TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

What coaster do you hate that everone else loves?

Talon: I hear this often cited as the last forceful inverted coaster, but I found it to be on par with Silver Bullet. The beginning is good, but after the immelmann the ride seems to just meander around until it runs out of energy. It's still a decent ride, but between the two B&M coasters at Dorney Park I prefer Hydra.

Interesting. I was pleasantly surprised by it as I had read mixed reviews here. And I actually think that the most forceful parts are after the immelmann: the turn right after felt pretty forceful and the last turn after the corkscrew was very forceful (you almost go 90 DEGREES). That combined with a few pops of floater air (which I rarely get on inverts) meant I liked it a lot. Of course, this is me and after all it's all a personal opinion.

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Talon: I hear this often cited as the last forceful inverted coaster, but I found it to be on par with Silver Bullet. The beginning is good, but after the immelmann the ride seems to just meander around until it runs out of energy. It's still a decent ride, but between the two B&M coasters at Dorney Park I prefer Hydra.

Interesting. I was pleasantly surprised by it as I had read mixed reviews here. And I actually think that the most forceful parts are after the immelmann: the turn right after felt pretty forceful and the last turn after the corkscrew was very forceful (you almost go 90 DEGREES). That combined with a few pops of floater air (which I rarely get on inverts) meant I liked it a lot. Of course, this is me and after all it's all a personal opinion.

Have to agree with rcjp. The time I rode it, it also seemed it was really forceful after the immelmann. Especially the two roundabouts after the corkscrew that comes close to the ground. I thought it was great B&M invert...but not the best.

^ I agree 115% with Maverick. I still strongly believe that it is THE most overrated coaster.

Another one would easily be Voyage. It has a great layout, but it was very rough when I rode it in 2010. I've also heard a lot of people praise Lost Coaster of Superstition Mountain, but all it did was give me a headache from hitting the top of the car numerous times.

I don't hate it at all but I didn't seem to enjoy lightning racer as much as most people here do. I rode it once in each side and I thought it was okay. Not rough (well, nowhere near wildcat) but not smooth either and it didn't do much for me. I hardly remember lifting out of my seat and while the pacing was good, I don't know, I didn't find it anything special. I prefer blue streak. Maybe I caught in an off day, I don't know. I'm still looking forward to trying GCIs like wodan, gold striker and wood coaster in China but I often hear people saying lighting racer is one of their best creations.

For me it is Euro Sat at Europapark. I don't hate this coaster, I just don't like it because it is rough and you can't see anything. But most of people says that it is awesome because it is in the dark with cool light effects, but you can't see the light effects very well and like I said: it is rough!!!

...but it's like phoenix in the sense that it's not crazy intense or interesting.

Have you actually ridden in the back seat? It's like a rite of passage.

Shockwave SFOT

I know nobody loves this ride, but it always gets in like the top 30 in the golden ticket awards, which is enough of a reason to say people like it.

I don't really like. But I want to like it. It's a Schwarzkopf coaster! It's supposed to be at least somewhat smooth. But it isn't. It jerks around corners and the airtime hills. It looks like it was designed in RCT. I appreciate that it has only lapbars, but still! How did Schwarzkopf build Revolution before this and make that smoother(before OTSRs) and create Colossus the Fire dragon a few years later? I don't get it.

It's rough. The design is bland. And it is a disgrace to Anton Schwarzkopf.

I haven't rode Mindbender, but I assume it is the same case due to the similar track style and such.

^If you base how highly the community thinks of a coaster based on how high the GTA ranks it, then I would be putting A LOT of coasters in this thread.

On a more serious note, the coaster type I find to be overrated is dive machines. The whole holding brake thing just never really did it for me, and all dive machines have very basic layouts after the one gimmick is over. Although it is suspenseful to be held that high in the air, the drop fails to startle due to the back of the train still being almost on flat track, causing a slow initial acceleration into the drop. Also, the holding brake seems to kill the initial airtime you would get while entering the drop, leading to the tamest possible vertical drop you can have.

Dive machines actually scare me a lot more when I ride them in the back row. When the coaster drops, the back row gives you a much better whip down the drop. I just find getting ejected from my seat at 200 feet in the air to be far more exhilarating than waiting to gracefully float down.

On a more serious note, the coaster type I find to be overrated is dive machines. The whole holding brake thing just never really did it for me, and all dive machines have very basic layouts after the one gimmick is over. Although it is suspenseful to be held that high in the air, the drop fails to startle due to the back of the train still being almost on flat track, causing a slow initial acceleration into the drop. Also, the holding brake seems to kill the initial airtime you would get while entering the drop, leading to the tamest possible vertical drop you can have.

Dive machines actually scare me a lot more when I ride them in the back row. When the coaster drops, the back row gives you a much better whip down the drop. I just find getting ejected from my seat at 200 feet in the air to be far more exhilarating than waiting to gracefully float down.

Same! I've ridden the two Dive Machines in China and they are both so boring! GP made a huge deal about the drop being vertical and they even refuse to believe a coaster can do more than 90 degrees drop without trim brake. Seriously more parks need to buy something like Maverick!

SFMM Apocalypse is one of the coasters that I do t hate but I definitely am not a big fan of. The lateral force come too sudden right after the first drop, the layout doesn't really give a lot of airtime and it's too short.

Olympia Looping for me. I like the first half, but the second half is fairly dull and the restraints are horrible and crush my shoulders.

Also, if I can include rides other than coasters, I'd nominate BPB's Valhalla which I find massively overrated.