TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Knott's Berry Farm (KBF) Discussion Thread

P. 651: Montezooma's Revenge project terminated?

^ ...And then paint Monte yellow and Boomerang blue. Funny when the mere image of Monte being yellow makes me think "those were the good old days."

I absolutely loathe Knott's Berry Farm. Hate. Disgust. Not a single redeemable quality in the park, at all. My recent trip was terrible, as you can tell, but EVERY trip I take there is terrible. Rude (and seemingly all 16 years old) employees, annoying station queues (throw those effing mics away - these employees are NOT professional hosts and in the end, the fact that the same dude on the PA is also operating this giant machine is unnerving.) Ghostrider sucks. Monte is green. Xcelerator is never open. Silver bullet doesn't have a shade of silver in it. Pony Express was insulting. And now they are putting in Demon Drop.

It's almost like that friend you have, that is SO clutzy that every time he eats shit you almost can't believe it, because it is so frequent and so over-the-top. That is Knott's. It's sucks SO bad, that when they announce getting Demon Drop, you truly think it is a joke. But then you realize "ofcourse they are, this is America's first and worst theme park."

I never really wanted to "pave SFMM," but I always kind of went along with it because I thought it was funny to joke about. But when I say "pave Knott's," I am dead serious. I would actually be happy. Literally.

Oh, and BTW, who the fuck does Knott's think they are with their stupid "ride warrior" campaign. WTF? Trying to appeal to teens - as if the teens don't know that one of the largest collections of coasters is an hour north.

Screw you, Knott's. Screw you for all it's worth.

/rant

^ ...And then paint Monte yellow and Boomerang blue. Funny when the mere image of Monte being yellow makes me think "those were the good old days."

I absolutely loathe Knott's Berry Farm. Hate. Disgust. Not a single redeemable quality in the park, at all. My recent trip was terrible, as you can tell, but EVERY trip I take there is terrible. Rude (and seemingly all 16 years old) employees, annoying station queues (throw those effing mics away - these employees are NOT professional hosts and in the end, the fact that the same dude on the PA is also operating this giant machine is unnerving.) Ghostrider sucks. Monte is green. Xcelerator is never open. Silver bullet doesn't have a shade of silver in it. Pony Express was insulting. And now they are putting in Demon Drop.

It's almost like that friend you have, that is SO clutzy that every time he eats poo-poo you almost can't believe it, because it is so frequent and so over-the-top. That is Knott's. It's sucks SO bad, that when they announce getting Demon Drop, you truly think it is a joke. But then you realize "ofcourse they are, this is America's first and worst theme park."

I never really wanted to "pave SFMM," but I always kind of went along with it because I thought it was funny to joke about. But when I say "pave Knott's," I am dead serious. I would actually be happy. Literally.

Oh, and BTW, who the fudge does Knott's think they are with their stupid "ride warrior" campaign. WTF? Trying to appeal to teens - as if the teens don't know that one of the largest collections of coasters is an hour north.

Screw you, Knott's. Screw you for all it's worth.

/rant

Yeah, I have had good visits at Knotts but if Xcelerator wasn't open I would never go because that is there signature ride. Ghost Rider is so painful now. People are gonna die on that ride lol

I think Knott's is a fine park terms of rides. Xcelerator is world class, I'll never complain about a Schwarzkopf shuttle, and my non-enthusiast friends think Silver Bullet is amazing-- which means it's doing its job. Plus, a few weeks ago, I actually got a decent ride on Ghostrider. I know, astonishing!

Still, the overall mood of the park is weirdly soulless. I never have a great time there-- I usually just go to get my launched-coaster fix, since SFMM is lacking in that department. Nothing at Knott's flows properly. I think Pony Express is a cute ride, but its placement and theming feels random. The whole place just has that vacant, icky CF feel. I wish I could have experienced "old Knott's."

All that said, I am really excited about Demon Drop. For whatever reason, in all my time as a theme park geek, I have never been on an Intamin first-gen freefall. My husband insists it's the best drop tower experience out there, so I will actually be one of the losers who runs to Knott's right away for this thrilling "new" ride! (However, I'll agree that it is a really random and possibly dumb acquisition, given Supreme Scream.)

^^ You would have liked Knott's in the '70s, Diablo. I was a teenager in those days, and our trips there were always a blast. You know a park is good when you can have a blast with only one or two coasters.

The atmosphere is gone there, and it's become a generic amusement park.

About Silver Bullet, I am an enthusiast and do like it. I've long tired of how people bash it for its "forceless" ride. That last helix is far from forceless, and I always get a bit of airtime on the overbanked turn and the S-turn between the corkscrews. My only complaints about the ride are the wimpy first drop (could have been more Batman-like) and the lame operator spiels in the station.

Pony Express themewise is OK, but should have been about twice as long.

But I'm just rehashing stuff that we've already said. None of this will change. And, unfortunately, I don't think Knott's will ever be as great as it once was.

Eric

someone explain ghostriders history to me

when i rode it was the best ride ever, better than el toro, or goliath in its opening year where it had airtime in the first drop even,

it was amazing, and i rode in the very back with semi-loose restraints, and had incredible air on every hill,

do any of you ride it in the backseat with the restraints this way ?

i think this was the year 2000 and 2001

^^ Even up to the early 90's Knott's still had it's charm. I remember going crazy trying to sell chocolate bars in school so I can get a free trip to Knott's during those time. Knott's was an awesome park and sadly it has lost much of it's charms throughout the years. Also I completely agree with your sentiments about Silver Bullet. IMO you hit the nail right on the head bud.

Every time I ride Silver Bullet I am always surprised at the extreme G's during the helix. I almost always get a decent ride even in the front (where I always ride). Like EBL said, Silver Bullet is far from forceless.

I think Pony Express was a stupid decision as an addition. I liked the Wilderness Scrambler more than Pony Express. They should have just kept Wilderness Scrambler and saved for a better new addition IMO. I am not going to say WHAT they should have added but something other than a freakin' tiny Zamperla.

My only issue with Pony Express is its length. In a sense, it's a throwback to the Motorcycle Chase (which became the Wacky Soap Box Racers). Great idea, concept, and theme---just done on the cheap for yet another credit.

Funny how the WSBR track was only 450 feet longer, yet the two rides are night and day apart in terms of satisfaction. Of course, with four tracks, it always raced at least two of them. That made it more fun.

Eric

I find it pretty interesting. I was talking to my girlfriend (who is starting to get into coasters now, she's a ride op at Knott's) and we were discussing the history of the park. I personally don't remember much of Knott's predating Cedar Fair, but I did have one memorable experience. When I was about 7( Back in 1994) my mom took me and my older sister because Knott's used to give this pass via participating schools that was good for two people if you got honor roll. That was a cool thing by itself that CF got rid of. But I remember that the atmosphere of the park was completely different from what it is now. I remember the pettig zoo, and the free pog giveaways! (The best part actually, they gave you a slammer and a whole case of pogs) Knott's is an "OK" park now, but the problem now is that there is none of that good old fashioned charm that once was. Yes, it's mostly still there but unfortunately in the 12 years Cedar Fair has owned Knott's, NOT A SINGLE addition they have made has contributed to the theme, atmosphere or experience of the park OTHER THAN RIDES. From Supreme Scream up to Demon Drop, that's all Cedar Fair has done with this park is crammed it with rides. The rides that didn't work when they bought it, they replaced with rides that oddly enough also don't work. I really would like to see Cedar Fair make an attempt to make this a "theme" park. Oh well. There's a better "theme" park 10 mins down the 5, and a better "ride" park 60 miles up it.

^ You know what's crazy... I never ever had to think about "how what coasters does Knott's have" when I wanted to visit the park in the early 90's. The park just had a pure charm that drew families on a constant basis on multiple trips.

Everytime I see PP's turnaround, before the drop, I can help but remember the sweet dolphin show on the stadium which once stood there. Those were the days!

someone explain ghostriders history to me

when i rode it was the best ride ever, better than el toro, or goliath in its opening year where it had airtime in the first drop even,

it was amazing, and i rode in the very back with semi-loose restraints, and had incredible air on every hill,

do any of you ride it in the backseat with the restraints this way ?

i think this was the year 2000 and 2001

The only way to save GR now sadly is to tear it down and start over. I mean, Knott's doesn't even need to build and market a new coaster. They should be looking at what Six Flags is doing for the Texas Giant with using what you already have and making it better.. Just imagine if GR was smooth again, maybe even put some flyers on there or those new Timberliners. Bring back GR to its glory days and you'll have something that people would actually travel to the park to go on again.

The best seat by far for intensity, and should the cable happen to shred apart on the launch (a la TTD and KK) it's nice to have 18 seats to use as a sheild.

I know necro'ing posts is not a good habit to get into, but since I'm new and I work at Knott's, I figured I'd catch up and read this thread all the way through.

Wow. Just....Wow. O.o

I should have been more specific in my previous post - animatronics made by Sally Corporation, some of which are truly incredible. I don't see how upgrading an attraction would be so bad - allowing the attractions to become obsolete and dated makes them candidates for the wrecking ball. Look at the cool upgrades to POC at DL.

Until people complain that updating the animatronics "erases the magic that was new technology when the ride was opened".

Because we all know updated rides are not cool. That's why after the reopening, PotC had a 3 hour wait, and once everyone saw it, it went back to the normal walk-right-on, and TSMM still has an extended queue, and the ride is over a year old. Because new technology is lame.[/sarcasm]

But I suppose people will never be happy. The grass is greener, so on and so forth...

I'm planning on going to Knott's on Thanksgiving Day, anyone know what to expect for crowds?

Tough to say, but I don't remember Thanksgiving as being a standout "busy" day at Knott's.....

*I pause to reminisce*

NEVERMIND!! Last year during Thanksgiving I worked both jobs I had at the time (DCA Day Custodial and Ride Ops at Knott's), and requested Thanksgiving off so I could work my shift at DCA.

Disney was really crowded (we had celebrity guests, though....the turkeys George W. pardoned were in the parade...who DOESN'T live to see that?), but as far as I know, the crowds avoid the Farm on holidays. Hope that was helpful. ^_^

Also, thank you for your patience with me in responding to the posts which caught my eye.

For the record, I am all caught up. ^_^

~Zen

P.S.Thank you for the edit, Dave. ^_^

I will keep this in mind for the future.

MOD EDIT: As in the other thread, please use the default yellow text and size. It's easier for everyone to read. DO NOT EDIT A MOD'S CHANGES!!!!

My mistake. I thought that when you merged the posts, the text defaulted, and your main problem was the separation of the posts, not the text. As I stated in my PM, I'm slightly confused about the inclusion of text modification when you have an aversion to people using it, however, I am now using the default yellow. Again, sorry about that! ^_^;

~Zen

About Silver Bullet, I am an enthusiast and do like it. I've long tired of how people bash it for its "forceless" ride. That last helix is far from forceless, and I always get a bit of airtime on the overbanked turn and the S-turn between the corkscrews. My only complaints about the ride are the wimpy first drop (could have been more Batman-like) and the lame operator spiels in the station.

I apologize. I do often use the incorrect words.

Silver Bullet is forgettable. Silver Bullet is disproportionate. Silver Bullet is predictable. Silver Bullet is mediocre. Silver Bullet doesn't react to its surroundings...Silver Bullet crushes its surroundings.

on the flipside

Silver Bullet is reliable. Silver Bullet eats crowds. Silver Bullet produces mild thrills. Silver Bullet delivers a decent sense of satisfaction.

I still liked it better as a lake.

Knott's is ALWAYS crowded during the holidays. It's crowded because of all the deals they have going. All the cheap people go when they have the "free ticket per 10 dollar present" around Christmas time. Seriously, if you go during the major holidays, prepare for crowds.

They're FINALLY adjusting their policy this year....we got kind of sick of being over-capacity and having the Marines continue to hand out tickets. I'm not bashing them; they were doing their jobs, but it could have been organized much more efficiently.

This year you MUST purchase a toy FROM A KNOTT'S MERCHANDISE LOCATION (valued at around $15) to get a ticket. No more super cheap people from a certain ethnicity going to the 99c store.

And they are expanding the TFT promotion to have it run during the week, to try and relieve the pressure we were all under when it was restricted to weekends. Also, I don't know if they will be doing tickets (not purchased tickets, just vouchers to see it) for the ice show this year like they were last year, but if they are, GET THEM EARLY. ALL THE SHOWS WILL BE FILLED TO CAPACITY (2,500 for the CMS theater). Do NOT ignore the ticket announcements, please!

Here's hoping this holiday season will be better on all of us! ^_^

~Zen

^Ahhh, that is amazing news.

No more super cheap people from a certain ethnicity going to the 99c store.

That was hilarious!

No but really, I hated when all the cheap people would just go during the cheap 10$ holiday sales. I hope the new discounts will help hold back the crowds a little.

To be honest, I am NOT a racist....it's just a trend I noticed within a certain group of people....that really pissed me off. ^_^

Too true on the discounts. I think the worst thing is, regular guests get better prices than people who work at the park. So do Disney Cast Members! WTF IS UP WITH THAT, YOU CHEAP #$@#$#@?@?@???**

**read as: park

~Zen

This year you MUST purchase a toy FROM A KNOTT'S MERCHANDISE LOCATION (valued at around $15) to get a ticket. No more super cheap people from a certain ethnicity going to the 99c store.

Only Knott's could turn a good deed/annual promotion that has been running for years into another way to make a few bucks...

"To be honest, I am NOT a racist....it's just a trend I noticed within a certain group of people" (zenechai)

My sentiments exactly. The fact is that some groups do certain things certain ways. In my 50 years on the planet, I've done a lot of observing. I don't hate anyone from a different race; I just acknowledge that there are differences, like it or not. We're all equal, just in different ways. Some people just have an itchy trigger finger when it comes to playing the race card. But if someone needs to call me a racist, be my guest.

Anyway...Knott's...maybe I just missed it, but is the deal that you buy a toy at a merchandise location inside the park, then take the toy to Guest Relations for the free ticket for a future visit, or can you apply that to the current visit?

Eric

This new version of the TFT program can only help the park and trust me, they should have done this a long time ago. Not only are you proving that you want to make a donation, but your not being cheap about it either. Come on, $15 bucks is nothing and I can see the reasons behind the new restrictions.

Regarding the receipt thing, good move on Knott's part, there are some good aspects to Disney's high prices. Enough said.

What CF needs to do with Knotts isn't hard to do: watch Dollywood and Silver Dollar City, the Herschend's know what to do, just copy them. Camp Snoopy is perfect for a river battle ride like Dollywood's, especially after they tore down the Playhouse. And that kids drop tower in Timber Canyon, perfect for CS.

They can and should save GR, it has to be more reasonable than building new, although the price of lumber is really cheap right now due to the recession - er, 'slow-down'.