TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Knott's Berry Farm (KBF) Discussion Thread

P. 651: Montezooma's Revenge project terminated?

Assuming the rumor is true...where the heck would they put it?

I went to Knott's today for a quick fix of coaster...and I don't remember seeing any possible space for a ride this size. Even if it did take up the swing's spot, Pony Express is RIGHT there...along with the train track.

The park cannot possibly fit anything else in there...it's beginning to look like Blackpool Pleasure Beach!

If you look at the actual amount of room Demon Drop takes up, the ride can easily fit in that area....

demon_drop_knotts_B.jpg.a8483a7dc4cc7db21460d3faff4d470b.jpg

Another option.

demon_drop_knotts_A.jpg.de5677018414ef10a085d91392b9058a.jpg

One option...

I would be surprised about the Demon Drop rumors if it was any park other than Knotts.

But IMO, it makes absolutely no sense at all. As was pointed out, there was the same ride at SFMM for 25 years, most people had their fill of it as it had absolutely NO line during it's last few years. It's not anything "pretty" to look and and once again will be another nail in the coffin to Ghost Town theming.

The interesting thing will be the height requirement on it, if it does get moved to Knotts. Freefall at SFMM had a 42" height requirement and was really the first "thrill" ride both my kids rode. I'm sure with this being Knotts, it will have a 48" requirement as it already does at Cedar Point.

The interesting thing will be the height requirement on it, if it does get moved to Knotts. Freefall at SFMM had a 42" height requirement and was really the first "thrill" ride both my kids rode. I'm sure with this being Knotts, it will have a 48" requirement as it already does at Cedar Point.

I'd put money on it having a 48" height restriction. When tame rides like Jaguar and Pony Express have a 48" height restriction there is no way this thing would be 42".

--Robb

Speaking of height requirements, I find it funny that my daughter(42" tall) can ride demon at six flags gurnee, but she can't ride disaster transport at cedar point.

I seem to have this problem with a lot of rides at cedar fair parks.

I had(and still am) having a hard time explaining to her why she can ride certain rides at one park, but can't at another.

So this is looking pretty much confirmed!

http://travel.latimes.com/daily-deal-blog/index.php/knotts-berry-farm-to-5666/

Knott’s Berry Farm’s new attraction for 2010 is an aging hand-me-down thrill ride that’s older than many of the Buena Park theme park’s patrons.

The Demon Drop attraction will be relocated from sister park Cedar Point in Ohio, where the ride debuted in 1983 — when Ronald Reagan was president, Michael Jackson introduced the moonwalk and leg warmers were in fashion.

Knott’s officials confirmed that the installation of the drop tower ride will begin in January with a grand opening scheduled for Memorial Day Weekend 2010. Knott’s will keep the Demon Drop name, color scheme and theme.

Wait...Demon Drop had a "theme???"

Wow... I guess it's a boardwalk attraction now...?

I was really hoping for a mine shaft theme

Mine shaft theme would be logical considering it will sit directly across from Calico Mine Ride. They could still keep the name and just paint it brown/black/whatever. Perhaps do a little something special with the station and entrance.

Oh well. Look at it this way, another ride! Better than one less ride in my book.

The aerial pics are cool, thanks for adding them. It really looks like they will be creating a crowd control issue with that particular placement. The ride is big for that spot, and then add in a q? Unless they can elevate the ride so it rises above the boardwalk so guests can pass underneath it. Or maybe they intend to seal off that entrance into Calico Square? Imo, this is an install as well planned out as Windjammer. I am interested in it's construction strictly from an architectural sense though. And if it shortens the line on the good attractions, that is a sliver lining.

^Yea...but it's REPLACING a ride...so it's hard to call it an ADDITION...

In fairness our park admission tickets/annual passes will not lose any value because of this development. Screamin' Swing is an upcharge so we are not losing something that was already included. When you think about it that way (instead of a pure construction standpoint), the ride still is an addition...Demon Drop will be something extra to ride thats included with your park admission.

And they could have just as easily said forget it, scrapping the ride and putting a store, eatery or worse yet, nothing at all.

I am absolutely thrilled that Demon Drop is coming to Knott's. I love the 1st gen intamin drop towers. It is one of the highlights of my cedar point trips believe it or not (since freefall was removed from Magic Mountain)

The intamin 1st gen drop towers are really the only ride that still "makes my stomach drop" I love it. Find me another ride that gives me that same sensation and I will happily try it, although to this day I have not found any modern drop towers or coasters that give me that same sensation.

I am very happy!

^Go on an ARM drop tower and your life will never be the same.

I do think that this is a total bogus move on Cedar Fair's part. Nobody in SoCal is going to go and visit Knotts for this when they already have a huge drop tower in Supreme Scream. Also nobody cares here in SoCal unless it's a roller coaster or some extreme ride that gets people talking. If it's just a run of the mill ride, nobody will care.

^ I remember that. Didn't Condor open in Fall or Winter 1987?

Condor, Z-Force and Reactor were three rides that I wish I had the opportunity to try.

Regarding Demon Drop, I'm not as theme-park savvy as many on the boards, but my guess is that they want to keep it at Knott's until they either sell it, or find a scrap yard that will make them a good offer.

I do give the park credit. I've been visiting for practically 30 years, and I have never seen them do anything quite like this. Windjammer was horrendous, but at least it somewhat had a theme/concept.

I'm kinda confused on this. Moving th Demon Drop across the country seems very odd for me, since the ride is older and its Cedar Fair. I'm thankful that I had a chance to ride the Demon Drop this past summer, when I went to Cedar Point. I rode it up to five times, there was hardly a line, and I got plenty of footage of the ride. It was a great ride. Just hope at Knotts, it goes well with the people. Sorry if this was already asked, but wasn't The Edge accident in California? People might be scared to ride it for some reason. Just a thought, I wouldn't, plus Intamin added more safety features after that.

^Unless I'm mistaken, its the one when a car fell down the elevator shaft and crushed the car that had just entered the shaft at the bottom. Intamin then added anti-rollbacks to the elevator and changed the program so that only one car was in the elevator shaft at a time.