TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Knott's Berry Farm (KBF) Discussion Thread

P. 651: Montezooma's Revenge project terminated?

KBF most likely will not get a giga coaster because of the space limits.

This couldn't be further from the truth. If Knotts wants a giga coaster, trust me on this, they will MAKE room! But the question really is if they want one or not.

^^ I was at Knotts today, and was surprised that the stage coach was running. I figured this would be another undetermined closing of a ride. I don't ride it, but it's good it was back for families.

The park was moderately busy today. Montezuma's Revenge was down more than up today. I was there last night for for their New Years Eve celebration. It was getting too cold for me, but yes the park was beautiful. Especially the kids area with the lights and decorations. They had live DJ's with different music at different locations in the park. The stage near Jaguar had a DJ playing Spanish / Hispanic music. The main stage by the train station had a great DJ mixing dance music that I enjoyed. If it was only warmer for this "Florida freeze baby" I would've stayed until close.

I was at the park today and the Stagecoach did re-open. It was running fine and I didn't see any modifications.

Also, I give props to the Montezooma crew for timing the launch to make Jaguar thread the loop while Monte's train is on the loop. I saw it happen a few times today including my ride on Jaguar.

Perilous was never open during haunt so the park would normally just take it down for rehab 1st/2nd week of September as soon as Summer was over.

They used to keep it open during Haunt. Mischievous clowns may or may not have had super soakers on the return to the station.

I rode Perilous Plunge once. The drop was pretty intense for a water ride, but I never rode it again because of the awful cycle times. I don't think I even took pictures of it. Every time I wanted to get pictures of it I would get too annoyed by how long the cycle times took.

Perilous was never open during haunt so the park would normally just take it down for rehab 1st/2nd week of September as soon as Summer was over.

They used to keep it open during Haunt. Mischievous clowns may or may not have had super soakers on the return to the station.

You're absolutely correct. I was an operator when said clowns were doing that!!

I didn't see this posted over the last few days, might have fallen through the cracks, but holy crap!

Buena Park, CA – One of the oldest log flume rides in the country will be the beneficiary of a multi-million dollar refurbishment and restoration project that will begin this January. The classic attraction, which opened at Knott’s Berry Farm in 1969, remains as one of the most elaborate log flume rides in the U.S.

The $3.5 million attraction was originally funded entirely by its designer Bud Hurlbut who had previously designed Knott’s Berry Farm’s classic Calico Mine Ride. Hurlbut, a pioneer in the theme park attraction industry, wanted his flume ride to be a completely immersive experience. The Calico Log Ride, as it was originally named, takes guests through an 85-foot-high by 330-foot-long mountain range themed to a nineteenth-century lumber camp. The ride, housed in an eight-story building, includes 24,000 gallons of water that circulates free floating logs past a variety of mechanical figures and taxidermied animals culminating in a forty-two-foot free fall.

The much anticipated attraction opened in July 11, 1969 with screen legend John Wayne taking the inaugural ride. The Knott’s Timber Mountain Log Ride remains the most popular ride in the park, surpassing all of Knott’s other attractions in ridership.

“The Timber Mountain Log Ride not only embodies the spirit of Knott’s Berry Farm, but it also set the bar for all themed attractions that came after,” says Raffi Kaprelyan, Knott’s general manager who worked for Bud Hurlbut from 1979-1983. “Bud Hurlbut made numerous contributions to Knott’s Berry Farm, but I think that the Timber Mountain Log Ride remains his crowning achievement.”

Garner Holt Productions of San Bernardino will assist in the revitalization project that is expected to take five months. Garner Holt is the world’s largest designer and manufacturer of animatronics for theme parks, museums, dining and retail locations and has built nearly 3,000 animatronic figures and hundreds of animated props and show action systems. Garner Holt will work with the Knott’s team to upgrade all the ride figures and sets as well as add new scenes and characters to enhance the ride experience while still maintaining the original theming and storyline of the attraction.

Link

img_2490__custom__281.thumb.jpg.1281e8b91d61f4e746ddbafcf4ff33e0.jpg

Edited by robbalvey

The Log Ride is already in great shape thanks to Knott's management and with this revitilization, it's really good to see how well Knott's takes care of their log flume. I can't wait to see how it looks when it re-opens. With this and the new Boardwalk, I really like the direction Knott's management is taking.

Knott's takes a great deal of pride in their Log Ride, and with good reason. Glad to hear this is happening. Out of all of the attractions at Knott's, TMLR causes the most guest complaints when it's down for refurb.

This is great news to me because I've never been to Knotts but hopefully when I get around to making that trip the Log Flume will still be operating! I love a good log flume, but for whatever reason it seems like there haven't been any great log flumes built in the past decade. I know they are probably expensive to maintain and operate, but even the newer flumes like Shoot the Rapids, and Pilgrims Plunge just don't seem to be as cool as the older rides. Exciting news.

^^^

Because the story starts:

Buena Park, CA – The oldest log flume ride in the country will ...

-R

I totally missed that! That's what I get for still being half asleep when I posted it. I guess KBF PR missed it too, contradicting themselves in the release.