TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

What coaster do you hate that everone else loves?

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 years later...

Once upon a time I once hated the SKYRUSH at Hersheypark because it was more of a THIGH-BUST. Then I learn of a technique in which we place both hands underneath your lap restraints and pull up whenever you hit an air-timed hill. Now my thighs don't hurt anymore when I finally reach the station and I can enjoy the ride more.

Intimidator 305. What’s the appeal of this ride? I don’t find being squished by geforces and nearly blacking out the entire time a pleasurable experience. It sure is a cool ride and the transitions are unbelievable, but as for the rest of the ride experience I find it incredibly uncomfortable.

Steel Dragon 2000 with the B&M trains. Hated it.

I rode in the middle of the train because my fatty-fat-fat thighs were too thick for the front. Somehow Hanno and Robb managed to staple me in and off we go. The lift hill was great but everything after that was like being in a 9.6 earthquake. It was honestly one of the most painful experiences I've ever had on a coaster, and please note I grew up next to SFGAdv and rode Viper like the dickens.

To my surprise, though, everyone else on the trip loved the hell out of the ride. They all said it was smooth with tons of airtime. I had the polar opposite experience. I'm open to the possibility I just got a really bad seat and I would ride it again if the opportunity presented itself, though.

I'm usually pretty good at finding the good in every coaster; I'd rather be on a coaster than not.

That being said, if someone could please explain the hype around Afterburn I would very much appreciate it. It was my 6th and most recent B&M invert and falls nicely into place as my 6th favorite B&M invert.

Raven at Holiday World. Years of hype, so many high rankings, everyone considering it a kickass woodie with an epic final drop... please.

I rode it in 2017 with high hopes, but my lap bar came down several notches during the ride, making it super painful all around. Worse yet, all the forces I expected to have were barely there, and the famous last drop gave decent floater at best. Really need some re-rides on it.

Right now Im gonna say Voyage. I really need to get back down there and give it another try and see if its better now

Agree...

And I so wanted to like it. I rode about 10 times in different rows/seats and every single ride sucked! It's still the only coaster to make my knees actually knock together. And the jackhammering, my goodness...

I'm usually pretty good at finding the good in every coaster; I'd rather be on a coaster than not.

That being said, if someone could please explain the hype around Afterburn I would very much appreciate it. It was my 6th and most recent B&M invert and falls nicely into place as my 6th favorite B&M invert.

I've ridden 9 B&M inverts and Afterburn is firmly in my top spot. There is not an inch of track wasted. It has an inversion for every 492.7 feet of track, which is the lowest among all B&M inverts. And it is the fourth fastest among B&M inverts. It is relentless and awesome.

(Yes, I made a spreadsheet of all B&M inverts and their pertinent stats)

It's not one ride, but as someone who nauseates easily, hang-time becoming a praised, deliberate coaster feature stinks for me. I also think it's just less fun than ripping through inversions -- there's a reason people miss the pace of old B&Ms. When lumbering slowly upside-down is the point, I wish the whole idea would stay in the realm of wacky flat rides.

Yes, RMC stalls are cool-looking, and at least they're change-ups on otherwise relentless layouts, but your jojo rolls, wing coasters, slow Gerstauler loops -- no thank you.

^^-- I think the best inversion is Dominator's loop in the back half of the train. It's not hangtime, it's genuine upside-down airtime.

My least favorite coasters that others actually like are Flying coasters. I can see they might be fun with friends so you can laugh at each other, I've laughed sometimes because they are so ridiculous. It's not really the concept either: the drop swooping out over the lake on Nighthawk is one of the finest moments on any coaster -- but enduring the rest of the ride still isn't worth it. And fans of them seem to think the loops, especially the B&M pretzels, are the best part. It's not just that you're on your back and the forces are extreme, your feet are then higher than your head. It's too close to going through a loop hanging by your ankles. There can be a nice pop of air going into them, wow airtime on a coaster, maybe they could have concentrated on airtime instead of elements intent on reminding you that man can't really fly. I do have some hope F.L.Y. could be the beginning of a better generation of flying coasters as I don't see any loops, but a Volare doesn't have any loops either.

I think inverts are extra subjective -- all coasters vary a lot in impression if you ride them enough but inverts especially so. My first rides on Afterburn were mediocre but when I came by later I started with front row and they had the mist on in the trench and I really enjoyed it. Experienced similar with Batman and Alpengeist. I don't think Afterburn is the best, but it's solidly on the continuum between smaller whippy asphalt lot B&M inverts and giant terrain ones.

I've ridden 9 B&M inverts and Afterburn is firmly in my top spot. There is not an inch of track wasted. It has an inversion for every 492.7 feet of track, which is the lowest among all B&M inverts. And it is the fourth fastest among B&M inverts. It is relentless and awesome.

(Yes, I made a spreadsheet of all B&M inverts and their pertinent stats)

Yeah, and I think I've said it before, but if I had the chance to do Afterburn again with these things in mind I think I'd enjoy it a lot more. I went in with virtually no expectation other than it being several TPR users' favorite invert. My impression was that it was a watered-down Raptor; just about equally as rough (I don't mind a slightly janky B&M, mind you) but with slightly less exciting elements and a slightly shorter ride. I didn't think it was a bad ride, but it definitely didn't blow my mind.

I consider Furius Baco to be one of the worst coasters I have ever ridden. I have ridden several SLC's, and all of them are smoother than Baco.

I would also mention Kärnan. I do not hate this coaster, but I do not think it is anywhere near the top ten in Europe as many others seem to think. It is very rough for a new steel coaster, and it has a ton of awkward transitions. The layout feels very meandering, like this coaster is trying to be I305 but not succeeding. I liked Fluch von Novgorod a lot better.

It's not one ride, but as someone who nauseates easily, hang-time becoming a praised, deliberate coaster feature stinks for me. I also think it's just less fun than ripping through inversions -- there's a reason people miss the pace of old B&Ms. When lumbering slowly upside-down is the point, I wish the whole idea would stay in the realm of wacky flat rides.

Yes, RMC stalls are cool-looking, and at least they're change-ups on otherwise relentless layouts, but your jojo rolls, wing coasters, slow Gerstauler loops -- no thank you.

I do mostly agree with you. While I don't mind a slow jojo roll to get things started or a faster heartline roll that still gives you negative Gs, I'm definitely not a fan of hangtime in more "traditional" inversions like loops and corkscrews. I remember once riding dragon khan at night and being upside down in its huge loop while still on my seat really felt cool because it almost made it seem like everything else was upside down and not me. That feel goes away when you clearly feel yourself hanging. Whether its tight loops that throw you over the top with great Gs or massive B&M loops which provide near weightlessness for a longer time, I find them more fun than these more modern hangtime inducing ones. I also love inversions which provide zero g (like zero g rolls or stalls) but, like you said, I wish the concept of leaving you hanging from your seat belonged to wacky flat rides (which, despite not making me sick at all, are not so fun to me)

Most of my unpopular coaster opinions come from enjoying coasters that most people dislike, not the other way around. The coasters that I *really* hate are usually universally hated (such as SLCs, early stand-up coasters, terrible woodies, etc.).

In terms of “overrated” coasters, or ones that left me disappointed or underwhelmed, I would say Iron Rattler. I enjoyed it, but people who rank it near the top of RMCs baffle me. The first drop and dive off the quarry were the only stand out moments for me.

I also don’t like Wicked at Lagoon too much. Not that it gets loads of praise to begin with, but it is definitely my third or fourth favorite ride at Lagoon. The top hat and zero-g are really the only good moments - the rest are pretty rough and boring.

EDIT: forgot I posted here like three years ago.

I've gone from hating Verbolten to being completely meh about it (but bitter such a meh ride replaced a legend). I now skip it every visit, but would give it another chance if they made an honest effort to make the show building not look like a Six Flags dumpster.

Of course, I'd get excited if they do decide to pull the plug and replace it within the next five years.

I am losing my love for Steel Vengeance. It's honestly just too much for me. It's fun, and I'll ride it, so I wouldn't say I HATE it. But I just don't enjoy it.

I don't think this is a stretch, but S&S 4D Free Spins. I genuinely hate that flipping and spinning on those style rides.

I also don’t like Wicked at Lagoon too much. Not that it gets loads of praise to begin with, but it is definitely my third or fourth favorite ride at Lagoon. The top hat and zero-g are really the only good moments - the rest are pretty rough and boring.

Completely agree here. Wicked is rough and the restraints are uncomfortable. It's not a bad ride; it has its moments. But, yeah, definitely not even top 3 in the park.