TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Knott's Berry Farm (KBF) Discussion Thread

P. 651: Montezooma's Revenge project terminated?

Sad to see trains completely stopped at that point on GhostRider. I'm sure that really affects the rest of the ride. The drop immediately following the brake was my favorite part of the ride, too.

No doubt I'll make my token visit to Knott's sometime this year. If not at WCB, then sometime after Windseeker opens.

Eric

NOOOOO!!! That is the worst news on what now is not my favorite woody, I don't even have to ride it with the stop to downgrade it. I never had bad or rough rides on Ghostrider, maybe its just how I ride it. But wow, a complete stop right before the drop is very depressing.

Screamscape is reporting this:

http://www.screamscape.com/html/knott_s_berry_farm.htm

(1/4/11) I’ve heard reports now from two different sources that GhostRider’s mid-course brake run has been altered to now bring the train to a virtual complete stop for several seconds before allowing it to plunge down the hill into the second half of the ride. Anyone know why this may have been done? It’s been several years since I’ve been on GhostRider, but back when the ride was fairly new the brakes there barely used to touch the train at all, and the fast steep plunge into the thick wooden structure from here was once one of the ride’s highlights.

Has anyone been on it recently that can report back to Screamscape?

^ I just watched some videos of it on youtube, looks like they bring you to a complete stop for a good 5 seconds, what a shame.

13 years and now they decide to trim the ride.

It's the Cedar Fair love of trim brakes . When they took over The Beast at Kings Island they put in 4 new sets of trims, even on the first downhill The said the ride was tearing itself up??? I'll bet these brakes are permanent on GR.

^ I just watched some videos of it on youtube, looks like they bring you to a complete stop for a good 5 seconds, what a shame.

Link?

For those of you that have brought up the Rocky Mt. treatment, do you think would benefit from just some track topper, or more along the lines of the full on TG treatment? I ask because I've heard many times that it used to be an amazing ride, so I'm wondering if the general attitude is should it be brought back to what it used to be (TT) or redeveloped into a new experience (TG).

I will wait until I ride again to decide for sure, but if GhostRider has a mid-ride stop it will probably drop significantly in my coaster rankings. This sounds worse than what Griffon does on its mid-course brake. It wouldn't be too bad if the brakes only slowed the train down, but if they stop it that interrupts the pacing of the ride significantly. Hopefully this is only a temporary fix and they will do some retracking of that portion of the ride during the next refurbishment so a stop is no longer necessary, but unfortunately I doubt that is the case.

Link?

For those of you that have brought up the Rocky Mt. treatment, do you think would benefit from just some track topper, or more along the lines of the full on TG treatment? I ask because I've heard many times that it used to be an amazing ride, so I'm wondering if the general attitude is should it be brought back to what it used to be (TT) or redeveloped into a new experience (TG).

Topper Track would be fine. Its all that would be needed. Ghost Rider is an amazing ride, but its fallen apart over time. The original was great so there wouldn't be a need to change it. Plus, with the layout the way it is, I dont think you could really alter the ride too much to make any worth while difference.

Link?

Here's one video (WARNING: Loud!)

ADMIN EDIT! LINK REMOVED! THIS VIDEO WAS NOT FILMED WITH PERMISSION FROM THE PARK AND CONTAINS VULGAR LANGUAGE. THE USER HAS BEEN GIVEN A 1 WEEK BAN FROM TPR FOR POSTING THIS VIDEO. PLEASE READ OUR POSTING RULES AND TOS BEFORE POSTING ANY VIDEOS TO TPR!

Edited by robbalvey

I feel the banking is what is adding to this downgrade of reliability. The turn just before the Mid course brake is a good example. The coaster has to be going at least 40 miles into that turn and I'm sure the wear is showing a lot there. (that is the only area I have to ride cautiously.) In all honesty, I love how rough it is, only because I love that out of control feeling it has.

I feel the banking is what is adding to this downgrade of reliability. The turn just before the Mid course brake is a good example. The coaster has to be going at least 40 miles into that turn and I'm sure the wear is showing a lot there. (that is the only area I have to ride cautiously.) In all honesty, I love how rough it is, only because I love that out of control feeling it has.

More like 10 to 15mph.

Not even close, that would be really painful, haha. Its much closer to 15.

The banking of the track has no effect on the forces are applied to the superstructure when a train passes. All that matters is train mass and speed. Regardless of how severely a track section is banked the force applied to the supports is the same. Only the train and its riders are affected by track banking.

That being said, this coaster is in a sad state. Its deplorably un-ridable these days - I can usually only have a single go during my trips. I do consider myself fortunate to have ridden it in its hey-day... it was one magnificent beast.