TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Knott's Berry Farm (KBF) Discussion Thread

P. 651: Montezooma's Revenge project terminated?

I rode it last year and got mildly splashed... about as much as the log ride. I was intimidated going on it for the first time because it looks intense and it's kind of rusty and rickety, but it did nothing for me at all. The drop really was just like getting tipped steeply forward then tipped backwards right away. The kids I was with were pissed that they didn't get wet, and I was just stoked that I didn't have to take them on it again!

I guess I see the whole boardwalk thing but to be honest, there wasn't very much about that area that seemed boardwalk-esque to me... just a big open slab of cement with some 50's music playing. PP itself just looks like a huge metal structure.

It seems that without a large body of water close by, the whole boardwalk theme would be tough to pull off convincingly and really PP just dumps into a paddling pool by comparison.

Gotta say though that I do like Knotts more than most of the other parks in So Cal. To me, the rides are more varied and a couple of them are very intense compared to places like SFMM which (to me) seems to be all bark and no bite.

Gotta say though that I do like Knotts more than most of the other parks in So Cal. To me, the rides are more varied and a couple of them are very intense compared to places like SFMM which (to me) seems to be all bark and no bite.

I'm glad to read you like Knott's Berry Farm, but I have to disagree about the intensity compared to Magic Mountain. I find a lot Magic Mountain's coasters to be very intense and exhausting to the body, such as Batman The ride, Deja Vu, Riddler's Revenge, Viper, and X2. I love Magic Mountain, but I rarely ever ride all their coaster in a single visit because I get very exhausted from all the forces. I think Knott's Berry Farm's coasters are very easy on the body and I find myself riding Xcelerator and Silver Bullet multiple times each visit.

I think Boomerang and Montezooma's Revenge are the most intense coasters in the park.

^With the new boats, the splash doesnt even reach the bridge

Yeah, with the old boats the splash reached the far end of the bridge...now it MIGHT barely get your feet moist.

I think Knott's Berry Farm's coasters are very easy on the body and I find myself riding Xcelerator and Silver Bullet multiple times each visit.

I think Boomerang and Montezooma's Revenge are the most intense coasters in the park.

Monte is not intense to me anymore, and Boomerang just hurts my ears.

I agree that SB and XLR8R are easy on the body though. SB is just fun with almost no forces and XLR8R's launch is the only intense part of the ride.

I think it's just different strokes for different folks. I do enjoy SFMM, but in small doses (like once every couple of years) and I was there a few months back to check out Terminator and had a great time.

I find a lot Magic Mountain's coasters to be very intense and exhausting to the body, such as Batman The ride, Deja Vu, Riddler's Revenge, Viper, and X2.

I agree completely -- some of them are so draining that I just don't even bother. I always get my butt kicked on Revolution, Viper, Colossus, Goldrusher, and X2 so unless they are a walk on, I'd rather pass. Batman is always fun and intense in a good way, but I find most B&M's to be kind of dull simply because of their extravagant size.

I think Knott's Berry Farm's coasters are very easy on the body and I find myself riding Xcelerator and Silver Bullet multiple times each visit.

And again, I agree and I think that's why Knotts is more to my taste (Ghostrider being the exception). They have thrilling rides that you can ride over and over but they are intermixed with more of a variety of different attractions. SFMM is all about how big and how fast we can get it and, I think, as a result, certain other aspects get left behind.

Ugh... can't handle Boomerang at all! I have to respectfully cross swords with you on that one!

When I was younger, SFMM was the holy grail -- and so I totally understand the appeal of bigger + faster = better. But as I've gotten older, I've found that my body prefers more of a balance -- and Knotts has that in spades. But again, it's a matter of different strokes for different folks... and besides, I though Flashback was a great ride -- a statement that I understand would have me tried for heresy in most coaster-weenie circles!

What were we talking about again?

SFMM is all about how big and how fast we can get it and, I think, as a result, certain other aspects get left behind.

QFT

QFTx2

I really find that what makes Knott's easier to spend a day at than SFMM is the amount of kick back rides they have. Silver Bullet is tame enough to be a relaxing ride, but they also have 3 train rides, a much better developed kiddie section than SFMM and rides that are just fun like TMLR and BFR. Even the flumes at SFMM are really jolty and hard to relax on, and their train ride lasts about a grand total of 2 minutes and has really nothing too special to look at.

While I agree that Knott's has a better balance of rides (some relaxing, some thrilling) I find SFMM more fun to go to. There's more coasters and they keep you busy. I love to ride X2, Goliath, Batman and Terminator several times each visit and nearly everything else at least once, but I can't even get everything done everytime I visit the park!

I get bored at Knott's. Even when I haven't been there in a while and I go I get bored. Boomerang is one of my least favorite coasters and isn't worth riding again (I've actually ridden it 4 times...ugh), and I find Ghostrider and Montezooma's Revenge to kind of just be "one ride per visit" type rides. Silver Bullet is okay, but the only rides you'll find me at all day are Xcelerator and Supreme Scream. Sure Timber Mountain Log Ride, Bigfoot, and Perilous Plunge are fun, but it all gets done really quickly and once you've ridden Silver Bullet and Xcelerator 20+ times each they get really old also.

SFMM is a HUGE park though, with much more space. For the little park Knott's is (in size), it really does have a good amount of rides.

^I also agree that SFMM is a better park because they have a lot of stuff to do, but even the smaller rides at sfmm are really jolty making it hard to sit back and relax. What SFMM needs to make KBF obsolete are some good, smooth small rides, a smooth small-medium sized coaster....and an Intamin.

^KBF's family coasters aren't exactly smooth either. I'd say Jaguar is just as rough as Gold Rusher, Pony Express is extremely uncomfortable to point where it isn't even enjoyable, and I won't even say anything about Timberline Twister... That leaves Sierra Sidewinder which I think is probably the greatest thing ever. Even though I hate spinning it is a such a fun family coaster and is perfect for everyone. It's very popular and everyone just loves it! SFMM needs something just like it, but besides that I would not say KBF's family coasters are smooth. I just think it's great that they do have a good amount of them, as well as a great kiddie area, Timber Mountain, Bigfoot, and Calico Mine Ride. That is one thing that I'm very impressed with at KBF, and not so much at SFMM.

I find Ghostrider and Montezooma's Revenge to kind of just be "one ride per visit" type rides.

I beg to differ with Ghost Rider being a 1 ride per visit type coaster. GR is almost a completely different coaster at night! The whole atmosphere changes...(at least for me).

I do agree that Monte is a 1 ride per visit coaster though. Once you ride it, it's done. It's no different at night than it is during the daytime. Plus, there is not enough track for you to miss any subtleties while you ride.

Ghostrider still hurts day or night!!! Personally just because you can't see where you're going doesn't forgive the ride for its insane course run. Actually riding it night hinders your ability to hold on at the right moments for dear life!!!

And I must disagree with Monte being just a "one and done" ride. Monte has stood the test of time and still kicks butt for being such a simple coaster. Returning from the front spike back into the loop gets me every time. I'm wondering if I'm the only one who thinks this way...

Regarding Ghostrider, my girlfriend LITERALLY had to go to the chiropractor after riding it - nor could she work for the rest of the week.

I took some family on it last year and, since I'd been on it before I was bracing myself like crazy. I had one arm over the side of the car and used it to pull myself into the seat to try and stay in one place. Well, by the time we got the photo hut at the exit, a bruise had started to form on the inside of my arm. By the end of the night, I kid you not, the whole inside of my arm from armpit to the middle of my forearm had turned dark purple and yellow. I didn't feel it happen on the ride -- and to be honest, I thought it was kind of funny. I was showing that bruise off for weeks afterward and considered sending Knotts a photo of it!

As brutal as it is, I still love it. It's such a great design and is one of the only coasters I've ridden that feels so out of control that I seriously worry that it's not going to make it back to the station.

My real fear, however, is on that second part after the hidden drop when it REALLY starts slamming you up and down. I'm terrified I'm going to lift off the seat and come back down on that center divider thing and spend the remainder of the ride straddling it. Irrational, I know, but the thought is there!

Incidentally, the kids I took (ages 8 through 16) though it kicked the butt of any SoCal rollercoaster. I guess they can take a beating more than I can!

I enjoy GhostRider. Its not my favorite wooden coaster but its up there. To me its a classic. Yes its rough but to be honest, it runs for the entire year outside of its scheduled rehabs which can last for anywhere between 3 weeks to a month sometimes. Now.. I could name a few other wooden coasters that dont even run all year and can give u the beating of a lifetime.