TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Knott's Berry Farm (KBF) Discussion Thread

P. 651: Montezooma's Revenge project terminated?

Not sure which thread to post this in, but a user on reddit (r/rollercoasters) found this coaster track traveling on the 91 West in South LA area. It's definitely Premier track... Any ideas where it could be going?

Going west on the 91 through south LA I would guess that it is headed towards one of our ports, since the 91 connects to the 110 and 710.

Not sure which thread to post this in, but a user on reddit (r/rollercoasters) found this coaster track traveling on the 91 West in South LA area. It's definitely Premier track... Any ideas where it could be going?

Going west on the 91 through south LA I would guess that it is headed towards one of our ports, since the 91 connects to the 110 and 710.

How did I not think of this. I bet you're right.

The map has to be from before 1983. Camp Snoopy opened in 1983, and does not appear in the map. Based on the presence of the Wacky Soap Box Racers and the lack of Camp Snoopy causes me to think it is from 1980, 1981, or 1982. The lack of emphasis on the Soap Box Racers, which opened in 1980, seems to exclude that year, and as previously mentioned, the expiration of the SeaWorld coupon is in 1983, so I would place my bets on 1982.

All the dates and days only match up to 1983. Just go back to any calendar and you'll see they all only match to 1983.

Also just noticed that it says on the top of the map. Camp Snoopy opening July 1st.

Yeah, after my post I realized it probably was 1983.

One thing I wish companies would stop doing is bowing down to the 1 person who's a pain in the ass. to take away something that might be enjoyable for everyone else. For once I would just like them to say "Well, you might feel that way, but you're wrong, your opinion stinks, and nobody else feels that way, so we're just gonna ahead and ignore you and do what we want."

I mean what in horror story is not based around someone who must be mentally unstable to go around torturing and killing people?

The Fear VR attraction has been shut down already over complaints it's offensive to those with mental health issues.

The thing that's so infuriating is: Not ONE of the people who pushed the "offensive and stigmatizing mental illness" label even knew what the specifics of the experience were. Not one of them saw it, and the most vocal opponents based everything they knew about the attraction from a brief and vague summary from a blogger who attended a media preview. Where the hell were all these people during the nearly decade long run of the two Asylum mazes?

One thing I wish companies would stop doing is bowing down to the 1 person who's a pain in the A$$. to take away something that might be enjoyable for everyone else.

I wouldn't call the National Alliance of Mental Illness (NAMI) one person, but I agree, it's stupid to just yank something from production over a complaint like this. Put out your apology to those offended, and remind people that this is not meant to be realistic BECAUSE GHOSTS.

Knott's did make a mistake in putting 5150 in the title (in this day in age, you have to expect there to be SJW's to ruin everything), but definitely should not have backed down. The institution is a research institution, not a mental hospital. You were a patient checking in for the study.

I assume in like 5-10 years all the Halloween stuff will be canceled in Californian amusement parks. There was that show at Universal a few years ago and now this.

The newest haunt at Discovery Kingdom is actually based on a mental asylum unlike this VR thing. How long before that's shut down too? Hell, I bet someone at some point in time will be "Triggered" with fear by the mere sight of a rollercoaster since they have a fear of them. So the state government will require massive facade walls built around parks or just order their removal.

I assume in like 5-10 years all the Halloween stuff will be canceled in Californian amusement parks. There was that show at Universal a few years ago and now this.

The newest haunt at Discovery Kingdom is actually based on a mental asylum unlike this VR thing. How long before that's shut down too? Hell, I bet someone at some point in time will be "Triggered" with fear by the mere sight of a rollercoaster since they have a fear of them. So the state government will require massive facade walls built around parks or just order their removal.

SFDK already shut it down in response to KBF and CGA shutting theirs down. They renamed it and turned it into a generic zombie maze removing all asylum references.

There have been similar "controversies" in Virginia. A few years ago, Busch Gardens removed a series of human heads on spikes from their "Vampire Point" scare zone, and their "Cut Throat Cove" pirate maze, because of the ISIS beheading videos. People complained that displaying heads was disrespectful to victims of ISIS; however, random feet, legs, and hands scattered all over the park's "Ripper Row" were left alone. (Gee--isn't this disrespectful of Jack the Ripper's victims?)

Kings Dominion also closed down a maze themed to ghostly coal miners seeking revenge against the people who left them for dead after a cave in. This was deemed disrespectful of the families of coal-mining-disaster victims and rescue workers.

In a word . . .

Since this seems to be the main place for asylum talk I figured I would give an update as to what has been happening.

All 3 VR haunts gone

Valleyfair-asylum scare zone gone

Six Flags Discovery Kingdom- Dark Oaks Asylum removed from website

Six Flags New England- Pyscho-Path Haunted Asylum renamed The Forgotten Laboratory

Six Flags Over Texas- Cadaver Hall Asylum removed from website

Six Flags Great America- Massacre Medical Center was referred to as an asylum in description and that has now changed and doesn't mention the "A" word anymore

*All information came from comparing haunt maps to parks haunt website.

Went to Knott's on Friday, September 30th from 10 - 1pm. I finally got a ride on the Galloping Goose, about 10 rides on Ghostrider and a few rides on Silver Bullet and Xcelerator. Ghostrider has some dead time during the week.

IMG_20160930_120050.thumb.jpg.6cc34143de59752e164400ab81b9c71b.jpg

Galloping Goose waiting for passengers

IMG_20160930_120712.thumb.jpg.e192c1639e8d2cc96b4d46d765901085.jpg

Getting robbed before we even leave

IMG_20160930_121504.thumb.jpg.2d64b9d87c270dfc017323247b2ad7b9.jpg

Dashboard

IMG_20160930_123558.thumb.jpg.37bc6ea5c2885747b1263a1d57893605.jpg

No wait for Ghostrider!

IMG_20160930_124148.thumb.jpg.02399b74a8536ae75c6106c39b912796.jpg

Mostly empty station

^ Yeah, that Galloping Goose train is a pretty wierd looking thing. When I was there a few weeks back,

I rode the bigger Rio Grande train around the park. But they had the GG running too, on the quieter Monday I was there.

IMG_2092.JPG.b568265bc4ff78417b3cbebdb369d71c.JPG

Galloping Goose, from the outside. And yes, that's the whole train in the photo!