TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Knott's Berry Farm (KBF) Discussion Thread

P. 651: Montezooma's Revenge project terminated?

I haven't been to Knott's in awhile so I haven't been able to remember the price listed for the "after 4pm" tickets. Also I'm planning to go soon but in the afternoon and on so I didn't want a full price discounted ticket unless of course it's cheaper than the 4pm one, which I highly doubt.

Good news!: There's tons of progress on getting the red train rebuilt. There are a lot of chassis and wheel assemblies lying around right next to Xcelerator. I have no idea when they'll get the other train rebuilt, but I'm betting they'll get it done before haunt.

Bad news: Knott's is NOT very fun at all when it's crowded.

Good news: Silver Bullet was actually really forceful today...okay, not Batman forceful, but definitely more than the forceless ride that it gets all the negativity for.

TPR related news: I saw Dan taking pictures of crap (cause I'm a stalker and everything...), and met 2 TPR members in Line for Supreme Scream!

I wouldn't doubt it...but I saw him take a picture of the Rock Band Live sign

Edit: Also, Ghostrider is still awesome and not deadly. IDK what the hell Knott's did, but it's actually bearable as long as you sit in the front seat of a car. Oh, and Xcelerator was up and running all day I believe, which I've never seen it do.

I hoped a ride on Ghost Rider today and found it running a bit better than my last ride back in May. Meaning it didn't beat me senseless.

^^^ I was one of the two you met in line for Supreme Scream. It was nice to meet ya.

Edited by SuperShawn

So, I have been looking at all available pictures of the ground markers that are online trying to decipher what it may mean for Knott's come 2011 - 2012.

First of all, I find it really odd that there is even markers out in the parking lot of the Radisson (as evidenced on Westcoaster). As we all know, Knott's put the shed over GhostRider's drop due to the neighbors to the south side of the adjacent street complaining of excessive noise. That said, any coaster that is built out into that area would most likely suffer the same criticism. But, on a whole different plane, it also means that whatever this project is, it is going to be a widespread project.

Keep in mind that this is all speculation on my part, but I'm thinking that, if it is indeed a coaster, it will be manufactured by Intamin. Now, as for type, I am actually hoping for a Mega-Lite (based on video and reviews of Piraten) but I have this sneaking suspicion that Knott's could possibly either go for a Giga (with a steep lift hill I believe it can be done) or possibly even some sort of Maverick-style coaster (Maverick was, after all, a pretty big hit). I also wouldn't mind seeing a B&M hyper coaster in the vein of Raging Bull go to Knott's, but I think that's the underdog right now. But, as I mentioned, anything that goes into the parking lot area or even toward the southern border of the park will have to contend with the neighborhood to the south, and we all know they're not a fan of the noises created by thrill rides.

Anyway, just some thoughts that I had while looking at the markers.

Sincerely,

Ron

Ive got a gut feeling for a B&M hyper. I have said the same thing the last five years. But I have a strong feeling for 2011. Of course I did say the same thing each of the last 5 years. But anyway for a major coaster comming to Knotts a B&M hyper seems the most likely because that has been the trend of rides Cedar Fair has added to its parks in recent years. And also the nearest one to California is Raging Bull, so it would be nice to have one on this side of the rockies. And jugding by the location of the markers (if they are for a new coaster). I see this one becoming another Silver Bullet style coaster where it will dominate the midways.

^ BTW I did not know the roof on Ghostrider's drop was to block out sound. I have always thought it was for decoration and for some sort of headchopper effect on the first drop.

Just in case anyone cares, Knott's was packed today. I parked the farthest away i have ever parked, and lines were so long that I only rode the mine train. I never go on a saturday, but my daughters birthday is tomorrow, and I gotta take her for a play date at Sea World monday (and Belmont), so pretty much i promised her and this was the only available day. Lucky for me she doesn't like to wait in line, so a couple rides in camp snoopy and that was it.

The one thing I do like when Knott's is busy, is that all the concessions are open. I really hate in the off season when half the stuff is closed and then the ones that are open have like one person trying to handle all the orders.

The issue is they are still operating one train on certin rides the last saturday I went. I have never seen Silver Bullet have a line that long, and Ghost rider was out past the main entrance. Last summer was not even crowded the days I went, so this is all new. I'm glad Knott's is getting more attendance, but I dislike the use of only one train on busy days as well.

^

You know, As soon as I bought my season pass in August last year, I have noticed that more people have been buying them as well. I'm still glad that Knott's is getting a steady attendance agian. Those Promotions in April I guess helped. Not to mention the price for a season pass is frankly low.

I'm going sometime soon before my pass expires agian.

^

I'm more with you.

Where the hell would you put any of these coaster ideas? The park is basically land locked, so just plomping down another big coaster is not going to, in the end, bring much attention I think.

Half the revenue that comes to Knott's is Halloween Haunt alone, so why not add more to the season that brings in the money to the park?

The park is fine coaster wise I think. The only way I see Cedar fair adding a new ride is if they tear down and old one.

^ Yeah, people said the same thing right before Silver Bullet went in. It's been said before, when Knotts decides to add a "thrill" coaster (their last one was "several" years ago), they'll always find a way to put one in. With the large projects going into Univeral, Disney and SFMM in the next two years, you can bet Knotts will stay competitive as well.

^

I know

But what I don't like is the park is loosing it's historic charm, fast. Before the take over of Cedar Fair in the late 90's, the park had this wonderous charm to it I believe. It wasn't big, and it was well rounded with rides. Now the park is crammed in.

Don't get me wrong though, I appreciate the calibur of rides Cedar Fair has put in, as it unites coasters fantaics with a closer drive to recieve thrills. My only concern is the eventually take over of what this park was to represent.

This makes me think back when Disney was denied an offer to buy the property. Heck, if you looked at the plans with what Disney were to do, It would still have that charm, minus the obscure coaster skyline.

Yeah , the days of "charm" at Knott's are a distant memory, they're pretty much gone. It's a full-fledged Cedar Fair park now, and at this point I don't expect that to ever change. It's sad yes, but at the same time, the park does have to stay competitive with very little space. So I still expect a large coaster in the next year or two.

Yeah , the days of "charm" at Knott's are a distant memory, they're pretty much gone. It's a full-fledged Cedar Fair park now, and at this point I don't expect that to ever change. It's sad yes, but at the same time, the park does have to stay competitive with very little space. So I still expect a large coaster in the next year or two.

That really sucks John. But that is what you will get with Cedar Fair.

I was glad to see them refurbish the peek-in's and that catawampas is still there. At this point i think if they keep the Ghost Town portion and and what historic buildings are left, I think I will be happy with the whole nostalgia part of Knott's. Really It sucks when the new generation of trill seekers comes to Knott's and say it sucks because they want more coasters and don't even notice the cool stuff that's still there.

I also agree that with Disney and Universal adding new attractions and even Six Flags tinkering with Superman, Knott's has to add something new to keep its share of the crowds. And, it has to be a ride, or maybe rides, I could see a coaster or some flat rides might be a quick fix.

Going to Knott's on Thursday for my first "Non-Haunt" visit to the park since 2006. And if it wasn't for the fact that I have some comp tickets I probably wouldn't be going.

This from somebody who used to go to Knott's at least 4-5 times per year.

Looking forward to getting the boy on Xcelerator, Silver Bullet, Sidewinder and Pony Express. Oh, and I guess he also needs the Boomerang credit. Ugh ...

I think Knott's has a satisfactory ride collection, and I don't mind how the coasters affect the 'look' of the park. However, I agree that the park is pretty lacking in charm (although it's not as bad as I had feared it would be). It seemed very Cedar Fair to me, for sure. It's not among my favorites, and not coincidentally neither is CGA.