TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

What coaster do you hate that everone else loves?

Hate is too strong of a word to use in a discussion about giant inanimate steel (or wood) structures/machines, but I was very underwhelmed by both of SeaWorld Orlando's B&M offerings- and the two of them seem to get a lot of love from coaster people. Ditto Wildfire at Silver Dollar City. There are others, like Led Zeppelin at Hard Rock Park and the various Superman Ultimate Flight installations that have sprung up like mushrooms from manure, but those don't nearly get as much love as Kraken/Wildfire. They are picturesque, though- so that's a positive.

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jack Rabbit @ Kennywood.

It had some good air on that double-down, nothing to rave about. Besides that, this coaster did NOTHING for me.

The most over-rated crap ride ever.

Thunderbolt is miles ahead of Jack Rabbit, just my 2c.

I wouldn't say I hate any of these, as the very few coasters I truly hate are the ones with terrible designs that nobody likes. Rather, I would say I don't get how these rides end up on top 25 lists with some frequency as none of them are rides I would consider travel-worthy (although they are mostly still decent rides).

Wooden Warrior: I know a ton of people love this ride, but to me it was little more than a family coaster. I enjoyed the ride, but it was super short and just wasn't that impressive in my opinion.

Raven: This was actually my least favorite of Holiday World's three wooden coasters. It could be because I rode it last of the three, but I just found it tame compared to Voyage and Legend.

American Thunder: This ride is actually one of my least favorite GCI coasters. It's not bad or anything, it just wasn't as good as I thought it would be.

Comet (Great Escape): Another coaster that simply didn't live up to the hype for me. Granted, I only rode it in the morning before it had a chance to properly warm up, but in my opinion if a ride only delivers a top quality ride under certain conditions it doesn't deserve a top rating.

Intimidator 305: Yes, I did only ride it in its opening year with the brake on the drop, but I still don't see how a coaster with mostly turns is one of the best in the world. Perhaps a lot of people like the high positive g forces and quick directional changes, but it's just not my thing. I'd personally take any Intamin or B&M mega coaster over Intimidator 305, but I know few others have this opinion.

Tatsu. It has a great layout, but I always have very uncomfortable rides on it. Yet, when I ride other B&M Flyers like Superman at GAdv, it's rather comfortable (except for waiting in the brake run for Superman's horrid operations). So, yeah, I don't really understand why some people love it. Though, that pretzel loop is amazing, the only part of the ride I like.

1. Every coaster at Holiday World - It didn't help that is was in the 90s with a heat index well over 100, but I hated the three major coasters at Holiday World. They were all very rough while the layouts did nothing for me. All three probably rank among my top 6 roughest coasters.

The next two aren't hated by me, but they were severely disappointing.

2. Thunderhead - It was fun, but the ride experience was average. Despite the fast pace of the ride, it still seemed rather tame.

3. Comet at Great Escape - Another ride that did nothing for me. This might have been another case of being affected by the heat as it seemed like had it only been going a little faster, it would have been crazy. As it was, there was no airtime despite looking like it would be filled with it.

I didn't HATE it, but I wasn't crazy about Bizarro at SFNE. It could have been that I rode it opening weekend in April when it was in the 40's and cloudy, but the ride did nothing for me. Kind of rattling and not that exciting. Just my 2 cents!

Cloudy wouldn't have done anything, but being in the 40's makes a huge difference. IMO the minimum proper coaster riding temperature for a good ride is 65 - 70. The biggest factors that I can see from that are the increasing air density as the temperature lowers (which will therefore increase drag) as well as possibly the lubricants becoming more viscous (increasing wheel friction.) I don't know which factor is bigger though and I might be missing out on other factors.

For a little background information, I rate my coasters no longer by place ranking or 0-10 scale, but by a tier scale, because I've gone on so many it's impossible to keep track of them individually. I have divided my preferences into the following: Tier 4 rides are utter crap (only a couple in this category,) Tier 3 rides are meh; they are alright, and they might be "enjoyable" or "fun" but their biggest draw is often getting the credit. Tier 2 rides are very solidly awesome, kick butt rides, and Tier 1 are my personal favorites (and I do have individual all time favorites.) Each tier is also further split into lower, middle, and upper regions.

I have been on RoS in both 40 - 45 degree weather as well as 70 - 80 degree weather. On the hot days, it generally places in the middle Tier 1 category, but when it got cold, it was a middle Tier 3. When it's hot, it's comparable to Phantom's Revenge. But when it's cold, it's more like Intimidator at Carowinds.

I highly suggest to go to SFNE one more time when it's at least 70 degrees. It's in the upper Tier 1 category for me.

I don't really have any coasters I hate (that can be included in this particular category - meaning those that have a big and vocal fan base), but I would have to say there is at least one coaster that I simply cannot understand why it is in the "everybody loves it" category (or at least it has its legions of fans; as obviously not everyone loves even the most popular coasters). For me that coaster would be Maverick. I have had only two rides on it, one where I utilized the single rider line and got placed (in retrospect I know I got really lucky that day due to where an empty seat appeared when I reached the gate) towards the back, about 3 rows before the very back seat. I was aware of the ride's reputation as a head-banger (so clearly I'm not the only one who has this issue, but apparently many people find the ride redeeming enough to want to endure the pain), so I was on guard from the get-go, as I would be when riding a Vekoma or an Arrow with OTSRs.

I was able to avoid pretty much all the head-banging (only got it in one place, and then it wasn't too bad, no worse than many Arrows). However, this coaster didn't do much for me anyway. It was OK, but nothing I'd wait in a long line for again.

A couple of years later I found myself at a Coastermania event, and I decided to temporarily part ways with my friend during morning ERT and leave her at MF (she has the same opinion of Maverick that I now do) and head on back to Maverick, as I wanted to get a front seat ride, especially since I only got one ride in before. Well, this ended up being one huge mistake, as I got my front seat ride, and it was one of the very few where I wish I could have stopped and gotten off well before the brake run. I geared up to defend myself against any headbanging, but once I got past the launch and first drop, I was doomed to what felt like an eternity of having my ears pounded relentlessly, and then having my fingers smashed between my head and the harness in what was a fruitless attempt to protect my ears. The only way I could have avoided the battering would have been to hang my head forward (did that on a Eurofighter, and it worked, but then again, Eurofighters don't have heavy-duty laterals, not only that, it was a rather uncomfortable way to ride a coaster), but with Maverick's sharp transitions, I could have sustained a neck injury. It really pissed me off because I was helpless to escape the pummeling (this coming from a veteran of many looping Arrows and Vekomas, which I normally can ride and avoid 90% of the banging with some effort), and I wasn't in too good a mood as I got off with bright red burning ears and ran back over to finish off the ERT on MF. Because of the OTSR problem, I couldn't even think to form an opinion as to what I thought of the ride (OK, Maverick is a visually appealing ride, set over the water and by Lake Erie, I did notice that).

I can't for the life of me understand how anyone in my height range (meaning anyone who's ears are right level with the top of the OTSR) can ride anywhere close to the front (OK, if you are a dedicated backseat rider on Maverick you probably won't have this problem, or you can avoid it as I was able to) and not find Maverick to be a most miserable coaster.

It is also sad because I have become quite the Intamin fan over the past few years, and yet I can find little to appreciate about Maverick. And this coming from someone who has no trouble with Storm Runner and Fahrenheit's restraints (OK, on SR I will sometimes get bruises on my upper arms if I put my hands up, but that problem is easily solved), and someone who likes the blisteringly fast hard-core transitions on I-305 (I'm sure I would have hated the whole thing had I ridden when it had the original OTSRs!), and someone who loves Skyrush to pieces, with its vice-grip lap bars and moves that remind me of a rat being savagely whipped around in a terrier's jaws.

I don't know, this isn't hate, it's essentially puzzle-ment over why people like Maverick so much, while I found it mediocre without much headbanging, and hideous with it.

Other coasters I don't quite get the love for - Magnum - I see the historical value of this ride, but it really isn't much fun IMO, compared to a lot of other hypers out there. And speaking of Magnum, I would consider the color of the track to be red, no idea why it might be considered to be a shade of orange (unless of course the paint is fading, which would also make Ninja at SFMM also orange, or at least it looked orange from faded paint the last time I was out there).

Then there is one final thing - and this isn't about any particular coaster but rather a trend that I don't get the hype for. I just don't get the new-found love for looping woodies - IMO loops/inversions on woodies are gimmicks and the whole notion of putting loops on wood coasters should have died and been buried with Son of Beast.

While I don't remotely "hate" either of them, I rank both Bizarro @ SFNE and Prowler below plenty of similar coasters that always finish well behind them in polls. Bizarro felt slow and like something was holding it back a bit when I rode in 2012. And this summer Prowler ran fast for me but I didn't get even a trace of airtime. I like Nitro, Millennium Force, American Thunder, and Lightning Racer much better for instance.

I wouldn't say I hate it, but Nitro is VASTLY overrated.

And I can say with 100% accuracy that I hate Hollywood Rip, Ride, Rockit, and a lot of people seem to like that ride for some extremely odd reason.

Definitely agree about Nitro. Don't hate it, but it had quite a rattle when I rode it a few weeks ago, and the floater airtime isn't as good as, say, Apollo's Chariot.

I wouldn't say I hate it, but Nitro is VASTLY overrated.

And I can say with 100% accuracy that I hate Hollywood Rip, Ride, Rockit, and a lot of people seem to like that ride for some extremely odd reason.

Definitely agree about Nitro. Don't hate it, but it had quite a rattle when I rode it a few weeks ago, and the floater airtime isn't as good as, say, Apollo's Chariot.

I did notice the rattle in the back rows, which is something new, but after riding both coasters multiple times this summer I can safely say that the airtime and pacing on nitro are noticeably more intense than Apollo chariot. The second camelback has the strongest airtime I have ever experienced on a B&M.

Riddler's Revenge at SFMM. The restraints are uncomfortable and aren't very forgiving if you are a bigger guy like me. I came off of that ride in a ton of pain.

Also I'd have to say Green Lantern: First Flight also at SFMM was pretty boring to me. That last little flip ejected me out of my seat and I landed on that little part of the seat between your legs on a not so comfortable spot...

Both of those happened in the same day. It wasn't fun.

Okay, so we have not been on Kingda Ka, but we've spent many rides on Top Thrill Dragster. While we love the thrill and do not hate it (we certainly wish they'd attach a full-circuit to the end of the hill), we get frustrated how some of these Travel Channel-like shows always boast about how there's nothing like Kingda Ka and how nothing even comes close... they don't even make mention of TTD. Like we said, we don't hate any ride... we do dislike how some people are either lacking open minds about different rides or simply fail to bring up related coasters in the general conversation!

I305.

While this coaster is "decent" I find the layout lacking a good variety. The whole coaster is about quick transitions, and while one or two of them are great, I don't like having my neck readjusted 5 or 6 times on a coaster. I am also against the restraints because of the unfortunate stapling I experience from being thin. And yes I know there are hills on it too, but that's even still a downside for me because the negative g's only mean more pain for my thighs. It's just an overall uncomfortable experience to me. I'm sure other people have better experiences on this coaster.

Dude coaster addict, you're talking about the travel channel here man. You really can't go by anything they say, especially if you have seen the "Coaster Enthusiast" on there

We understand the source and their audience, but the frustration still is there. It does not eat at us, but it still exists! Overall, we have love for all kinds of coasters.Of course, we have our favorites too!