TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Knott's Berry Farm (KBF) Discussion Thread

P. 651: Montezooma's Revenge project terminated?

^Cargo pockets have never done me wrong. The only time I've ever lost anything was at Dollywood when the little loose article bag I was handed at Mystery Mine had a hole in it and I didn't notice it. My keys fell out of the bag and were left in the cubby hole, and I didn't know my keys were missing till I got all the way out to my car. After freaking out for the entire tram ride back to the front gate, I went to Lost and Found and thankfully they had my keys there.

So go figure, the only time I lose something at a park is when I DON'T take it on the ride.

Just another quick update on Xcelerator. Today marked the return of purple train, and it is looking great. Not completely put back together however, but those trains still look good even without its cosmetic features. It is sitting on the transfer track, with red train still on the brake run. Also, lots of activity going on recently. Which is good news since the area hasn't seen too many people these past months. One can only hope that sooner rather than later, this beast finally gets back up and running.

What is the update on the brake fins? I would assume that they have been lowered "into" the track, but perhaps you can still see them? Have the bent and damaged ones been removed and replaced, or are they still there?

Thank for posting the status of the trains though. I sure hope she gets up and running soon.

What is the update on the brake fins? I would assume that they have been lowered "into" the track, but perhaps you can still see them? Have the bent and damaged ones been removed and replaced, or are they still there?

Thank for posting the status of the trains though. I sure hope she gets up and running soon.

The brake fins have always been up, and all that were damaged have been removed. Nothing new to say except for the return of the purple train that has been sitting in pieces on the ground below.

• 2 weeks later...

I dunno if anyone knows this or not but if CF or who ever is running the park ( Apollo Management ) wanted to make the park bigger they can make the back parking lot ( next to the western gate ) into part of the park, make the backstage area smalled ( use the south gate for deliveries its goes right to the ware house ) and make the park longer in the back. Could fit a few coasters or at least some nice scenery.

Mini Knott's TR

A friend and I decided to take advantage of the $59.99 annual pass deal, so we bought our tickets online and headed down there last Wednesday (12/30/09) to activate our passes and perhaps catch Elf Mountain and Snoopy on Ice. It was raining all morning and still raining when we arrived around noon. The line to process the passes was ginormous so they started pulling people out, asking them if they wanted to come back another day to take their picture and then simply walking them in the park. I thought this was pretty nice. They also had entertainment, in the form of characters, walking through the line.

I was continually shocked that all of the coasters remained open, despite some pretty heavy mist to rain. I understand Knott's has a reputation for closing things in the slightest hint of inclement weather. It was raining hard enough that most people had umbrellas out and we could still see everything running. I commented on this to the young man that helped us get in the park and he said he too was surprised that everything remained open.

We ate lunch at the Ghost Town Grille. In all my years going to Knott's, I never even noticed this place. It was really good and I will go back again. Nice to have another sit-down place to eat in Knott's. We loved all the sassy old waitresses.

We walked on Elf Mountain, the holiday layover for the Timber Mountain Log Ride. I think this is pretty cute and they do a good job decorating. I wanted to go on my fave, Montezuma's Revenge, but it had just closed for rain. We, with everyone else, headed to The Mine Ride, where we passed the time in the 20 minute line trying to understand the hairstyles of teenage boys. Everything pretty much had closed at this point (about 2 pm) so we decided to call it a day and head home.

All things considered, it was not a bad trip. I think a lot of locals will be taking advantage of the discounted annual pass deal.

^^GHOST TOWN. Since November 1997, I don't think Knott's has added anything that can be considered close to theme.

Boardwalk looks like "Any Cedar Fair park, USA".

Wild Water Wilderness is one pathway.

Camp Snoopy is the only area in the park with ample forestry.

Outside of GT and CS, the uniforms (in any dept) have no real "theme".

Other than Panda Express and Johnny Rockets, CF hasn't added anything but rides.

So I think its safe to say that the park doesnt go with the cocept of "theme", seeing as how it has been steering in a different direction since 1998.

Glad you had a good visit, even though it was shortened by rain. I took advantage of the $59.99 annual pass deal when I renewed last month too. Even with parking added it was only $99.99, the lowest price I have paid in many years of being a KBF pass holder. I am surprised that the coasters stayed open in the rain. I was there on a day when there was just a tiny bit of drizzle two years ago, and they closed almost everything except Boomerang and Supreme Scream.

We ate lunch at the Ghost Town Grille. In all my years going to Knott's, I never even noticed this place. It was really good and I will go back again. Nice to have another sit-down place to eat in Knott's. We loved all the sassy old waitresses.

I had always felt that Ghost Town Grille has survived "under the radar" of some of the other changes that have happened at the park.

Still seems to be exactly how it was 30 or 40 years ago!

--Robb

^ Yeah, and I wouldn't be surprised if some of those older waitresses have been there for a long time too. It's always the place I stop and eat when I visit. Not the best food ever, but it satisfies. The wings are not too bad. And free drink refills for the same price you would get a single fill out in the rest of the park. You can't beat the atmosphere either. Especially out on the patio. Last time I was eating out there they had the Civil War reenactment team march by. Very cool

If I told you all that a backstage tour of "Calico Mine Train" was one of the tours "in discussion" how interested in that would you be?

No guarantees as of yet even we can even pull this one off, just putting feelers out there of what people may be interested in.

--Robb