TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Knott's Berry Farm (KBF) Discussion Thread

P. 651: Montezooma's Revenge project terminated?

Don't remember the Silver Bullet crew doing anything obnoxious while I was there during WCB, but 1. I was exhausted and delirious, and 2. it may have just been a good day for them.

Honestly, if you go to SFOG, you won't leave a single station without having been annoyed to the point of suicide while waiting. I can't even begin to imagine another park that's worse than how they are on the microphone. Not to mention the time they waste asking riders if they're ready to ride when the train is ready to dispatch.

I can't even begin to imagine another park that's worse than how they are on the microphone. Not to mention the time they waste asking riders if they're ready to ride when the train is ready to dispatch.

I've never really found a Knott's crew to be like that, or the video, or anything close to either. If they have I guess I've just blocked it out, which is a probably what a lot of other guests do.

I know there wasn't any Silver Bullet trouble at WCB, and before that on my next most recent visit to KBF in January the Silver Bullet crew was having fun, but not to the point where it was annoying, and still keeping up good operations...just like how I remember Cedar Point being.

I know there wasn't any Silver Bullet trouble at WCB, and before that on my next most recent visit to KBF in January the Silver Bullet crew was having fun, but not to the point where it was annoying, and still keeping up good operations...just like how I remember Cedar Point being.

The SB crew at least during ERT was awesome. But I have been there when they've been terrible. In fact, while we were there during the West Coast Trip last August the Silver Bullet comedians were in full force.

I'm glad to hear other people also think it's annoying because I thought it was just me.

--Robb

I've found that the mic people are actually funny when there isn't really a wait, but get very annoying after two or three cycles with one train running. The only time I've been annoyed by them was when they were talking about personal details over the mic, such as what they did last night (early morning on Silver Bullet, of course). Usually I don't pay much attention to them unless I'm the only one there and they actually talk to me. As long as they don't hinder operations and are not being inappropriate I'm not bothered by them.

And yes, the Silver Bullet crew was awesome during ERT at WCB.

^^Thats the problem, everyone has used the X spelling anywhere they can referring to xcelerator so much its driving people insane. But good question, was it open this weekend.

It's no worse than people calling rides ridiculous nicknames like Timmy, Termy, Maggie, Millie, etc., yet nobody gets an atomic wedgie from their panties being in a wad over that.

Alrighty, perfect timing for this thread.

Xcelerator was NOT open today.. I got to the 'Independence Hall' parking lot at 8:30 AM for the Mustang show, and glanced over at it at least 50 times throughout the day... nothing!

I managed to leave my car for an hour to catch 2 rides on Silver Bullet, and one on Ghostrider.

On SB's lift, I could clearly see the blue/turquoise Xcelerator train parked outside of the station.

In response to the SB crews.. today, someone was 'beatboxing', then later on, two other employees were talking about something not related to the park or the ride. I did hear one girl talk about the ride.. the length, number of drops, speed, etc.. That was cool. Otherwise.. grabbed a box of Knott's cookies and headed back to the Ford show.

And since we are in a Knott's thread, lets add Monty. Montezumas revenge use to be a proud coaster, back when it came out people were afraid to ride it, now its just monty.

Well, I call it Monte as a sign of respect, or a term of endearment at the least. I agree that "Montezooma's Revenge" would make it sound intimidating and impressive to some people, but still.

Incidentally my other main pet name is "Revo" for Revolution. Other people seem to say/spell "Monty" and "Revy", but I've chosen what works for me.

In case it isn't obvious, I have no problem with coaster nicknames, except that "Timmy" happens to annoy me.

^No offense, but that is EXACTLY why I hate Cedar Fair ride operators having those wireless mics.

After reading several pages of responses to the video let me please apologize to the many of you who were annoyed by our attempts at "entertainment" while visiting Silver Bullet during our single train operations.

The shark song is something we've done only a few times in the past month and it seemed as though the guest in line got a kick out of it. When this "performance" was recorded it was the second time we had done the shark song that day, except that time it was at guest request. It is not our goal to annoy any guest while we are at the mic, but we feel that on days such as this one where we are running one train and have the same guest visiting the ride 10 to 30 times in one day, it is nice for them to get a break from the standard ride spiels. This is not something we do every cycle (I think the shark song has had maybe 6 performances since it's debut) but we were under the impression that it was better than 2 minutes of silence. The standard spiels for Silver Bullet only take a couple of seconds to do (Loose articles, pre-dispatch, returning train, ect...) so between spiels we were trying (apparently failing miserably) to brighten our guest day in between cycles. From the reaction in this thread it appears we desperately need to work on our act, or just throw in the towel on the whole entertainment thing.

The guest in the video that was singled out (by me) was at his own request. The big group that included both the guy who filmed the video and the Twilight actor look-a-like were demanding our attention every time they visited Silver Bullet. I would never want to put spotlight on anyone that wasn't demanding it.

Once again I apologize if we (or I) have ruined anyone's experience on the Silver Bullet and I will mention to the rest of the crew (Next time I am at Silver Bullet) that we are doing it all wrong and need to change this immediately! None of us at Silver Bullet want to annoy any one so I'm sure the rest of the crew will cooperate with your request. I hope your next visit to Knott's is a pleasant one, and if you see me at Silver Bullet, Supreme Scream, Pony Express, or Xcelerator please introduce yourself so I can apologize to you in person.

- Cody

P.S. just be glad you didn't have to witness this version during some down-time.

Once again I apologize if we (or I) have ruined anyone's experience on the Silver Bullet and I will mention to the rest of the crew (Next time I am at Silver Bullet) that we are doing it all wrong and need to change this immediately!

No worries dude. Thanks for listening and taking the feedback. At the end of the day we make up a small group of people who will visit the ride, but it's still good feedback. If the guests seem to be enjoying the antics, that's fine.

Like I said with the WCB Bullet Crew, they were being "funny" but not overbearing. I liked this. Was a really fun, energentic crew that night and no one was being over the top. It's one thing to entertain the guests while they wait, it's another to put on a show.

--Robb

http://ocresort.freedomblogging.com/2010/04/26/state-blames-knotts-manufacturer-for-xcelerator-failure/42383/

State inspectors say Knott’s Berry Farm could have avoided an accident on the Xcelerator that injured two people last year with more diligent inspections of the ride. At the same time, they say the ride’s manufacturer, Intamin, is equally culpable because the company’s instructions are unclear about whether the ride’s launching cables should be inspected every month, or every six months.

In 2007, Knott’s maintenance division asked Intamin to clarify the inspection schedule, but the company never responded, Cal-OSHA spokesman Dean Fryer said.

Knott’s was nearly three weeks overdue for a six-month inspection when the cable in question snapped on Sept. 16. The train had just left the loading platform when the cable broke, cutting a 12-year-old boy’s leg. Another man complained of back pain. No one else was hurt in the accident. “If they were on time with that six-month testing, they may have caught that break in the cable” that caused the rupture, Fryer said. “The cable broke from normal wear.”

Knott’s spokeswoman Michele Wischmeyer said the park has “worked with the state to rectify any statements and concerns they found. … I am aware of the state report, and I am aware that those two shortcomings are in the report.”

Park officials are expected to make a statement about the state’s findings later on Tuesday. State inspectors finished their evaluation of the Xcelerator on Tuesday, meaning Knott’s Berry Farm can restart the attraction at any time.

“We do plan on opening (Tuesday),” Wischmeyer said mid-afternoon, “but we haven’t set a time yet.”

I think they are implying that it might be necessary for the cable be inspected more often and if so, then they may have caught it sooner. Still im wondering how the cable could have been old when the ride was down for quite a long time right before this happened.

"...the company’s instructions are unclear about whether the ride’s launching cables should be inspected every month, or every six months."

While it is up to Knott's to inspect/replace the cables on this ride, it would be interesting to see how Intamin worded the maintenance procedure to cause such confusion.

All in all, I'm glad that it looks like Xcelerator will be back up and running.

Eric