TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

What coaster do you hate that everone else loves?

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Goliath @ SFMM, the drop should be 20 degrees steeper, un-overbanked turn, one airtime hill (that barely has airtime), halting to essentially a complete stop at the MCBR, and an annoying helix at the end to dig it in.

Add Raptor at Cedar Point to my list. Everyone raves about how amazing and how great this coaster is... and I just don't get it. To me it's not that great, it's not that amazing, and the awful "snap" going into the brake run makes me really dislike the coaster.

I don't hate it but I find the Mindbender at SFOG incredibly boring. It' slams you to the sides of the train and the loops are boring and forceless. In General all the Anton coasters I have been on are mediocre. My favorite being Scorpion at Bush Gardens Tampa but it's still so boring and mediocre.

-Pretty much all of the US Intamin hypers. The trains have all developed some degree of rattle and "PTC shuffle" to them. The restraint change I find total garbage; they're now very uncomfortable for me to ride. The helixes, in truth, were never very powerful in terms of positive Gs. B&Ms are more extreme subjecting people to positive G loads. And in truth, Darien and SFA's Supermen have lousy, awful layouts. Complete crap pacing that looks like they were developed by a 6 year old kid and RCT. Amazing at the time before other rides duplicated the negative g loads, but since that's been equaled or surpassed, they simply don't match up any more. I find them all middling. The best is Millennium Force to me, and that's also the ride that presents by far and away the least amount of negative G-forces. There isn't a B&M that doesn't blow it away in airtime, but the speed and positive Gs there are really solid IMO.

-Edmonton Mindbender. I'm convinced the people who ride this and proclaim it top 5 do so because they know the expense involved to get to Edmonton to ride this dumb thing and attempt to justify it. Awful restraints, ho-hum layout, absolute trash operations, but the real problem is that the OMG FORCEZ~! are a total lie. Arrow loopers present similar or equivalent positive G loads. The most overhyped and overrated coaster in the entirety of the hobby. I'd go so far as to say that Magnum Force when at Flamingoland was better since it didn't beat the hell out of your shoulders with the accordions. Also for the people who've been in this hobby awhile; remember when certain enthusiasts used to claim that Taz's Texas Tornado had something done to the restraints because they kept coming down and the others' didn't do that? Just think of that complete lie next time they tell you some far off ride is super superior to whatever you're riding.

I'm far from hating Titan at SFOT but the helices are painful and I literally almost blacked out. It wasn't even hot that day either, just humid, and I wasn't exactly dehydrated either. I feel like it uses up its speed and height just to push you through a pair of death helices. Many here said the same for Goliath at SFMM, but to hear people rave about Titan is ridiculous when there's NTaG right next door which is rerideable and has a mindblowing amount of airtime. I think I counted one moment of airtime in Titan and it was weak floater air that lasted about a split second. The sideways hangtime after the MCBR is cool though.

Also, Boomerangs. I know the enthusiast community hates them, but the GP obsesses over them and it's really annoying.

1. Boomerangs! Can't figure out how the GP still likes these things.

2. SLC's. Ditto. Although better in some ways and worse in others.

3. B&M flyers. Never liked them and the GP still cheers when the seats are lifted.

4. B&M standups. Uncomfortable position/restraints.

5. B&M inverts. Too forceful. OTC restraints. Can't see anything if not in 1st row. *Haven't ridden Banshee

6. Magnum XL-200

Like a few others have said, hate is too strong of a word; I love coasters after all, but I’ll contribute that I think flying coasters are to the sensation of flight what Jack Skellington’s “Making Christmas” campaign was to Christmas: A good intention that couldn’t achieve its concept.

I haven’t tried the Stingray, but the older Vekoma Dutchmen are clunky, and train stacking makes me feel like I’m stuck in a dentist’s chair that’s reclined too far back and the dentist has walked away, leaving me uncomfortable and with no clue as to what's happening. The B&M versions are ho-hum, save for the strong signature pretzel element, but even that’s more of a stunt than a deliverance of the coveted sensation of delightful soaring and flight. And the Volare? Ooph.

Every flyer I've ridden has been in the "once was enough" category, although I've been generous in revisiting them to see if I'll one day grasp something amazing that I currently don't detect. In my opinion, the first few pendulous swings on a sky coaster and some of the B&M inverts do flying better than the flying coaster. Yet, I have a few coaster-seasoned friends who believe flyers are up there with anesthesia, refrigeration, and indoor plumbing in terms of innovation, and the flyers tend to draw lines and get good GP reception in the station.

Maverick. It's all too abrupt changes to me aren't innovative, they are bad engineering. My body was not intended to be slammed in a completely different direction than it had been in the span of a millisecond. I'm simply not a fan of experiencing great pain while on a ride.

Between riding Maverick or Sky Rocket at KW, I'd choose the latter 100 times out of 100.

Maverick. It's all too abrupt changes to me aren't innovative, they are bad engineering. My body was not intended to be slammed in a completely different direction than it had been in the span of a millisecond. I'm simply not a fan of experiencing great pain while on a ride.

Between riding Maverick or Sky Rocket at KW, I'd choose the latter 100 times out of 100.

Did you ride it with the old or new restraints? That could have made the difference based off what I've heard.

Did you ride it with the old or new restraints? That could have made the difference based off what I've heard.

I rode it with the current track design. Changing restraints won't change that.

The new restraints are way softer, though, so the transitions wouldn't be as painful :/

The new restraints are way softer, though, so the transitions wouldn't be as painful :/

Any ride that shuffles me so dramatically from one side to the other so my neck jerks in such a fashion is going to rate low in my book.

This is what I like about the coaster world is the diversity in what people like and don't. In my short time on this site aswell...I have no problem with it either...it is interesting to read..especially when you wonder what you might be missing on some ride that others have raved about.

Anyway...hate is too strong a word for me on coasters..but the two I was pretty MEH about that others seemed to like are Kumba at Busch Gardens, and Goliath at SFMM. Both my wife and I got off Kumba expecting to have felt something different...for once we were both in agreement that it was underwhelming (to us).

I like Millenium Force...but prefer Leviathan...which again seems to put me below the Golden ticket awards list. Not a dislike thing but I sometimes feel that I am out of step with the roller coaster going public!

Maverick's quick transitions aren't a result of "bad engineering", it was designed to do so and runs exactly as intended. Blitz coasters are all about very quick transitions and direction changes, and that's exactly what Maverick brings. It can be very intense though, and it's really not for everyone.

I have a couple. The first is HRRR at USO. The restraints fit me weird, it's rough for its age and has way too many blocks/brake runs. The queue line is long and annoying as shit. I seriously hate this ride.

The second coaster is Manta at SWO. The pretzel loop is awesome but the rest of the ride is kinda meh. I don't hate it by any means, I just don't get the hype.

Any ride that shuffles me so dramatically from one side to the other so my neck jerks in such a fashion is going to rate low in my book.

Yeah, if that's what you don't like about it, I can understand why you wouldn't like it. Sharp turns aren't for everyone (Poltergeist at SFFT)

Alpengeist and Verbolten at BGW

Afterburn at Carowinds

Veklonas

Both Hurlers

GhostRider at KBF

Space Mountain at WDWMK

What do these rides have in common? I find them to be very or at least noticeably rough for some reason while many others do not. This likely has to do with my 5'11", 130 lbs. frame which enables me to feel every bump and jolt on coasters (which is why I love buttersmooth coasters like B&M hyper/gigas and almost every Intamin).

(And no, I don't hate B&M inverts - I LOVED Silver Bullet at KBF, definitely worth the two-hour wait time and incredibly smooth although the helix was briefly nauseating.)

I would also add Kumba to my list of popular coasters I don't care for. I didn't hate it; it was simply that I just couldn't understand what was so great about it. Honestly, if I had the choice of riding Kumba or Bizarro at SF Great Adventure, I'd ride Bizarro every time. But I was able to appreciate the way Kumba fits so perfectly into the landscape - it is indeed a very photogenic coaster. On the other hand (while speaking of BGT), I did find Montu to be very deserving of its reputation and accolades.