TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

What coaster do you hate that everone else loves?

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's pretty funny that in the last few pages we had 2 people complain about Kumba because it's "too forceful and intense". People like you are why Hydra exists and why we can't have nice things.

For me, Magnum was one of the biggest let downs. I really wanted to like it, and I loved first half of the ride and the airtime on the return trip, but any part of the bunny hills going back where you weren't in the air was terrible (By the way, I sat in Car one, row three and I had my seatbelt tightened to the point where I didn't even hit the lap bar at any time of the ride (Lap bar wasn't a problem for me)).

Hate is a strong word, but Nitro, I just didn't get it, sat in the back in the middle and the front, It wasn't bad just wasn't what everyone made it out to be. Having ridden Shambhala a few months prior I was kind of expecting something like that. But i felt like i got the opposite, the lay out was a little boring but I must say the helix is great. Again I liked it but wasn't raving about it so I was a little disappointed with that one.

I do not think it is that unique to hate on Titan/Goliath. After I ride a coaster, I like to think of how I would have designed it differently. For example, I would replace El Toro's trick-track finale with a few ejector hills. (The rest of the ride is perfect, but it really loses its pace after the end helix). However, Goliath is one of few coasters in which I would have a more difficult time coming up with a worse layout. (At least for a hyper coaster). I would like to know whose bright idea it was to put one airtime hill in a hyper coaster, and design the first drop so it does not provide airtime. However, both Giovanola hypers now have RMC's next to them, so neither park is short of airtime now.

But the coaster I really hate is The Beast. Again, it is another coaster of which it would require real effort to come up with a worse layout. However, I will say that it is a really great coaster at night. Riding in the black of night is the only time when I would deem it worthy of its top-ten status. However, a truly great coaster should be great no matter when you ride it. I know that different rides can be better at different times and at different points in the season, but when I board a top-tier coaster, I should be expecting a pretty good ride even when it is running at its worst. The Beast is not one of those coasters, so I rank it in my lower half of wood coasters I have ridden.

^I actually like The Beast's layout. Lots of speedy portions and big sweeping turns. If it were a little smoother it would probably be boring but the way it is it's actually pretty fun. Good laterals and g-forces all the way through. The setting makes the layout make sense, although removal of the trims and maybe some airtime would make it better. Beast is sort of like Millennium Force in terms of the layout. Speed and sensation of speed.

Another coaster that I don't like but pretty much everyone else does is Tennessee Tornado. It wasn't really any smoother than any of the other Arrow loopers I've been on, the seats are ridiculously cramped, and I got more smacks to the head than a Boomerang. Seriously, how on earth do you manage to get a giant headbang in the middle of a giant loop? The restraint also dug into my shoulders pretty bad.

The Voyage. I totally get why people love it. Its out of control and intense. But I just can't do it anymore. My neck sucks and when I road Voyage last weekend I felt just awful when I got off and am still recovering. Wish I had road it 6 years ago before I damn near broke my neck.

• 1 year later...

I guess I've become the resident Verbolten hater, beyond just "it replaced the Big Bad Wolf". The queue/station/vehicles make a great impression at first, but the show building is cheesy, and everything after the show building just feels out of place on an ostensibly family coaster. The ending will forever draw comparisons to the Big Bad Wolf's ending, and never measure up.

Only coaster to make me throw up. After that, and factoring how much of a downgrade it was from its predecessor, I consider it the worst major coaster in the Mid-Atlantic. Would rather take a beating from Green Lantern, Apocalypse, Mind Eraser, or Anaconda any day.

This is the only coaster I dislike that seems to be well-regarded.

Edited by SLCHeadache

Outlaw Run

I don't know if it was due to the heat, being stapled into my seat, or wear and tear, but I found this ride really unpleasant. I found the ride to be very rough with no airtime. I can see why people do like it though as if it were smooth, and you aren't stapled into your seat, the ride does look like it would be amazing. I just didn't get to experience such a ride.

Ninja and Riddler's Revenge @ SFMM.

Riddler has a fun layout, but is too dang painful. The first loop around the lift hill is fun, but it's followed by a minute or so of headbanging and leg cramps. I actually prefer Scream for this reason.

I get the nostalgia surrounding Ninja, with it being one of the few Arrow suspended swinging coasters left, but the seats are cramped and the layout is boring. I wouldn't be disappointed if the park decided to tear this down and replace it with a better family coaster.

Kumba still get's my vote for this one. . . It's not that I "hate" the ride. I just don't really care for it like everyone else who seems overly obsessed with it being the best coaster ever made.

That being said, I really don't like i305. Again, everyone raves that it's the best coaster out there... And when I rode it I got off the ride thinking... "That was it? What is all the hype about?" That being said, it was raining when I rode it, and really freaking cold. So the entire ride I was trying to protect my face from be pelted by rain, while my finger tips were freezing, and felt like they were about to fall off.... So maybe in 2018 when it's a dryer warmer day at the park my opinion might change on that one.

Kumba still get's my vote for this one. . . It's not that I "hate" the ride. I just don't really care for it like everyone else who seems overly obsessed with it being the best coaster ever made.

I don't want to sound like a cliché, but a good ride on Kumba really depends on where you sit. Front row is meh at best, back row is orgasmic (especially in the edge seats).