TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Knott's Berry Farm (KBF) Discussion Thread

P. 651: Montezooma's Revenge project terminated?

in my opinion knotts is the eternal underdog of so cal parks.

Knott's will always have one advantage over other parks in SoCal, it's close to Disneyland. If I'm not mistaken it has better attendance than SFMM too. Cedar Fair didn't pay all that money for Knott's for nothing.

As far as the ride goes, amongst the peoples most common fear is the fear of heights. Spinning around 300 feet in the air on a stick sounds pretty thrilling to me.

Absolutelt amazing! How can these two people be in 4 different parks at the same time?

Knott's

windseeker_1.jpg

Canada's Wonderland

King's Island

thumb__cpws__2011_cap3.jpg

Cedar Point

...LOL!

^Forget that!

How did the entire cast and crew travel forward in time to get pictures of 4 different rides in 4 different places that don't currently exist in 2010. Perhaps we can get one of those time traveling riders to tell us how the ride is? Better yet, perhaps they can leapfrog a bit further in time and tell us if the rumored Hyper Knott's is going to build actually gets erected for the 2012 season.

Guy "Tell us o future people. Let us know your secrets." Koepp

^Or better yet they can tell me if, in my old age, I will still be able to get erect in the 2012 season.

Caesar "I will be 40 next year" DeHaro

Dude, no. TMI

I think this is an awesome choice for Knott's. Replacing the old and busted ride, for one that's newer, and kinda does the same thing but better, is a good choice. I'm definitely looking forward to riding this.

"Instead of this going to Knott's it would of been awesome if it went to CGA instead." (Lady Gaga)

Keep in mind that CGA is very close to the San Jose Airport. Their two current towers are about 200 feet tall, but something like this would probably be too tall to be that close to a major airport.

Also---and this is my speculation---CGA seems to be getting the shaft when it comes to major expenditures. The GCII coaster that was supposed to go in a couple of years ago, then next year, now isn't going in till at least 2012. That makes me wonder about the future of the park.

Eric

"Instead of this going to Knott's it would of been awesome if it went to CGA instead." (Lady Gaga)

Keep in mind that CGA is very close to the San Jose Airport. Their two current towers are about 200 feet tall, but something like this would probably be too tall to be that close to a major airport.

Also---and this is my speculation---CGA seems to be getting the shaft when it comes to major expenditures. The GCII coaster that was supposed to go in a couple of years ago, then next year, now isn't going in till at least 2012. That makes me wonder about the future of the park.

Eric

Skycabin probably won't be too terribly missed (But by those who have younger kids it will - aka KidTums) - it was really neutered after the Parachute Skyjump was removed. The ride might still be there - but the soul is long gone!

In terms of height - Eric is right on. 224 feet tall is the absolute max anything can go into CGA being that close to the glide path of SJC.

I know it's *just* concept video - but throw my hat in with Elissa...this really doesn't stand out to me as a "barn burner" attraction. Especially with a 48" height requirement!

Although, at just $5 million apiece, it's a great bargain to put a landmark, "skyline changer" into most of your parks.

Maybe KBF can donate all those old dilapidated Parachute Skyjump parts to CGA and have them convert their Star Tower...

methinks that Xcelerator is gonna finally get repainted in this time. We can only hope so...

Repainting of Xcelerator has been in progress for a few weeks already. You can find pics from the last few weeks at Westcoaster and Screamscape.

I knew that, actually. But if Xcelerator has to be closed down cause of construction for this, I have the feeling that they're going to pick up the pace on the painting. Cause right now, it's basically just a little bit of a support painted each night or something. At this rate, it'd take forever!

This ride reminds me of a couple things: 1 would be an Intamin Flight Trainer ride much like what Knotts had and CGA had. Secondly, when the swings are up at the top, the arm structure looks somewhat reminiscent of the old Parachute ride as it had the arms that stuck out and the circular catwalk. Just no falling parachutes.

Facebook fans brought up a somewhat valid point about this ride, members of the GP: what will happen if someone loses a shoe/cell phone/camera/whatever from 300 feet up? You already know people will bypass the loose article rule. But again, drop towers are prone to the same incident of losing articles. Now, if someone yaks from that height due to the spinning nature...I guess it will be raining vomit!

Regardless, I'd like to try one of these out. Looks relaxing yet thrilling at the same time, kind of like that one spinning ride on the Stratosphere tower that hangs you over the edge of the tower and swings outward as it spins.

Facebook fans brought up a somewhat valid point about this ride, members of the GP: what will happen if someone loses a shoe/cell phone/camera/whatever from 300 feet up? You already know people will bypass the loose article rule. But again, drop towers are prone to the same incident of losing articles. Now, if someone yaks from that height due to the spinning nature...I guess it will be raining vomit!

Well, you have to keep in mind that there are a LOT of Star Flyer installations out there, and with this ride being pretty close in nature, there has never been an incident serious enough on a Star Flyer that it was ever reported.

I rode my first Star Flyer in 2005 so that's already quite a few years of active service and at least 20-25 installations without an issue.

--Robb

I wonder how well those arms are going to hold up over time. Seems like they are going to be prone to stress fractures.

From the photo it looks like the arms are going to be connected to the gondola with pivots, which can swing freely as the speed of the gondola spins faster. I don't think its a mechanically guided arm that controls where the arms move. With that in mind, I think this will keep stress fractures to a minimum.

Exactly how (after watching the video) does this create airtime and weightlessness???

I think the pivots allowing the swings to move freely outward and closer to the tower will do the job, quite nicely, almost like an original swings ride.

41011_421239495875_10286130875_5430640_1424560_n.jpg

I think it would be funny and awesome if SF/SFMM snatched up that 400 footer Funtime says it was working on for CP, to one up Knotts

I too was wondering how the ride was going to create airtime/weightlessness, I've never been on a Starflyer but I've never read about anyone saying they felt airtime or weightless on one either. I can't wait to Ride this Windseeker to see what trick it has up it's sleeve to produce airtime

methinks that Xcelerator is gonna finally get repainted in this time. We can only hope so...

Repainting of Xcelerator has been in progress for a few weeks already. You can find pics from the last few weeks at Westcoaster and Screamscape.

More like a few months. But, eventually it'll be finished

Even if the world was ending in 2012 we should all have a chance to ride what coasters open that year since most parks open new rides in the spring and summer not Winter it's suppose to be D-day December 21, 2012

Which ever parks opens the Intamin in 2012 Knotts or SFMM I plan to be riding it on that day, heck If I go I want to go doing what I love