TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Knott's Berry Farm (KBF) Discussion Thread

P. 651: Montezooma's Revenge project terminated?

^ I can't speak for everyone but Knott's Berry Farm was a totally different park in the mid 80's to mid 90's. I grew up with that park and seeing it lose most of it's charm throughout the years kinda hurts.

I can honestly say that going to Knott's in those days really realize what an amusement park was all about. The environment and atmosphere was something that the park should have been proud of in those days. I really still hold hope that someday the charm will be back in Snoopy's home.

*By the way did you ever know that they use to have an AWESOME dolphin show at Knott's... Good times!*

I have to ask, now that it was mentioned, there seems to be alot of Knott's bashing on this site. I haven't been yet, and would like to. Just out of curiosity, why? (although I think removal of certain buildings are one thng).

Basically what Crazy4Coasters said about losing its charm. Now it's pretty much just your typical Cedar Fair park (which isn't a bad thing, it's just kind of disappointing to see what Knott's was like and what it's like now.

I rode Silver Bullet about 4 times when I visited. For me, I'd read so much about it on here that I was expecting a terrible coaster, so with no expectations, I ended up enjoying it

I guess it's kinda the same with the park itself. I was never there for the "golden days", and I'd read the... somewhat negative views of the park, so I was pleasantly surprised when I actually went. I can definitely see what you guys mean, though, especially with Silver Bullet. It's pretty much sitting on top of the entrance of the park.

Out of curiosity, what do you guys think of Perilous Plunge? It was a really hot day, so I didn't really mind standing in ankle deep water and getting hit by a waterfall while I was queuing, but I don't think if it was any cooler I would have been happy with it. They were running one boat, and we ended up waiting an hour for it. Then... it was over. All the ride did was give me something to do while they fixed Xcelerator. Am I alone in thinking it's a waste of space?

^SB is fun. I rode it before reading about it, and it had been years since I rode B:TR at SFMM, so I had no real preconceived notion of how intense a B&M invert should be. I loved it. However, during my next trip to SFMM, I made a point of riding Batman, and I experienced the difference first hand. SB kind of meanders through its course, while Batman whips through the track. Both are smooth and well built, but the Silver Bullet doesn't quite live up to it's name or to its predecessors.

As for Perilous Plunge, I know there are a lot of folks who wouldn't mind seeing it razed to make room for some airtime-filled track!

I would probably say that the best way to sum up Knott's is:

Imagine if you will, Disneyland Park being bought out by an outside agency (once again this is hypothetical) and this outside agency had a different agenda than that of DL. Disney has always been about escapism and leaving the real world behind. Going into a fantasy world and creating a truly unique experience. The outside agency just wants to create a "fun atmosphere that is comfortable enough to bring people in and make money. Within 12 years, do you think Disneyland would be the same park, creating the same experience?

I can definitely see what you guys mean, though, especially with Silver Bullet. It's pretty much sitting on top of the entrance of the park.

I think that's cool. It gives the ride an ominous nature how right when you walk into the park, the cobra roll is standing there right in front of you.

^^^

I also think Perilous Plunge should be replaced. With two water rides already, they should add another coaster in where PP is now. An impulse, I don't care. Anything is better than the pointless Perilous Plunge.

^I wouldn't call it pointless, it offers a great thrill and I like to ride it everytime I visit the park, I just think something even better could be in its place.

But I just remembered...didn't it just get some new paint during the off season?

PP isnt pointless at all, I mean it has the best drop in all of California, and it's a way to get wet on a hot day, if I had a choice between Big Foot and PP, I'd pick PP. Besides you could fit something much larger in BF's spot if you took that water ride out.

Im sure with a little creative engineering they could fit a hyper in without taking out Rapids. Its not like rapids takes up alot of vertical real estate so it would be easy to build on top of rapids. Now PP might need to be removed, but its been a few years since I've been to the park so I cant really remember how much room it really takes up.

It's a nice amount of land, but I don't know what good of use it would be for a hyper. If the station went in that land, the lift would pretty much have to go over that whole back area by the bumper cars which I think would look pretty bad...then do the rest of the course back-stage and come back next to the lift. I think the only way they could get a hyper would be to have the station on the edge of the park, right by the back entrance but I don't see how they could squeeze that in without removing Bigfoot or some buildings over there.

I don't think building a hyper would be the best idea for Knott's. A lot of people already are mad about Knott's losing its charm with all these coasters and a hyper would pretty much take all of what's left of that charm away.

I think it would be a much better idea to remove Perilous Plunge, add something there (an El Loco, ball coaster, GCI woodie?? (it is a boardwalk area afterall), anything that can fit) and leave the rapids/back entrance area alone.

PPlunge.JPG.27d2cec9b89a02be64ea37f5b6846991.JPG

As weird as it is & despite the fact that I haven't ridden it, I like Plunge. It's eye candy & adds to the boardwalk feel. I can honestly say I'd hate to see an El Loco in place of it. I don't know why but those things are just ugly hunks of metal to me.

As weird as it is & despite the fact that I haven't ridden it, I like Plunge. It's eye candy & adds to the boardwalk feel. I can honestly say I'd hate to see an El Loco in place of it. I don't know why but those things are just ugly hunks of metal to me.

Agreed. And let's not forget, mega-lites are perfect for parks with limited land space. And they pack a MAJOR punch despite their size.

Has anyone ridden PP recently? How wet do you actually get? I haven't given PP a shot ever since I saw my sister soaked from head to toe after riding. I hate being soaked to the point that your shoes and socks become very uncomfortable for a good part of the day.