TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Knott's Berry Farm (KBF) Discussion Thread

I liked the baskets you stood in for the Sky Jump (rather than the usual seats)--it was a great ride.

• Replies 15.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not to derail this thread any further, but a huge part of the problem is there not anything actually tough about them. They exist, and some businesses (like Knotts when they were open for all their fo

Toughest mask mandates in the country for months and months. When will masks start working? 

Here's some random night shots from Taste of Merry Farm.   Camp Snoopy looked the best at night, imo.  I guess I like the lights up the trees thing the best.      The Bear-Y Tales

Posted Images

I was absolutely terrified of that ride as a kid. I couldn't even stand up in the baskets.

I was dragged onto Sky Jump a couple times when I was a kid, and I never liked it at all. It wasn't the heights, as I always enjoyed the Sky Cabin, but just standing in the little basket and falling at a high speed. I wonder what I'd think of the ride if it were still around...I'd probably find it boring now with Supreme Scream next door.

I was a bit nervous about the Sky Jump when I was a teenager, but once the basket rose to the top, I loved it.

Thanks. I did not realize that Sky Cabin and the Sky Drop were on the same tower. Why did they take it out, just wondering.

Also, great image of the original Corkscrew entrance.

There were a couple reasons that float around about the Sky Jump's closure. The simplest is the fact that the technology of that ride was behind the times, and it would have cost way too much money to actually update the system to be fully computer controlled. Just like the Haunted Shack, they measured the cost of fixing it vs. the cost of just taking it out.

We know which one won out.

As for the other reason, there has always been a strong rumor that the ride closed due to a man committing suicide from the top because his girlfriend had recently broke up with him. I don't know how much that might have lead directly to them shutting it down, but as a park manager, I'd probably look at that, then look at making the system more modern and more dummy proof. And then weigh the above options

I think Timber Mountain Log Ride re-opened this morning. Has anyone heard anything regarding the improvements? This ride was my absolute favorite but I haven't ridden since 1988, and I'm visiting this summer. I'm very exited to hear the reviews of the refurbishment!

I think Timber Mountain Log Ride re-opened this morning. Has anyone heard anything regarding the improvements? This ride was my absolute favorite but I haven't ridden since 1988, and I'm visiting this summer. I'm very exited to hear the reviews of the refurbishment!

From what I'm reading on Twitter, the log ride hasn't opened yet today, and is experiencing delays.

Seeing as this was the state of the ride on Monday when I took the video, as well as all the logs still being in a shed next to Xcelerator, this doesn't surprise me.

^

Here's the video of them craning in some of the final props:

They finished this up around 30 minutes after the park opened. There were staff standing by to prevent people from passing as the props were lifted into place and the crane was taken back across the street. They must really be in a time crunch if they were doing stuff during park hours and on Memorial Day.

I didn't have a good memory of riding the one at Knott's so it was a nice surprise a few years ago at Tokyo Dome City to ride the parachutes with a stand-up cage. It is definitely FAR scarier standing up than sitting down!

I was always afraid that I would fly out of the basket when it fell to the ground.

One time, after the ride was over, the operator asked us if we wanted to go again.

I screamed, "No," yet up we went anyways.

Not going to lie - the first time I heard the lift motor rev up I legitimately thought that a woman nearby was screaming.

Just got home from the park, as of 230 the log ride wasn't open yet but they are trying there hardest to get it open sometime today.

They didn't get it open today.

To their credit, the park tried really hard to get the Log Ride open on the media day, but it just didn't work out. It did open today though, and everyone I've talked to who has been inside says it's really great. I'll be back at the park this weekend to get coverage of it, so expect a full report on all the new additions (Boardwalk and Log Ride) in the coming days!