TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Knott's Berry Farm (KBF) Discussion Thread

P. 651: Montezooma's Revenge project terminated?

^Exactly. Zoom has those horrible exit stairs that guests cannot wait on while the ride is in motion. That'd be a real pain in the behind for the SINGLE operator on dock. As for Xcel, between it's incredible amount of downtime, mixed with its onw train operation, the program would be too unfair for those waiting in line. Sure, you payed that money to ride, but because of it, the people who did wait in line originally for an hr or so, now have to wait possibly twice as long. And Jaguar? Seriously I'd feel like a real d-bag coming up the exit with a "hate to wait" ticket

Still a ton of bugs to work out, but this program seems to be a step in the right direction.

BTW, in case anyone's wondering, the program is actually called "Hate to Wait." (Fun Fact )

As I was walking into Knott's I stopped for a moment to watch Ghostrider come around the turn, but it came really slow... and then... it just stopped...

That is GhostRider's Mid-course brake-run, a designated stopping area. it is not uncommon for trains to stop there.

I'm just saying that lines on any ride don't "stop for an hour" due to FastPass. That just doesn't happen. I'm letting you know this so you can be better educated on the system for when you write reports later on down the line. If the line stopped for an hour, then something else happened, like the ride broke down. But they do not hold back a stand by line for an hour because of FastPass.

I know that it's hard to believe that a line could stop that long but it did. We were only about 50 people back at the time it did. There were no breakdowns. They just kept letting fast pass people in. They would let about 100 people in and then if we were lucky a person or two from the standby line. The wait time for standby when we entered the line said 30 minutes. It took us 2 hours and 20 minutes by the time we left the ride.

I don't know why on this forum that people have to tear apart posts that they don't agree with. I just don't agree with paid line cutting at parks as it puts people with less money or with larger families at a disadvantage.

Jim

^But having less money and a bigger family usually put you at a disadvantage at most things! Not just theme parks. Oh, and they were your choice. Choose to have a large family or choose to spend more money...CHOICE.

Don't blame people that either don't have kids or choose to have small families so they can afford the 'luxuries' in life! Everyone makes a choice. I may choose to stay at a crappier Disney hotel than I can afford so that I can spend that money to buy Universal Express...CHOICE.

^But having less money and a bigger family usually put you at a disadvantage at most things! Not just theme parks. Oh, and they were your choice. Choose to have a large family or choose to spend more money...CHOICE.

Don't blame people that either don't have kids or choose to have small families so they can afford the 'luxuries' in life! Everyone makes a choice. I may choose to stay at a crappier Disney hotel than I can afford so that I can spend that money to buy Universal Express...CHOICE.

Thank you, thank you.......and.....THANK YOU.

This may be my favorite post of 2010.

I don't know why on this forum that people have to tear apart posts that they don't agree with. I just don't agree with paid line cutting at parks

I'm totally fine with you not agreeing about paid line cutting at parks. I have no issue with your difference of opinion on that at all. Please do not confuse that with what I think is an "unbelievable story" about your FastPass experience. I'm sorry to have to say this, but it's simply hard to believe that you stood there for 1 hour while you watched them let only FastPass people get on a ride.

And when I say "I don't believe the story", I'm not calling you a lair, it's just that to me it sounds "unbelievable." If I am to take the road where I put some faith in our members and that story DID actually happen, then that cast member who was allowing it should be fired on the spot, because that is just simply not how the system works, nor should it be made an example of the FastPass system in your reports, as it's not how the system is intended to work.

I don't have an issue with anyone disagreeing with me. No one on this forum does. But often times someones "opinions" can be confused with the admins of this site offering a different perspective from a "professional" point of view, because we have all had work experience at theme parks, which many of our members do not.

You used this FastPass example to convince people why the system is flawed. But your example, if it's in fact true, is an anomaly of the system, but you're using it as your core defense of why these systems don't work. That is wrong, and THAT is what I take issue with. Not your difference of opinion from mine.

I hope that makes sense.

--Robb

Edited by robbalvey

This has nothing to do with line cutting systems but we did notice that the ops were actually getting the train out very fast on Xcelerator the other day. I was pleasantly surprised and Christine almost clapped at one point she was so impressed! We were in the front row and actually had a funny moment with one of the ops as he checked our restraints. I wish that everyone experience at Knott's could be like that!

^I've noticed that SFMM and Knott's cannot both be good at the same time. They seem to rotate. As SFMM was improving over the last 4-5 years, Knotts was getting worse and worse. Now with Knotts improving and some of the weird stuff going on at Magic, I'm pretty sure we're at the reversal point!

It depends on how hard it rains. Normally if it rains hard in the morning on a low attendence day (like a 10 to 6 day) they would just close the park completely. But since this is the week of Christmas which would mean higher crowd levels, they most likely will not close the park. But it all really depends on how hard it rains.

LOL, Im sorry to say this, but is history is an indication, the park will simply not open that day. However with this being the holiday season they may not close. In that case expect a lot of rides to be down including: Xcelerator, Boomerang, Pony express, possibly Jaguar, most of camp snoopy, and a handful of flat rides. (This list is from the last time I was at the park, when it was actually open in the rain)

^ & ^^ That's amazing to me. At our waterpark, we closed maybe one day in six years because of a massive thunder storm and temperatures in the 40's. People may not realize it, but rain affects a water park a ton(at least in Northern California) because rain is freezing, and everything you need to get dried off gets soaked. Yet even if it was in the 50's, we would still stay open. Not debating the rides being closed, even if it is stupid, just that they actually close the whole park! Talk about leaving a bad taste in the guests mouths!

In regards to Xcel, Red Train is indeed back in operation. By the way, if you want a butter smooth ride then now is the time to do it before it gets worn in again. She is riding like a champ right now and even silent enough to notice the difference. One more thing, that's what she said. I dunno...

During light rain

Xcelerator:Closed

Boomerang:Closed

Silver Bullet:Closed

GhostRider:Closed

Montezooma's Revenge:Closed

Jaguar!:Closed

Pony Express:Drops to 1 train

Sierra Sidewinder:Drops to 1 train

All other rides remain open, unless lightning is sighted withing 5 miles of the park, in which all rides halt operation. If rain is in the forecast for X operating day before 7am M-F, the park will remain closed.

It's supposed to rain for the next five days or something crazy like that. Call Knotts and see what they've been doing (opening or not) to give you an idea of how they'll be on the 23rd.

Knott's REALLY likes to close at the hint of bad weather...well I should say they used to...now that it seems Knotts may be improving (at the cost of SFMM!) you have a chance!

If it's any indication, today, the park stayed open the entire day, despite a nasty constant drizzle the whole day. The above mentioned rides were open for about 45 minutes in the morning, and then down the rest of the day. With the Christmas season here, they will not close the park, but you probably will not be finding much open. Hope you're just there for Snoopy on ice

Hi. I just joined because I happened to come across this website and this thread one day after going to Knott's Merry Farm in the rain so I thought I could offer some insight. I was there yesterday, December 18. It rained all day and they kept the park open as well as many of the rides. The outdoor shows were cancelled. So no Wagon Camp show or Native American dancers. The parade, and the carolers were cancelled. The tree lighting show was scaled back to just a sing along with the Calico Carolers - just one song - and Snoopy lighting the tree. The stage was really wet. At least they tested out the snow before they came out and said the actual show was cancelled, so everyone got a kick out of the snow falling.

When I parked (around 9:15 a.m.) I was warned the park may close between 2 and 5, but that it was not definite. The staff asked me if I still wanted to park. I don't know how much of a choice any of the latecomers had. When I entered the park I asked about the ice show possibly being cancelled as I was planning on seeing the last show. I was told not to put off seeing the show because if they close the park the last couple of shows may be cancelled. I found that hard to believe since it was the last weekend of Toys for Tots as well as the Police and Fire and Social Service free admission. It's like why not just come over to see the indoor shows. Oh well, I took them at their word and changed my plans from lunch first to shows and then lunch. After seeing the saloon show and both the Birdcage Theater shows, I went out of the park at 1:30 to go to Mrs. Knott's, which had a pretty short line, by the way, and they were still letting people enter the park.

Around that time I heard that the Ghostrider was temporarily closed, but I could see it was open later. I'm sorry to say I don't know about many of the other rides that you may be interested in because I was there mostly to see the shows and do the Log Ride, which was open. The attendance was lighter than normal, but just enough to give you elbow room and walking around was really nice. Really wet too, but nice. The guests were mostly polite and it was one of the most enjoyable times I've had at Knott's Merry Farm as far as interacting with other guests. If it wasn't for the big puddles of water and the constant cold rain it would have been extremely enjoyable! I'm just not that big on thrill rides, so perhaps I would feel differently if there was one I really wanted to do and could not.

Stagecoach was not running. I think that is for the safety of the horses. I did the Log Ride aka Elf Mountain, the Mine Train Ride, the Calico Train (cab ride), Mystery Lodge. I saw the ice show, two Birdcage Theater Christmas shows, and the Holiday Saloon Show. And what there was of the tree lighting, which really was not worth standing in the rain for unless you have kids who really love the sight of Snoopy. Also did a litle shopping. Oh, and the crafters just cover up as best as they can during the rain. They are still there until Dec. 24. One of them has a nice little area that is great to get out of the rain and look at her crafts. Like a little wood shed.

I left around 9:30 p.m. The park was pretty empty by around 8:30 or 9 p.m. I was just hanging out around the train. But, yeah, they keep the park open until the official closing time, even though it rained all day. That was mostly light rain. Heavier than drizzle, though.

I was thinking of going back on Dec. 23rd so I could see the parade, carolers, and full tree lighting show. Plus I am friendly with someone who works there so stopping by again will be nice and he can get me in for free. I was figuring the rain would end by Thursday. I thought I saw a forecast of partly cloudy on line. But ABC7 says there is a forecast of rain in the a.m. at 30% chance right now. I am figuring that it might rain in the early a.m. I hope, I hope! I think you could watch the forecast and call the park in the morning. Don't be discouraged if someone tells you there is a "chance" it might close later in the day. Just go for the indoor shows at least. And maybe the Log Ride and Mine Train and see what happens with the rest of the rides. I know that yesterday most people, employees and guests, were friendly and had the Christmas spirt. So it's a good experience no matter what as long as they are open.

As for discounts, I don't know if this still works, but it used to be that when you paid for the Christmas Crafts Village admission you could slip past the employees at the sections that block off the rest of the park. (That is unless you have a huge family group with you.) It is even easier to do that in the rain, I suppose, because of gloves covering many guests hands where the hand stamp would be and guests carrying umbrellas. Who knows, maybe by the 23rd employees don't care much if you slip by. Just make sure you pay for the extra ticket to get into the ice show if you go with the Christmas Crafts admission. See the Knott's website for the prices of Crafts Village admission (Mon. thru Friday, ending this week).