TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Knott's Berry Farm (KBF) Discussion Thread

P. 651: Montezooma's Revenge project terminated?

Yeah , the days of "charm" at Knott's are a distant memory, they're pretty much gone. It's a full-fledged Cedar Fair park now, and at this point I don't expect that to ever change. It's sad yes, but at the same time, the park does have to stay competitive with very little space. So I still expect a large coaster in the next year or two.

I was already aware of this because as soon as Silver Bullet came, the park went downhill. I think the park would have done well without it. From it's openning, to now, I have never seen much of a wait, besides on weekends/ Haunt days. It's ashame to see the park just cram attractions in, but John, you're right. The park is in dire need of revenue/ attandance, and the park can't just rely on the revenue created by haunt.

Looking forward to getting the boy on Xcelerator, Silver Bullet, Sidewinder and Pony Express. Oh, and I guess he also needs the Boomerang credit. Ugh ...

Has he done Supreme Scream, I would hit Xcelerator as early as possible, during the week the line hasn't been too bad, but still it's the end of summer and single train operation sucks.

I grew up a stone's throw from KBF when growing up. So in the 80's and early 90's we often went there, especially for free military family admission days. Growing up, I loved the western theming at Knotts better than a trip to Disneyland (which I was also spoiled with many many trips to). Also at the time, Corkscrew, Monte and even the really crappy Windjammer were bigger than life coasters to me. (Pre SFMM trips). Soapbox racers were a blast and the parachute drop was my first big introduction to drop rides that still scare me today. The last time I had been to Knotts was 1996 as a senior in High School and much of what I loved about Knotts was still there. Like the Haunted House, Steamboat, Kingdom of the Dinosaurs.

I was out of the country and out of California for most of the rest of the 90's and into the 2000's and when I was back on vacation visits I would go to Disneyland or SFMM as I felt I had 'grown out of' Knotts. So my next visit was after a 13 year absence, I went in November 2009 to take my 7 year old to the park I remembered with such fondness. I have to say I was really shocked and a bit sad that her memories would not match mine. I think most of the charm that made Knotts so unique is gone.

But the bones of that park are still there, and I hope they never get rid of the Log Ride, though the Mine Ride I can't say I'd miss. The stunt show is still there, and its just as corny and fun as it always has been too. I appreciate the need to remain competitive and other than 'Pointless Express' as my brother calls it, I really enjoy their new rides. Camp Snoopy is still cute for the younger crowd and I'm surprised how much of the stuff I remember is still intact there too. I think Cedar Fair has done an okay job keeping Knotts alive, but its a stripped down version of what most of us remember. I'm always surprised though when I mention the park to friends who don't live in Southern California, nobody's ever heard of it or even have a clue its just miles from Disneyland.

I know as the times change, so do the ideas, experiences, and overall attitudes of a park. I just don't want Knott's to be overrun with expansions and such. Something big coming? I don't see how it would work. It would bring me to the park more, but I don't see their being a big overall effect, besides a spike in Haunt visits I think. I do Support Cedar Fair's actions to keep the park filled with guest, I just don't want to see them take out the last jewel in the park. . .

Looking forward to getting the boy on Xcelerator, Silver Bullet, Sidewinder and Pony Express. Oh, and I guess he also needs the Boomerang credit. Ugh ...

Has he done Supreme Scream, I would hit Xcelerator as early as possible, during the week the line hasn't been too bad, but still it's the end of summer and single train operation sucks.

I second that, Xcelerator is nearly walk-on before Noon, but after that it gets long!

^Its amazing how empty the boardwalk area is in the moring. I guess everyone goes to Ghostrider and Bullet first, then takes a while to get back there.

Knotts is a weird park. To me it seems good on paper and at a glance just from the collection of rides and attractions there. But whenever I'm there, I seem to get bored really fast. Though I have a pass, I can't remeber the last time I spent more than 6 hours there on any given day. For me the only rides there that I would ride more than once is Xcelerator, Bullet, Supreme Scream, and the Log Ride. I also don't care of any of the shows there except for the Stunt Show. And also there is no food places there that I really like, unlike other parks which usually have 2 or 3 places which I actually look forward to when visiting the park.

It is a shame that Cedar Fair is somewhat destroying the classic parts of the park to assimilate it into the Cedar Fair mold. But they have to stay competative. Because I think most kids these days prefer rides and thrills over panning for gold and learning about the history of California.

Hasn't done supreme scream, he was barely 48" last time we were at Knott's so he's only done Jaguar, Monte and Ghostrider (thankfully we don't have to ride that). He's not a big fan of the drop towers, so my guess is we probably won't do SS.

My plan is to hit up Silver Bullet first (since that crew sucks) then over to Xcelerator, Boomerang, Pony Express, Sidewinder (as far as credits are concerned). I'm sure we will try and get multiple rides on Silver Bullet and Xcelerator throughout the day, but I'll keep in mind to try and get a couple of re-rides on Xcelerator before noon.

I am hoping to be back across in California next summer and if I do I will get to go to one park (my wife doesn't do coasters). I loved KBF when I went last year but unless it had a new coaster I am more likely to return to SFMM particularly if they have tarted up S:TE.

But hey that's just my opinion.

They have most of the pieces of that car sitting on the side of the brake run still. I visited the park tuesday and took advantage of the empty boardwalk during the first hour. I rode Xcelerator and Supreme Scream 6 times each with out leaving my seat. Surprisingly SilverBullet had a 2 minute wait the entire day. Revolution and Big Foot were both closed for the majority of the day, and a good amount of the mazes are starting to pop up now, around Xcelerator, Silver Bullet, bumper cars, and behind the Mystery Lodge. Hopefully I can finally make a first visit to the Scary Farm this year. Overall, great day with many re-rides on a summer week-day.

Sorry if this has been mentioned before, just at work and can't really search the entire thread, but I did have a question.

I was there on July 4th for the first time, loved the park, but they had a no glasses policy on Xcellarator and aparantly on Pony Express and I was just curious as to why? Other Cedar Fair parks I've been to, Canadas Wonderland, Cedar Point, all allow glasses as long as you have a strap on them (which I did at Knotts), but for whatever reason, Knotts just wouldn't allow them.

It sucked because we had not planned on going that day as it was our first day of the trip and the 4th of July, wanted to avoid crowds, so I had to buy a strap for that sole purpose only to find out I couldn't even benifit from it on those two rides. Silver Bullet, Sierra Sidewinder, Ghostrider, no problem, but their launch coasters they just wouldn't allow it.

Any thoughts on the issue?

I agree with some of you guys when u say you get bored in the park.

Usually i only do Ghost rider one or two times, then spend my day on Xcelerator, Supreme Scream, Log Flume, and Silver Bullet.

It's not a bad park, cause i come again each year or so, but it's not Magic Mountain.

I was wondering for Knotts, if I wanted to work there next summer, what could the choices be for me to start out with? How long would I have to work there to advance to ride operations?

It's been a B^%ch to get a job over there, for me at least. Still have not had sucsess. From knowing friends that work there, it all depends what you're first hired as. Both of my friends were hired as ushers 2 years ago, and they still hold that position.

...they said the glasses policy on Pony Express comes from the manufacturer.

That is rather odd because I've had no glasses issues with Motocoaster at Darien Lake. I would think if it came from the manufacturer that it would also apply to that ride. Is there anything different about Pony Express where it would warrant that restriction?

Edited by Geauga Dog

If that's the case, why don't they just tell us that, instead of a lye?

Without my glasses, I cant see crap. I have been on the tallest, and fastest coasters in the world with my glasses and strap, but I can't wear my glasses on pony express or xlerator?

The only other park that I had a problem with this, was at martins fantasyland. You can not wear your glasses on the mouse coaster or silver streak with or without a strap.

I don't get it.