TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Knott's Berry Farm (KBF) Discussion Thread

P. 651: Montezooma's Revenge project terminated?

Sad news from the park today. Knotts legend, Bud Hurlbut died yesterday. He was responsible for the classics, Timber Mountain Log Ride and the Calico Mine Ride.

Bud Hurlbut, who created some of Knott's Berry Farm's centerpiece rides, died Wednesday. He was 93.

Hurlbut worked for years with Walter Knott, the founder of Knott's Berry Farm. There, Hurlbut designed and built the Calico Mine Ride and the Timber Mountain Log Ride -- two attractions that, decades after they were built, remain among the most popular rides in the park.

The rest of the article can be found here.

www.ocregister.com/news/-283078--.html

This is very sad news as these are two absolutely classic and charming attractions as well as the best rides left from the pre cedar fair regime.

Oh, no...this is very sad news indeed. I've met Bud on a couple of different occasions and he always seemed a very nice and sincere guy. Bud also built Castle Park in Riverside. You can see some of his original Knott's attractions, like Tijuana Taxi still in operation at that park.

At least he lived a very long life...

--Robb

Yes he sure did and I've met him a couple times as well and seen his shop behind Knott's horse stables. I thought I liked trains until I saw his shop.....then I fell in love with them. Bud also got Walt Disney's creative juices flowing as Walt Disney watched Mine Ride closely as it was being built. Mine Ride has trains 1-6 and Castle Park in Riverside has Train # 7.

Knott's just posted this to their facebook:

Construction Starts for Knott’s New Attraction

Construction has begun for Knott’s Berry Farm’s next new attraction, WindSeeker. The location will be in the Knott’s Fiesta Village area situated between Knott’s Carousel and the Jaguar! roller coaster.

“This addition will add another exciting attraction to one of the Park’s most historic areas, Fiesta Village, which first opened to the public in 1969,” said Marty Keithley, Knott’s General Manager. The attraction is scheduled to open sometime between Memorial Day and the 4th of July 2011.

Rising over 300 feet in the air, WindSeeker will take 64 passengers to new heights as it ascends above the theme park and then swings passengers for a ride like no other.

WindSeeker will be designed and manufactured by Mondial, a company based in the Netherlands that has been creating thrill rides for the amusement park industry since 1987. Mondial is known for their innovative and unique rides and maintains the highest standards in regards to quality and safety.

WindSeeker will feature 32, 2-person gondolas that will ascend to a height of 300 feet. Once it has reached the top of the tower, WindSeeker will spread it’s metal arms swinging riders for a 60 second flight at a 45 degree angle at a speed of 8 rotations per minute.

“Due to the long airtime, riders will experience a spectacular sense of weightlessness. This, combined with the fact that riders legs will be unrestrained, will create a sense of exhilaration which will enhance the feeling of free flight,” said Keithley.

Knott's Facebook Page

Windseeker1.jpg.0ce6a875fc86835b7ba1fd6c499f113f.jpg

Construction has begun for Knott’s Berry Farm’s next new attraction, WindSeeker. The location will be in the Knott’s Fiesta Village area situated between Knott’s Carousel and the Jaguar! roller coaster.

Windseeker2.jpg.5e1ce8ffe579bfb4a693ac1e0e6fb780.jpg

Windseeker3.jpg.d692c38b8a18649ba565c51a15d99340.jpg

Soopy.jpg.32fa72293e16968d77c70c9459ace566.jpg

Edited by COASTER FREAK 11

Seriously, Ghostrider used to be one of the best in the world and I know people who would fly across the country just to ride it.

GhostRider was once the best wooden coaster I've ever been on, at my favorite park anywhere. None of which, sadly, is true anymore. But the question is: Is this Cedar Fair's fault for being shortsighted, or do they correctly gauge that the general public is only interested in new things, and therefore consider it a waste of resources to maintain that which is old?

Does current Knott's make more money than old Knott's?

Sad news from the park today. Knotts legend, Bud Hurlbut died yesterday. He was responsible for the classics, Timber Mountain Log Ride and the Calico Mine Ride.

Those two rides were the heart of Knott's Berry Farm. I've no doubt that Cedar Fair shall knock them both over someday, to put in something new and stupid and shiny. But until then, KBF still has some worth in it.

Thanks, Bud.

/Worked a lot of rides. None better than Mine Ride.

Windseeker to be delayed due to change in location:

http://www.latimes.com/travel/deals/themeparks/la-trb-knotts-berry-farm-windseeker-01201107,0,4919625.story

Knott's Berry Farm has chosen a new location for its 2011 swing tower, pushing back the debut of the $5-million thrill ride to mid-summer while at the same time preserving one of the park's aging landmarks.

The 301-foot-tall WindSeeker spinning swing ride, which was scheduled to replace the 225-foot-tall Sky Cabin gyro observation tower in the Boardwalk section of the Buena Park theme park, will now be built in the Fiesta Village area between a 100-year-old carousel and the Jaguar roller coaster, Knott's officials confirmed.

WindSeeker, which was expected to open as early as spring, may now make its debut as late as the Fourth of July, officials said.

Save Up to 90%: Sign up for our free daily e-mail to get in on exclusive deals around L.A. Powered by Groupon. Subscribe Now.

The ride will carry 64 riders in twin-seat gondolas to the top of the tower, where the ride’s metal arms will extend out at a 45-degree angle and spin for one minute at 30 mph.

The new location will require the demolition of a barbecue restaurant but won't significantly affect other existing rides. The relocation also means the park will retain and renovate the venerable Sky Cabin, built in 1976 and painted in patriotic red, white and blue.

In recent years, the sedate observation deck has become better known for getting stuck in mid-ascent than for its commanding views. Knott’s removed the nostalgic Sky Jump parachute drop from the tower in 1999, leaving only the Sky Cabin.

WindSeeker will be just a bit shorter than Knott’s 312-foot-tall Supreme Scream turbo drop ride, touted as the tallest freestanding structure in Orange County when it was built in 1998.

Even with a change in location, they can't get a tower ride built in 5 months?

I couldn't help but notice that Jaguar! appears to be getting some new paint on its supports.

While I do like Intamin Gyro Towers, I think it's not a smart move to keep a 36-year-old ride going when it's already shown to be having some difficulties related to "old age."

Eric