TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Knott's Berry Farm (KBF) Discussion Thread

P. 651: Montezooma's Revenge project terminated?

^Montezooma is a near linear ride that has a pretty small length, there's not much you can do with its space. And taking out Jaguar (a VERY popular ride with the kids [i know from experience]) and Monty, a ride great for people just getting into inversions and launches/also a classic for an intimidating ride is just not a good idea.

^^I still don't see how that would quite work. Fiesta Village and that area of the park are already crowded enough as it. People complained when Silver Bullet was added because of it's obnoxiously large supports in the middle of the midways and in plain view. My friends and I even make fun of the fact that there is a support in one of the outdoor shops near the Wagon Camp. Can you imagine how that area would look with even more big B&M supports all over the place? Especially for a coaster as large as a hyper.

I agree with Atem about Montezooma's Revenge. It's a great ride to get people used to inversions, and Jaguar really is popular among kids.

Now...the stuff I dont like or have issues with

Jaguar and Montezoomas are extremely outdated! First, Jaguar needs to go because there is allready 2 family coasters that have been added in these last 5 years. (Both of which my opinion is indifferent about). It is poorly themed and a piece of junk. Montezoomas was great, b ut the park already has a launch coaster so it really has lost it's flare. WHat they should do is tear out Montezoomas and Jaguar to make room for a new B&M coaster. Maybe like SFOG Goliath. KBF really lacks a good coaster with large hills. It could use Jaguars station but have it updated to not feel like a total $#!# hole. That Takes care of Fiesta Villiage.

Finally...as for the new drop ride from Cedar Point... It is a complete waste of money. It is not new, or interesting. The public wont care. KBF allready has a great drop ride (supreem scream). Really bad decision. What needs to happen is for KBF to update itself. Hive the old mine ride and logride a faclift. Repaint Xcelerator! and send the old CP ride to the dump. Bring us a solid B&M!!!!

In a lot of ways, keeping Knotts a 'classic' park is a great thing to do- and by preserving such rides as Demon Drop and Monte's Revenge is a good place to start.

Simply ripping out coasters for the sake of building new rides is a waste. Many of us got our start on 'older' or 'not so big' rides such as Jaguar and Monte's Revenge. Whereas they may not add tons of people to ride them, they are just as much a classic as you'd find in Matterhorn or even the Coney Island Cyclone.

And, it goes without saying, a coaster with big hills doesn't always make for a good park. Sometimes, you get a real winner. And in other times, a real weiner. We just lost one of the greatest steel coasters ever built due to the 'rip it out, it's not big enough' mentality this year, and unfortunatly, we lost not only a classic, but a -rare- classic as well.

(installing my asbestos underwear for the next statement)

Belive it or not, as much as I enjoy B&Ms.... They lack real punch as of late- and the majority of their newer designs are, well, uninspired and very much duplicates of others. Intamin is refining and redesigning their designs with things such as the Megalite (Real kick-A@@ coaster design)- as well as the -true- Giga class coasters (Intimidator 305, Millenium). Gertslauer (sp!) is breaking the mold with the EuroFighter coasters. Mack is getting into the game with their new launch series. What 'new' have Walter and Claude come up with lately. Nada. Nothing. Zero.

Leave Knott's older rides alone. Shredding Monte to put in a rather uninspired Beemer isn't the answer. Cherishing our classics as well as our new generation rides makes more sense.

Now...the stuff I dont like or have issues with

Jaguar and Montezoomas are extremely outdated! First, Jaguar needs to go because there is allready 2 family coasters that have been added in these last 5 years. (Both of which my opinion is indifferent about). It is poorly themed and a piece of junk. Montezoomas was great, b ut the park already has a launch coaster so it really has lost it's flare. WHat they should do is tear out Montezoomas and Jaguar to make room for a new B&M coaster. Maybe like SFOG Goliath. KBF really lacks a good coaster with large hills. It could use Jaguars station but have it updated to not feel like a total $#!# hole. That Takes care of Fiesta Villiage.

Finally...as for the new drop ride from Cedar Point... It is a complete waste of money. It is not new, or interesting. The public wont care. KBF allready has a great drop ride (supreem scream). Really bad decision. What needs to happen is for KBF to update itself. Hive the old mine ride and logride a faclift. Repaint Xcelerator! and send the old CP ride to the dump. Bring us a solid B&M!!!!

In a lot of ways, keeping Knotts a 'classic' park is a great thing to do- and by preserving such rides as Demon Drop and Monte's Revenge is a good place to start.

Simply ripping out coasters for the sake of building new rides is a waste. Many of us got our start on 'older' or 'not so big' rides such as Jaguar and Monte's Revenge. Whereas they may not add tons of people to ride them, they are just as much a classic as you'd find in Matterhorn or even the Coney Island Cyclone.

And, it goes without saying, a coaster with big hills doesn't always make for a good park. Sometimes, you get a real winner. And in other times, a real weiner. We just lost one of the greatest steel coasters ever built due to the 'rip it out, it's not big enough' mentality this year, and unfortunatly, we lost not only a classic, but a -rare- classic as well.

(installing my asbestos underwear for the next statement)

Belive it or not, as much as I enjoy B&Ms.... They lack real punch as of late- and the majority of their newer designs are, well, uninspired and very much duplicates of others. Intamin is refining and redesigning their designs with things such as the Megalite (Real kick-A@@ coaster design)- as well as the -true- Giga class coasters (Intimidator 305, Millenium). Gertslauer (sp!) is breaking the mold with the EuroFighter coasters. Mack is getting into the game with their new launch series. What 'new' have Walter and Claude come up with lately. Nada. Nothing. Zero.

Leave Knott's older rides alone. Shredding Monte to put in a rather uninspired Beemer isn't the answer. Cherishing our classics as well as our new generation rides makes more sense.

^ I absolutely agree with everything you just said.

The one thing I however don't agree with you on is that BBW (I assume that's the classic you were talking about) was not ripped out to make way for a new ride. It was getting to be a nightmare for BGE and they couldn't sustain it for much longer. Apparently they didn't want to see it go either.

Personally, I think Demon Drop and Montezooma's Revenge fit perfictly into the type of ride that Knott's should aim for. They both strike me as rides that adults enjoy, but that wouldn't be too intimidating for kids. I think a good family ride doesn't necessarily have to be children-themed, but just be a ride that kids can "grow up" on.

Jaguar and Montezoomas are extremely outdated! First, Jaguar needs to go because there is allready 2 family coasters that have been added in these last 5 years. (Both of which my opinion is indifferent about). It is poorly themed and a piece of junk. Montezoomas was great, but the park already has a launch coaster so it really has lost it's flare. What they should do is tear out Montezoomas and Jaguar to make room for a new B&M coaster. Maybe like SFOG Goliath. KBF really lacks a good coaster with large hills. It could use Jaguars station but have it updated to not feel like a total $#!# hole. That Takes care of Fiesta Villiage.

Jaguar and Montezooma's Revenge are both classics. I look forward to riding them each visit. Jaguar is not poorly themed but just kind of old and run-down. They just need to refurbish the line/station. Putting in a large B&M (or any large coaster) where Jaguar and Montezooma's Revenge are would destroy the entire atmospheres of Fiesta Village and Camp Snoopy. Putting in a large coaster right in that small space is a horrible idea.

Jaguar! a classic? Not exactly. But that isn't saying I want it to be removed. It's a fun little ride. And poorly themed? Really? I mean, it isn't to the level of the better Disney attractions, but for a small park such as Knott's, the theming for the ride is well done.

And then there is Monte, a true classic. Whenever I visit Knotts, this is the only coaster I make sure I ride before I leave. It's fun, it's intense and it should never be removed.

Jaguar! is a relatively noisy, jerky Zierer Tivoli coaster, but it is a good, long ride that everyone likes---myself included. Keep it. It's not in the way of anything or does it disrupt the area it's in.

Montezooma's Revenge is a classic and still very fun ride. If it were removed, as others have said, what could fill that long, narrow space? Not much---perhaps an Intamin Impulse if they want to keep a coaster there. I haven't ridden one of those, but I don't hear anyone raving about them, either.

Eric

I agree with those that think Monte is a sacred cow (hands off), and even Jaguar! Contrary to popular opinion, there is enough room to expand - even a hyper, but before that I recommend fixing what is broken: the log ride, the mine ride, BFR, and GR.

Whatever it would cost to fix GR, it would cost twice as much as build it. GR kicked ass when it wasn't NEGLECTED. If CF would just FIX IT, they'd have a Top 10 again. The log ride is a classic, but the NEGLECT is evident; how about that 'waterfall' pouring into the caverns after the 1st drop? Yeah, looks like a broken pipe to me, too. Cheapey, cheap, cheap fix.

And Demon Drop in Charleston Circle? The only rides at Knott's older than Demon Drop are: Monte, Dragon Swing, Hat Dance, Stagecoach, Grey Goose, log ride, and the mine ride. Either CF doesn't care or they don't have a clue. I can't figure them out.

^I think that's the problem everybody has with this whole Demon Drop fiasco. When it gets to the point where your best strategy for the family market is a 32 year old shuttle loop, and a 27 year old drop tower, you may have to go back to the lab on a few things...

Totally agree with you there. Has Cedar Fair really added a favorite to Knotts since Accelerator? The Knotts family had started Ghostrider when CF took over(and it was running well)

Accekerator kicks ass and is in my top ten due to the ridicoulas amount of ejecor airtime I got on it in June(1st time in back seat) but it ruins a bit of the ambiance of the classic boardwalk. It did kind of need a coaster, though.

Silver Bullet is fun, but never really crowded(the capaciy is good though) but that ride destroyed the park. A B&M in the ghost town area of the park with no theming besides a stage coach with the word silver bullet is an ambiance killer.

Sierra Sidewinder- I lied, I like this one quite a bit and it goes well in camp snoopy. There is little to no theming though, and it is a little to bright, but its in camp snoopy.

Pony Express- White water wilderness was one of the last areas of knotts with charm, the coaster ruined that. The coaster is also uncomfortable, slow, too short, and not at all thrilling.(even for a kiddie)

Cedar Fair also removed tampico tumbler which is a rare(they are rare, right?) flat ride and replaced it with a giant frisbee. I like la revolucion, but it goes in terribly with the area, and the tumbler was my favorite flat ride, probaby ever. Also, the removal of kingdom of the dinosaurs is and will forever be a travesty.

^The only Grey Goose I like.

I'm thinking Jim1013 was referring to the Galloping Goose.

Speaking of the Galloping Goose... Earlier I posted in this thread that the Goose should be on track Monday - Friday. Well that's not entirely true. Last Friday the Calico Express was on the track and I think it might be again this coming Friday.

^I think that's the problem everybody has with this whole Demon Drop fiasco. When it gets to the point where your best strategy for the family market is a 32 year old shuttle loop, and a 27 year old drop tower, you may have to go back to the lab on a few things...

Totally agree with you there. Has Cedar Fair really added a favorite to Knotts since Accelerator? The Knotts family had started Ghostrider when CF took over(and it was running well)

Accekerator kicks A$$ and is in my top ten due to the ridicoulas amount of ejecor airtime I got on it in June(1st time in back seat) but it ruins a bit of the ambiance of the classic boardwalk. It did kind of need a coaster, though.

Silver Bullet is fun, but never really crowded(the capaciy is good though) but that ride destroyed the park. A B&M in the ghost town area of the park with no theming besides a stage coach with the word silver bullet is an ambiance killer.

Sierra Sidewinder- I lied, I like this one quite a bit and it goes well in camp snoopy. There is little to no theming though, and it is a little to bright, but its in camp snoopy.

Pony Express- White water wilderness was one of the last areas of knotts with charm, the coaster ruined that. The coaster is also uncomfortable, slow, too short, and not at all thrilling.(even for a kiddie)

Cedar Fair also removed tampico tumbler which is a rare(they are rare, right?) flat ride and replaced it with a giant frisbee. I like la revolucion, but it goes in terribly with the area, and the tumbler was my favorite flat ride, probaby ever. Also, the removal of kingdom of the dinosaurs is and will forever be a travesty.

I agree with almost everything you said. Cedar Fair needs to stop giving Knotts bottom of the barrel stuff. Pony Express is a COMPLETE joke. It's the worst ride in the park pretty much. Knotts should get a good hyper coaster and just take out pony express.