TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Best first drop on a steel coaster?

I know for some reason enthusiasts love to bash Gatekeeper but how anyone could not like that drop is beyond me. The drop is amazing, the location is amazing, the slow twist is great. I don't see what's not to like about that drop, or really the ride in general.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know for some reason enthusiasts love to bash Gatekeeper but how anyone could not like that drop is beyond me. The drop is amazing, the location is amazing, the slow twist is great. I don't see what's not to like about that drop, or really the ride in general.

Yeah, I really liked GateKeeper, especially the drop. It's not my #1 fave drop, but it's up there.

Yes the first drop is good. And really the whole first half (I mean, until the dive loop) is not bad but the crappy ending doesn't help giving people a good impression of the ride.

Probably I305, although it's brutal.

Ugh.

I have never heard such BLASTPHEMY about my favorite coaster!!!

Anyway, why do you think it's so brutal. Ever since the drop and turn was reprofiled and they took the trims off, I305 has turned from an overrated gimmicky coaster to a fun, twisty, X-TREME, airtime machine!

Raging Bull when you sit farther back because of the great floater air. Spongebob Squarepants Rock Bottom Plunge also has a pretty steep and intense drop. I have a feeling that MF or TTD will probably take the title next year.

In NO particular order: Kingda Ka, amazing view on the top and on the way down! X-Flight, the fact that it was slow did not help! Millennium Force, just pure dread and excitement! Maverick, airtime! Sheikra... That anticipation was like no other! I could just go on and on... but I'll restrict it to these few.

• 10 months later...

It's hard to choose, but I'd say Maverick/Fury 325/NTAG, in that order.

Maverick delivers a wonderfully abrupt moment of airtime, Fury gives you time to appreciate the Charlotte skyline before floating for what seems like forever toward a more forceful pullout than expected, and NTAG resides directly in between. I definitely appreciate Millennium for the view, but I just don't feel the impact of falling 300' there having ridden in the front, back and middle.

As soon as I get my stank booty up on I305 and Skyrush, tho...

Top 3

I305's for me, but barely. It's only *great* because of the cable lift really, and the crest is tight so that helps. The pullup is really high up though so that kinda kills it. Also, for some reason it was lackluster in the front, in the back you get launched over the top and dragged down.

El Toro's drop is amazing in the front, but even better in the back when halfway through the turn you're already accelerating (gotta love those long trains!) The drop radius is so huge that you feel like you just keep falling steeper and steeper, and finally you pull up.

I don't remember much about it, but Behemoth's drop being slightly longer and steeper and longer than Nitro's really made it a lot better. It was fantastic in the front, and I can only imagine how good the drop is in the back because of the longer trains.

El Toro's drop is amazing in the front, but even better in the back when halfway through the turn you're already accelerating (gotta love those long trains!) The drop radius is so huge that you feel like you just keep falling steeper and steeper, and finally you pull up.

I agree, no drop can ever beat El Toro's drop. Easily my favorite first drop on any coaster.

... but you might want to re-read the thread title.