TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Knott's Berry Farm (KBF) Discussion Thread

P. 651: Montezooma's Revenge project terminated?

Thanks! I did Scary Farm this year and got extremely lucky. I had done all 11(?) haunts in less than 2 hours, including multiple front seat rides on Ghostrider without getting up!

I'm really interested in the idea of Merry Farm -- I was just hoping someone could give me some serious info on it.

So thanks! Any more help is appreciated.

In other news....

An update on the Knotts website now lists Xcelerator closed until at least January 31, 2010. I only hope something can be done quicker and they can finally get it back up and running again. That area of the park seems so ghostly quiet now. Anyway, the sooner the better, for the park and it's guests.

I think I'm heading there on the 19th and take advantage of the county employee free admission. But as a new rookie uncle I will take my little niece to go see Snoopy on ice so I won't feel to guilty. It should be fun though and I don't think she would be too bummed out that Xcelerator is still out of commission seeing that she's only 15 months old.

You would think they'd have done this kind of reasearch before they went to the city and said they were going to add it. Weird.

Perhaps they did...and used the negative PR to get corporate management to change their mind....

Great news everyone!

We are happy to confirm that West Coast Bash 2010 will be DOUBLE THE FUN with TWO PARKS instead of one!

Mark your calendars now! Save the date!

March 20th & 21st, 2010!

Six Flags Magic Mountain - Saturday, March 20th

Knott's Berry Farm - Sunday, March 21st

Event details are still being working out, but there *WILL* be ERT, Q&A Sessions, Backstage Tours, etc...

But this year we are proud to feature TWO of Southern California's finest parks!

Details and pricing will be announced soon!

--Robb Alvey

www.themeparkreview.com

ps. And expect an announcement about Bay Area Bash 2010 soon too!

Perfect! I was planning on heading out there for spring break and was going to head down to SD first, but it looks like I will have to pit stop at Knotts, a personal favorite, and then head south!

This should be a blast. I might have a couple friends though, so I am not sure how exactly that works but I am sure we can figure it out.

Heres to hoping Xcellerator will be open!

I think it is great that KBF is gonna get some TPR love this year! I really hate all the negativity being shown to the park. Sure, its not what it used to be, but I think the kids today want thrills more than audio anamatronics. Hopefully this becomes a yearly event, provided some random hostile person does not ruin the Q&A with an extremely offensive question. Just sayin, saw it happen at SFMM.

Chris.

^ Okay.

I dont want to get super dramatic or anything about what I deem inappropriate, but I'll explain where I was coming from.

When I get invited by TPR to go to an event like WCB or Termination Day, or any event for that matter, I am extremely grateful and feel privileged. Robb and Elissa arrange a fantastic event that, for a day, we really get a VIP treatment of the park, usually for a fraction of even the price of a one day admission. Therefore, as a guest, I act like a guest.

At the Q&A, I'll be honest, its been two years and I don't remember specifics, I just recall some attitude being expressed to management. You know, the management that went out of their way to entertain us for a few hours and let us in on whats going on. A question that was stated was something like 'I thought the bathroom conditions are ATROCIOUS. How do you expect me to enjoy a day with my kids with that nonsense going on?' In my opinion, the question could have been expressed as 'I feel the restrooms need some major attention as far as renovations and cleanliness go. Is there a plan in the future to address this issue?' There were others that just made me feel 'oh no, they didn't just go there!'

I guess I just felt like some people took it as a public opportunity to sound like an irate guest at Guest Services. It was not the place or time to be acting like somebody trying to get something for free. I'll state again that this is just in my opinion, perhaps others feel that anger is the only way to get through to management.

In another situation, when our provided ERT started about twenty minutes late, I observed a couple of people that went out of their way to be super irritating. They were 'rallying the troops' so to speak, kind of trying to fester everybody around them with anger. They were complaining to ride ops, basically anybody with a nametag was getting super harassed by these guys.

Do I think they stopped back and thought, 'whatever is wrong, I am sure it is being addressed.'? No, I don't think they did. As it turns out, the time that we spent waiting for the ride to be available was added on at the end of ERT. Fruthermore it was a FANTASTIC time. Everybody wins.

Okay to conclude my rant, I just feel that it is important for everybody that attends these events to know that we are guests, and it is ultimately the parks choice to continue these events. We don't 'deserve' them by any means. Robb and Elissa really go out of their way to ensure we get a one of a kind experience, which needs to be remembered even while the event is going on.

If everything is going great, good! Thank somebody! If there is a hiccup in the plans, well you should also consider the fact that something went wrong, and rest assured something is being done to fix the situation. We don't need to add on to the problem by getting in the way. We don't need to discourage them from having q&a's if they just think they are going to be bombarded by angry, poorly asked questions. I guess I am just asking for a little bit of professionalism, and to think before you act.

Sorry if I offended anybody, and I welcome any other opinions. Thanks.

Chris.

^ All good stuff.

I too thought that bathroom question could have been worred less hostile. And you're right, those Q&A sessions aren't meant to be a live Guest Services bitch fest, they are meant to be Q&A.

Doesn't mean your question always has to be positive but you don't need to be abbrasive either.

That Termination Day hostility during the late ERT was also very frustrating. For one, I was "on it." Trust me, if our ERT starts late I'm gonna be doing everything I can to make sure it GOES LATE! (which it did.)

They ended up having an unscheduled media appearance that night and it delayed our ERT by *OMG* a whole 20 minutes!

Instead of being patient, some people took it upon theselves to be hostile.

That's just not cool.

At most events I rarely even ride the coasters. I'm far too busy "behind the scenes" making sure things are going smoothly.

--Robb "We just ask everyone to be patient and trust that we have things under control." Alvey

^^ I appreciate your reply, and completely agree with you. Hostility is the last thing to show your host, and it ultimately sounds like that's what these people were doing. Q&A sessions seem like a great perk, and it would be a shame to lose them if people can't understand that there's a difference between what they say in a chat room and during Q&A with management.

I think nearly everyone appreciates the effort that goes into these events, and I'm sure for every person who's negative, there's another two who are just happy to be there.

Yea, but the problem I've noticed in dealing with negativity is that it only takes one person to ruin something. Are all cops dirty? Do all postal workers snap and go on a trigger happy gun spree? Do all black people eat watermelon (personally can't stand it) My point is, even if there is ONE person that decides to be a d*ck at these things, just ONE person, it can literally f*ck it up for everyone, because one person can sour and deteriorate all the hard work that goes into getting you close enough to management so you can even ask them questions.

^I realize that it is usually just one person. Sometimes two. However in both of my situations, they clearly left an impression with me. I think it is so awesome that we get to go to these events, but I guess the selfish side of me wants to restrict it a little bit. Have a 'TPR member for over a year presale' or something. At least that MIGHT prove that people are actually reading the threads and have some idea as to how to act at these events. You know, like a respectable human being.

At the very least, I really feel that people need to watch their manners. Having a list of 'rules' is way too ACE like, and that separation is what makes us awesome, but manners would be nice.

Anyway, I'm done being a debbie downer, lets talk about Knotts!

Have a 'TPR member for over a year presale' or something. At least that MIGHT prove that people are actually reading the threads and have some idea as to how to act at these events. You know, like a respectable human being.

The bathroom question was asked by someone who has been a member for awhile, I believe. So your idea wouldn't hold up. Truth is, there's going to be people who don't quite know how to act in public situations regardless of any type of restrictions you want to come up with. You can't control this.

^ All good stuff.

I too thought that bathroom question could have been worred less hostile. And you're right, those Q&A sessions aren't meant to be a live Guest Services bitch fest, they are meant to be Q&A.

Doesn't mean your question always has to be positive but you don't need to be abbrasive either.

That Termination Day hostility during the late ERT was also very frustrating. For one, I was "on it." Trust me, if our ERT starts late I'm gonna be doing everything I can to make sure it GOES LATE! (which it did.)

They ended up having an unscheduled media appearance that night and it delayed our ERT by *OMG* a whole 20 minutes!

Instead of being patient, some people took it upon theselves to be hostile.

That's just not cool.

At most events I rarely even ride the coasters. I'm far too busy "behind the scenes" making sure things are going smoothly.

--Robb "We just ask everyone to be patient and trust that we have things under control." Alvey

I just wanted to add that I was extremely impressed with last year's WCB, and especially the very generous and 1 on 1 guest service experience that park management Jay gave me and my friend.

A long story short, my friend just bought a $600 phone and it slipped out of his pocket on Tatsu. Although it was retarded to have his $600 phone on Tatsu, it still sucked. We went to guest services and filled out the lost and found thing, and happened to catch Jay and told him our sob story. He personally looked into the matter, and although the phone was missing forever, I just thought it was incredibly nice how he actually called my friend's number and told them the bad news personally. How many park managers would do that?

(By the way, my friend had insurance and now has an iphone!)