TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

What coaster do you hate that everone else loves?

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dare I say it?

Balder, Twister in Grona Lund

Come on bill. Not a fan of quick transitions or speed on a wooden coaster? (I still think el toro>balder but still)

For my own over rated choice, easily magnum.

Now wait a nano second - the examples I gave were of coasters I really REALLY like.

Like Twister at Grona Lund. That's one I love. And Troy too. Over that B coaster.

I hated Skyrush the first time I went on it. One of the only rides I've ridden where I was waiting for it to end.

My first post here...read this entire thread, and I was going to say Skyrush the whole time. Did not see anybody else say this ride, until this last page. I agree. I totally get why many call Skyrush "thigh-crush". I was in pain the whole time, and for quite a bit of time after getting off. I have never had this experience on any other coaster. Granted, my count is only 88, but this one is dead last. Love the extreme nature of the ride...hate the pain you have to endure. Right up there with a kick to the nads.

I get what you mean. While the pain I endured wasn't enough to make it fall to the bottom of my list (only to make it go from 1st to 3rd) I get the feeling that I'm one of the few people here who experiences this level of pain as I've heard many saying: "Yeah, it's a bit uncomfortable but it isn't enough to take away from the experience" and I honestly (really honestly) don't believe that anyone who experiences the same level of pain as I do could ever say it doesn't affect the ride. The reason I still rank it quite high is because the layout itself is awesome, super intense, super fast and with incredible air, so I didn't put it in this list.

I find Flight of Fear (KD) to have head banging. I just don't think it is that great. I cannot compare it to the one at KI, as I haven't been there, but the KD one was average at best.

How can a ride with no over the shoulder restraints have head banging? There's nothing to bang your head into.

Personally I think Flight of Fear at Kings Dominion is an amazingly smooth and awesome ride. The one at Kings Island throws you around a lot more but I enjoy that ride also.

Dare I say it?

Balder, Twister in Grona Lund

Come on bill. Not a fan of quick transitions or speed on a wooden coaster? (I still think el toro>balder but still)

For my own over rated choice, easily magnum.

Now wait a nano second - the examples I gave were of coasters I really REALLY like.

Like Twister at Grona Lund. That's one I love. And Troy too. Over that B coaster.

Oh ok, sorry misread your post. Haven't had a chance to try troy yet. Twister at gröna lund is fantastic, would love to see more of these small footprint, high fun and intensity coasters.

I agree with whoever said Maverick. Not only does the ride beat you up, it just didn't seem very forceful.

I think that's the first time I've heard that. I'm all for improved restraints, but not very forceful? Crazy talk.

My personal pick would probably be Hulk. After the tire-launch gimmick (semi-cool) this thing just kind of plods along in somewhat boring fashion and doesn't even track that well. I know it's not a top ten coaster or anything but many seem to enjoy it quite a bit.

I find Flight of Fear (KD) to have head banging. I just don't think it is that great. I cannot compare it to the one at KI, as I haven't been there, but the KD one was average at best.

How can a ride with no over the shoulder restraints have head banging? There's nothing to bang your head into.

Personally I think Flight of Fear at Kings Dominion is an amazingly smooth and awesome ride. The one at Kings Island throws you around a lot more but I enjoy that ride also.

Head banging... I misspoke. I banged my head on the seat quite a few times, even though I kept my head back. I also found it jolty... That was the word I was looking for. All in all, I think I just rode it on a bad day.

I hated Skyrush the first time I went on it. One of the only rides I've ridden where I was waiting for it to end.

Care to elaborate?

I rode it before the restraints were improved. After the first drop they hurt so much I was just waiting for it to end. Pulled it all the way to the bottom of my list.

I have to say im not huge on Inverts. Like i enjoy them but i dont like them as much as other people do. My favorite would be Alpengeist and even that doesnt rank super high on my list. Maybe its because i prefer air over force. I cant really say i hate a coaster that people already dont hate. I guess i go wih the flow too much

Canyon Blaster at Adventuredome.

I went with a bunch of other people, and they ALL loved it, but I got such a bad headache and almost threw up afterwards! I MIGHT try it again, since the last time I rode it was in 2008, and for all I know it may have become the best coaster in the world by this point!

Magnum XL-200. Not impressed.

Omg yes! I rode it a few years ago and it left BRUISES on my legs! I mean, the first part is okay... but the airtime hills in the tunnels MURDERED my femur area! They really need to get new lapbars!

The weird thing is, I really like most of the rides people are mentioning, although I sort of agree about Maverick... It was a fun ride, but I remember that it was a bit rough and headbangy. I didn't hate it or anything, though.

I tend to agree on Maverick and XL. Along a similar but opposite contrarian vein, I was absolutely smitten by Mean Streak. Love at first sight. Opinions ... those funny things.

I think the MindBender at six flags over Georgia is over rated. It's not that smooth and it doesn't have the insane G forces that people say it does. For me it's one of those rides that you get he credit for and then go to the next ride.

Edited by markysharky17

Obviously its very much disliked generally in the enthusiast community but I'll never understand why the GP eats up Green Lantern @ SFGAdv. It always has one of the longest lines in the park and it is nothing but pain. I can only assume the stand-up factor and the fact that it is one of the first rides people see upon entering the lot. To me it has a nearly identical layout as Bizarro (yeah not quite but almost), but BIZ has effects like fire and mist and lighting and doesn't try to knock me out at all. And BIZ is almost always a walk on. I guess I shouldn't complain, but that's my addition to this thread.

Firehawk at Kings Island - Have ridden it 4 times over the last 6 years, have tried to give it a chance but I just don't like it, fairly uncomfortable and awkward.

The Racer at Kings Island - Bit rough, really needs to be re-tracked and doesn't help that they push the buzz bars down too far, only thing that makes me not mind riding it so much is discovering that I can use my camera pouch as a buffer between my thighs and the buzz bar.

While by far not the worst coaster I've been to, I was initially underwhelmed by Outlaw Run (please don't hurt me!) I rode it when it had the older shin bars which were uncomfortable for me.

Though after riding it a few more times I have grown to like it.

I don't hate it, but I wasn't very impressed with Afterburn at Carowinds at all. I rode it multiple times over 4 different visits in 2011 and 2012, in every seat and while it wasn't a bad ride, I definitely think all 4 of the Batman inverts I've been on are more fun, forceful and compact.

Millennium Force. I find the ride incredibly overrated but a lot of people rank it as their #1 coaster. People do have the same opinion as me but I feel that more people love it than find it overrated.

Actually, from what I've seen both here and at CF, the more....enthusiastic crowd seems to agree with you and I am in the minority for loving it. Still #1 in fact and by this point, I'm not sure what could knock it off #1 unless I get a better ride on a past coaster.

Hmmmm, there are few coasters I hated, and most would agree. I tend to just not really care for a coaster, and can't think of any that puts me at odds. I did find Tatsu a bit overrated. It was fun, but honestly outside the epic pretzel I just didn't find it that great. I don't know how beloved that one is though, it's the best flyer but many hate those

I really don't care about missing KK and TTD and those are pretty loved, again not as much by the enthusiasts though.

Obviously its very much disliked generally in the enthusiast community but I'll never understand why the GP eats up Green Lantern @ SFGAdv. It always has one of the longest lines in the park and it is nothing but pain. I can only assume the stand-up factor and the fact that it is one of the first rides people see upon entering the lot. To me it has a nearly identical layout as Bizarro (yeah not quite but almost), but BIZ has effects like fire and mist and lighting and doesn't try to knock me out at all. And BIZ is almost always a walk on. I guess I shouldn't complain, but that's my addition to this thread.

Maybe because it's "newer" to the GP than Bizarro, 99% of the GP that rides GL has no idea the ride is actually 17 years old

• 1 month later...

To me, I hate any coaster I cannot ride do to restraints issues. Besides some kiddie coasters at some parks, the one that isn't a kiddie coaster has to be Lighting Run at Kentucky Kingdom. Their restraints do not agree with me. Another one has to be SkyRush at Hesheypark. Last time I rode it, I felt the coaster should be called "Thigh Bust" due to the restraints they used on that ride.