturday, September 5th with a look at Loch Ness Monster at Busch Gardens Williamsburg! One of the most classic & legendary Arrow Dynamics rides and we'll even feature a little bit of the history of this landmark attraction! Be sure to check out our YouTube channel this weekend!

Thank you to everyone for your support!

lochness_thumb.thumb.jpg.20c62ff5f9cc5abbf63161f24cad18c7.jpg

Edited by robbalvey

Amazing video as always. What exactly were the modifications that prevented the two trains from going through the loops together? It would be great if they could run it like that again.

They make sure they do not dispatch the trains so they can't do that anymore. I believe the modifications were mostly in software.

Check out the legendary Lochness Monster at Busch Gardens Williamsburg!

I really liked the little facts displayed on the bottom before the POV, sometimes I skip the off-ride bits straight to the POV (sorry ) but this not only made me stick around but I learnt more than I thought I would. How long ago were the modifications made for two trains in the loops? I'd love to see a video of that.

The reason the trains can't go through the loops at the same time is because the speed of lift 1 was decreased. This was done for two reasons, one of which takes some explaining.

1) three trains cannot stack on this ride. That means if they take too long to dispatch, a train stops on lift 2. The slower lift 1 speed gives more time for dispatch when loading disabled guests.

2) when the trains could do a "double looper," a train would leave lift 1 with another train on lift 2 still. This meant that if something went wrong bringing a train into the station that took longer than normal, you'd stop a train on lift 2, with a train already clear of lift 1. That means the train off lift 1 would stop on the C block brakes just before the tunnle. For some reason, Arrow made those brakes too short and perfectly level. So, if a train stops there, they need to send a maintenance person out to manually winch it forward into the cave. This is a huge pain and takes a lot longer than just turning the lifts back on. On the new settings, if a train "sets up" or stops on lift 2, the ride op can manually stop the train on lift 1 and prevent a block brakes set up.

Basically, now they have far fewer setups while loading disabled guests, and far fewer block brake setups, but unfortunately they cannot do double loopers anymore as a result. The change was made in the 2003 season iirc.

For those that have never seen it, here is video of the glorious double looper!

https://youtu.be/QdyeiGPEywg&t=3m28s

How long ago were the modifications made for two trains in the loops? I'd love to see a video of that.

Here's a quick little video I put together of some footage I shot in 2000. I didn't use this in the video above just because I was trying to keep things HD and bit more current. Also, this footage, IMO, isn't very good, even by my standards, too much stuff obstructing the view, etc, but here it is anyway....

The first pass of the two trains is PERFECT and you didn't catch that very often. The second pass is what I feel like you saw most of the time, where they were CLOSE, but off just a little bit...

Edited by robbalvey

Thanks for sharing that Robb! Any chance you have an old b roll pov from the park from before 2003? I'd throw money at you to see a nostalgic pov from the old lift 1 speed and with the cheesy special effects in the tunnle!

I have some stuff I shot, but it's on other tapes that aren't currently captured... One day I'll post it!