TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Knott's Berry Farm (KBF) Discussion Thread

P. 651: Montezooma's Revenge project terminated?

Here's my Cali line up speculation...I'm going by some logic here.

MACK Launcher: Either SeaWorld, or Discovery Kingdom will get this. I'd love Reef Runner to become a reality...and yes, most likely if it's built, I see an indoor section or the whole this enclosed (due to noise complaints). SFDK could get this for a pretty obvious reason; the last time they had a immense coaster project (no not THBS and V2, not counting Zonga) was Medusa, almost ten years ago, and I can see a MACK launcher fitting perfectly in the atmosphere of SFDK. Personally I'm leaning towards Sea World because of the time the launcher is to be installed; 2014 was the reported year that the Project Reef Runner had been moved back to, and also when the launcher is to be installed.

Mega Coaster (Intamin or B&M): Knott's is getting one or the other possibly. I agree with the above post, Knott's has enough launchers as it is. At this point I'm leaning a little more towards B&M because of Silver Bullet. Plus with Intamin Cable fiasco last year, I just can't see them going to Intamin...but if they liked how I305 turned out, it's possible that they'd go to Intamin. For now I'd lable this one Speculation.

Drop Tower???: Rumored SFMM could possibly get a drop tower in a year or two, I doubt this highly, but, it's SFMM so anything could happen. I doubt this because of their capacity; unless they do an S&S combo tower, it just wouldn't be able to hold up to the crowds SFMM pulls in.

^I won't believe it until the park makes the announcement, builds it and has it up and running for a year.

I can hear the moans now about it completing Cedar Fair's charm destruction process. Those people can get stuffed! At one time Knott's took risks and installed big, industry-first ground-breaking attractions. A giga would be a return to glory. I hope it happens.

Meh... the charms already gone and it aint coming back. Might as well build something massive and awesome so in compensation for the removal of Knotts' former glory we can at least have an awesome coaster. I hope all the rumors are true because pony express is ****! In fact my favorite ride Knotts has added since Accelerator is Sierra Sidewinder(its so fun ) then silver bullet, so needless to say Knotts often disappoints me in the thrill department.

Besides Ghost Town, what else in Knott's has any worth in terms of preserving? They could pretty much re-theme the entire park besides Ghost Town and I would be totally fine.

To me, 1998-99 were Knott's finest years, when Ghostrider and Supreme Scream just opened. It still felt like good ole' Knott's, only with this kick-ass wooden coaster and a drop tower. Trashcans were still at an appropriate level and it didn't quite yet feel like part of a corporate chain. Good times.

Still petitioning that they should paint Silver Bullet brown with...silver trains. My level of Knott's enthusiasm would increase. Throw in a beautiful tree and some shrubs/speaker boxes of bigfoot roaring or something where Pony Express used to be, and I would be sold. Ban the ride op headsets? Yes! Ban the notion that a roller coaster needs a 19 year old talk show host? Oh God Yes!!! And sure, an Intamin Giga would be incredibly awesome.

If my calculations are correct, Knott's doesn't even need a full 12 steps to recover. Just those four or five things would be swell.

Drop Tower???: Rumored SFMM could possibly get a drop tower in a year or two, I doubt this highly, but, it's SFMM so anything could happen. I doubt this because of their capacity; unless they do an S&S combo tower, it just wouldn't be able to hold up to the crowds SFMM pulls in.

There's also the rumor of the Dive Machine for SFMM-something I would definitely like to see at a local park.

Mega Coaster (Intamin or B&M): Knott's is getting one or the other possibly. I agree with the above post, Knott's has enough launchers as it is. At this point I'm leaning a little more towards B&M because of Silver Bullet. Plus with Intamin Cable fiasco last year, I just can't see them going to Intamin...but if they liked how I305 turned out, it's possible that they'd go to Intamin.

I could definitely see them going with B&M, for the above reasons, and due to most of the recent hyper installations at CF parks. There were rumors back before Pony Express of a B&M Hyper or some kind of hyper going in, so it could be something that got put back on the drawing board for future reference.....

On a different note-I wonder when they are planning to commence with the Windseeker construction?

This is interesting, screamscape is now reporting a RUMOR that knotts is going to keep Sky Tower and instead move Windseeker over to the Fiesta Village area. If this is true there are only three places I can mabey see it going. Two of them being as a replacement for waveswinger or the Carousel. The other place I had thought about is the area that I think use to be Jaguar's extended queue which is right in between Jaguar's entrance and the Fiesta BBQ. Which speaking of the BBQ, I have never really seen that many people go there so mabey they could take it out and build windseeker there instead.

I understand that Windseeker shouldn't take long to make, but it is starting to seem kind of odd that we havn't seen any visible sign of construction or even deconstruction of Sky Tower yet.

I think the original site planned for Windseeker is the best place for it. The Sky Cabin is old and needs to go. It's hard to imagine it in Fiesta Village; it would really cramp the area in my opinion.

Yesterday was GhostRider's 12th birthday, and I'm proud to say that I rode it at 7am on its opening day. Brings back memories of how it used to be.

Eric

Hey Theme Park Review Members!

We have great news about West Coast Bash 2011! Mark your calendars! West Coast Bash 2011 will be happening on:

Saturday, March 19th, 2011 - Six Flags Magic Mountain

Sunday, March 20th, 2011 - Knott's Berry Farm

More details will be posted soon! Please keep an eye on www.themeparkreview.com You can also follow us:

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Theme-Park-Review/194340658565

Twitter:

We hope to see you at West Coast Bash!

--Robb Alvey

www.themeparkreview.com

I'm glad to hear that Knott's is participating again this year!

It completely wore me out last year going from super late SFMM ERT to super early Knott's ERT/tours... but it was totally worth it. I had a great time at both parks. And this year we should actually get to ride Xcelerator at Knott's.

^^ This is GREAT news!!

In other news, apparently Knotts is testing out a front of line pass this off season according to Screamscape. For $40 you get to skip the line ONE (1) time to the majors except for Jaguar, Montazooma’s Revenge and Xcelerator. Now, I realize this is a test, but really? $40 to go to the front of the line of Pony Express? Sounds like they are trying to copy something from Sea World where they offer two types, a one at each ride and done, or unlimited. Hopefully they will test other types of butt in line passes as well, because while some people will pay the extra cost on a really jammed out day, I'm just not seeing the value.

In my experience, Knott's is very rarely crowded enough to the point where a front of the line pass is necessary. With the exception of rides running one train, Sierra Sidewinder, and Pony Express, I've rarely seen more than a half-hour wait for anything in the park except on a summer weekend or holiday period. If the pass doesn't include Xcelerator it's value drops, and if it is only good for one ride each it loses value as well.

Given how few rides actually get long lines at Knott's, I think it would be better for them to go with a ticket approach. For $5, you get a ticket that lets you skip the line on any one attraction from a list (say GhostRider, Silver Bullet, Xcelerator, Supreme Scream, Perilous Plunge, Montezooma's Revenge, Sierra Sidewinder, Pony Express, Boomerang, or the Log Ride). This way, people could decide how many tickets they want to buy and use them in whatever way they wanted.

You guys are missing the bigger news story here. The fact that a CEDAR FAIR park is 'testing' this system out during all their other parks off season's is VERY promising!

Imagine being able to buy one of these at Cedar Point or Kings Island!

You should all go buy the pass just to support the program and get it implemented at the other CF Parks!!!!

Personally I wish all parks would get rid of the front of the line passes, fast passes and other ways of line cutting. Ones that cost extra money suck for larger families as it's to expensive to purchase so your stuck waiting in longer lines that wouldn't be present if there weren't these passes.

If you don't know how to work the Fastpass system at Disney, your screwed. Many folks just don't know how these work. I've been screwed by the fastpass system when park hopping at Disney. You get there too late for the fastpasses then get stuck waiting a couple hours in the standby line while 4-5 times as many people go thru the fastpass line. Disney just gives out too many fastpasses.

Jim

Personally I wish all parks would get rid of the front of the line passes, fast passes and other ways of line cutting. Ones that cost extra money suck for larger families as it's to expensive to purchase so your stuck waiting in longer lines that wouldn't be present if there weren't these passes.

If you don't know how to work the Fastpass system at Disney, your screwed. Many folks just don't know how these work. I've been screwed by the fastpass system when park hopping at Disney. You get there too late for the fastpasses then get stuck waiting a couple hours in the standby line while 4-5 times as many people go thru the fastpass line. Disney just gives out too many fastpasses.

Jim

The only people who get "screwed" by the systems are those that don't understand how to use it or simply don't see the value in it (their choice).

I'm all for the systems. Never had a problem with them, never gotten "screwed" by FastPass, and the upcharge ones have always been a great value for money.

Theme Park Review strongly supports these systems!

--Robb

^ Yep. If you know how to use the system they are great! For example, several rides at SF's parks use the exit ramp for the FlashPass entrance. So on days when you are either too lazy to walk around if necessary, or the park is slightly busy but the wait time is 5 -10 minutes, the pass can provide for a good number of re-rides. In some cases, the park doesn't update the system and wait time is listed as 1 to 2 minutes. In this case, after your pass is scanned, you re-select the same ride. Works great on Mr. Freeze. On the 5 - 10 minute wait days, you simply select another ride close by and when you're done on ride 1, ride 2 is available.

Q-Bot rules. hint *cough* Knotts hint

Edited by chadster

Jim

What's so hard about working the Fastpass system at Disney? Nothing, if you remember one simple rule--always have a Fastpass in hand while you're in line for something else. And you can use a Fastpass after its appointed time if you use it on the same day.

I would love it if Knott's offered some sort of "fastpass" during Haunt that didn't involve some sort of expensive tour. The last time I was there around Halloween the lines were overwhelming.

Jim

The only people who get "screwed" by the systems are those that don't understand how to use it or simply don't see the value in it (their choice).

I'm all for the systems. Never had a problem with them, never gotten "screwed" by FastPass, and the upcharge ones have always been a great value for money.

Theme Park Review strongly supports these systems!

--Robb

Couldn't agree more with Robb here. Everybody has the chance and the opportunity to use these systems whether it's getting to the park early to get a Fastpass, paying the $$ to get a Flashpass or staying at an onsite hotel to get a front of the line pass, etc.

I've used these types of passes at all parks that offer them (Disney, Universal, Six Flags) and I have never regretted paying the extra $$ or spending the extra time to use them.

As far as "no lines" at Knott's, have you ever seen the line for the Log Ride during the summer?

As far as "no lines" at Knott's, have you ever seen the line for the Log Ride during the summer?

This is actually a good point. Many people on this forum forget that your average guest is interested in more than just the roller coasters when they do a family day at a park.

If you're a local to the park, then you probably know the best days to go and avoid crowds, and you have your personal list of favorite rides that you repeat ride every time you visit.

You're not the customer that park virtual queue systems are targeting.

But to those average guests who come in, not knowing the park like the back of their hand, and are interested in many rides other than just roller coasters, these systems are a lifesaver, and when you can potentially wipe out HOURS of waiting in line, it's well worth it.

Case in point - during our PortAventura visit in 2007 we had the front of the line passes for everyone in our group. Most of the coasters, for whatever reason, ended up being a walk-on...BUT the water rides were INSANE! We ended up using the front of the line passes on the water rides, the simulator, and a bunch of stuff we might not have bothered with if we had to wait in lines.

Once again... WORTH! EVERY! PENNY!!!!

This is exciting news that Knott's is trying this out on a larger level. This past summer while visiting the park, they were doing something similar where for $20.00 you got 4 front of the line passes to use on major rides of your choice. Clearly this must have worked out somewhat well if they are selling a larger package for all the attractions. Fingers crossed this concept starts to get picked up by other Cedar Fair parks.