TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Knott's Berry Farm (KBF) Discussion Thread

P. 651: Montezooma's Revenge project terminated?

I was wondering for Knotts, if I wanted to work there next summer, what could the choices be for me to start out with? How long would I have to work there to advance to ride operations?

To be a ride operator you need to be one of the following...

1. Adult.

2. High school graduate.

There are some departments that employ minors, such as Park Services.

If that's the case, why don't they just tell us that, instead of a lye?

Without my glasses, I cant see crap. I have been on the tallest, and fastest coasters in the world with my glasses and strap, but I can't wear my glasses on pony express or xlerator?

The only other park that I had a problem with this, was at martins fantasyland. You can not wear your glasses on the mouse coaster or silver streak with or without a strap.

I don't get it.

Don't quote me on any of that, my memory is a little fuzzy from that day. But I'm almost positive they said the glasses policy at least for Pony Express is due to the owner's manual, and California makes them follow it to the "T." As for Xcelerator, I have no idea.

I was wondering for Knotts, if I wanted to work there next summer, what could the choices be for me to start out with? How long would I have to work there to advance to ride operations?

To be a ride operator you need to be one of the following...

1. Adult.

2. High school graduate.

There are some departments that employ minors, such as Park Services.

And, you have to be able to spot people with sunglasses tucked in their shirt, so you can stop the ride and make them look like stupid.

Oh, one more thing, my son rode his first roller coaster today at Camp Snoopy. He likes to go fast, he's only 2 and I'm already afraid of what's going to happen when he gets a car. He keeps pointing at Supreme Scream and saying "ride that", guess he'll be on TPR trips in a few years too.

Hmmm, that may be the case about the glasses...yet one would think that if a luanch coaster at Knotts, even as slow as Pony Express, and one at Disney (California Screamin') would have similar restrictions about loose articals? It was all very odd if you ask me, and just like the other poster, I've been on rides like TTD and perfectly fine as long as you have a strap.

The only other park that I had a problem with this, was at martins fantasyland. You can not wear your glasses on the mouse coaster or silver streak with or without a strap.

Not to change the subject but when was this? I went to Martin's in May and rode Silver Comet a few times and they didn't make me remove my glasses.

Xcelerator's glasses policy.

(Coming from my training in 2006)

Xcelerator was a prototype. Being the first of it's kind, no one was exactly sure of the ride experience it would give. As a precaution, the engineers fro mIntamin reccommended that eyewear not be worn. So that was etched into the service manual and from that it was added to the ride's SOP. Since then no change has been made to the ride's SOP since it was written in 2002. So even though other rocket coasters allow eyewear, Xcelerator does not.

With the glasses straps issue, I was sent this response from Martins.

"David,

You can wear glasses with straps on. You cannot wear glasses without straps. I am surprised you were misinformed. I am glad you enjoyed our park and hope you can visit us again."

This is totaly different than what I was told on the ride platforms. The workers told me I couldn't wear them, and there was a sign on silverstreak that said so as well.

I am still waiting to hear back from knotts berry farm about the issue.

1515822738_102_6823(Medium).jpg.85694b6ad2499398524873d4834e1806.jpg

One of the signes stating that you can't wear glasses.

I got an email from knotts today about the glasses strap policy.....

Hi Dave,

I am sorry that having to remove your glasses to ride was an inconvenience.

Here in California , we are mandated to strictly follow the ride manufacturer’s requirements by state laws. The State of California mandates that if the manufacturer uses the words “should” or “recommends” in their manuals, then we need to define it as a “must”. This means that if it is listed in the manufacturer’s operating manual as a requirement to ride, we must enforce it. Unless it is changed by the manufacturer we cannot change the rider requirements. If we do not follow the requirements, the State of California can shut the ride down or place fines on the Park.

Magic Mountain , Disney and Great America all need to follow the same California state laws and may have requirements listed in their manufacturer manuals that allow glasses to be worn. It is each individual ride manufacturer that dictates the requirements and each Park, at least in California , to strictly enforce those requirements.

You are correct that Xcelerator and Top Thrill Dragster are made by the same manufacturer. In the manufacturer’s manual we received for our version it stated that eyewear, even with a strap, is not allowed. In the Top Thrill Dragster manual it states that eyewear can be worn with a strap. We have been asking the manufacturer to change our requirement, however, our requests have been denied.

California has the strictest laws when it comes to amusement rides in the country. So, in the Pony Express manufacturer’s manual it is recommended that glasses not be worn, we have to enforce it as a must not be worn.

I agree with you that sometimes having the lack of vision can take away from the ride, especially since I too wear glasses to see and I am also required to remove my glasses to ride, even when we are not operating to the public.

Again, I apologize for the inconvenience.

Sincerely,

Joey Toyoshiba

Amazing how that works: they take all the manufacturers suggested guidelines as a must, but at the same time couldn't be sure if the cable inspection was supposed to be performed monthly or every 6 months...

I just find it fascinating that both KBF and the state will err on the side of caution over something like glasses, but failed to use the same discretion when looking over the maintenance guidelines...

I just find it fascinating that both KBF and the state will err on the side of caution over something like glasses, but failed to use the same discretion when looking over the maintenance guidelines...

That's the first thing I thought of too lol.

So I have one free day this weekend (Saturday) to do either SFMM or Knott's...which one do you think will be less crowded? I'll be heading over to one of the parks around 11am, after I tour the Disney Studios in Burbank.

Thanks for any input, and for those of you who read the SFMM thread, yes I posted in there too, so I apologize for the double post- I just figured I could get more replies by posting in both.

But to contribute to the thread, I do think the glasses policy is weird...but then again, it is true that California has the strictest safety restrictions...I wear contact lenses, but it's good to know that I'll be riding Xcelerator with blurred vision if I ever come to the park with glasses on haha

Just went onto the Knott's website to look for something and saw the following Note:

An Important Message From the Park:

Knott's Berry Farm will be CLOSED for a private event on Saturday September 4th. Knott's Soak City will be open from 10am to 7pm.

Wow, closing the park down on a HOLIDAY weekend Saturday must have cost somebody a pretty-penny.