TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Best first drop on a steel coaster?

I've ridden I305, Skyrush and Maverick but my favorite first drop on a steel coaster is Millennium Force. I love how it keeps getting steeper as it goes on and the view at the crest of the hill is awesome. I prefer El Toro's drop but Millennium Force is my favorite on a steel coaster.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've not gotten the chance to sample coasters overseas, but from what I've been on in the US/Canada, I like to think that there is some nice variety in the bunch. Raging Bull at SFGAm is the winner in my book. It doesn't need a vertical (or a gimmicky beyond vertical) drop to accomplish that- just a gradual little dip prior to the fact (best taken in the last row). It's sad that B&M designed them out of their rides before the majority of their 200+ footers were built.

For me it has to be Sheikra and Leviathan. That drop on Leviathan just seems to last forever and you feel like you're coming out of your seat. Then Sheikra with that moment of anticipation just makes that drop all the more thrilling. Plus there's that nice pull of G's at the bottom of Sheikra's drop.

I love the first drops on Skull Mountain at SFGAdv and Runaway Mountain at SFOT. They may not be the largest, but they are in dark and larger and steeper than you would expect, making for an awesome surprise.

Please don't shoot or hate, but I really like the Togo stand-ups in the back row. Good airtime and standing up makes it kinda freaky.

Skyrider is loaded with airtime from the drops to its major airtime hill to its bunny hills, so I actually agree with you. What kills the ride though is the helix of death.

I haven't been on many coasters, however Leviathan wins this for me. That drop just seems to last forever and get steeper and steeper.

I have two:

X2: Simply due to the thrill of being rotated in your seat to dive head first at 122km/h. The greatest feeling I've ever had on any coaster

and

Goliath: As the drop is only 61 degrees, the 78m drop feels never ending! So fast too, and the pull out is very sharp creating a lot of Gs

I vote for I305, with its grayout-inducing turn, but it's hard to go wrong with the first drops of any Intamin hyper or giga coaster. And even though I'm not a fan of the ride overall, I do like Gatekeeper's initial curving drop.

The most awesome drop on a steel coaster that I've ever experienced was on Skyrush in the back seat - I can't imagine what it was like before they slowed the ascent at the top. Other ones I liked a lot was on Millennium Force and I-305 (rode it after the trims were removed and after the bottom of the drop was re-profiled), and also the drop on Griffon - straight down and I like the way it stops at the top for a few seconds.

• 2 weeks later...