TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Knott's Berry Farm (KBF) Discussion Thread

P. 651: Montezooma's Revenge project terminated?

7 hours ago, thrillseeker4552 said:

EDIT: And yeah, for whatever reason, Knott's is the only year-round 365 park I can think of that uses seasonal passes that expire December 31 rather than 12-month passes like SeaWorld/Busch/Disney/Universal.

Knott's is the only year round park in the Cedar Fair chain, so its conforms to the calendar year "season" pass of the rest of the company , rather than the rolling "annual" pass of Disney/Uni.  Six Flags does the same thing for the parks in CA and TX.

• Like 1

Did they just announce the above? I was at the park today, using up the last of my Season Pass (I now qualify for an out-of-state season pass holder, which lasts through June). I didn't plan on renewing as I'll be out of state for much of 2022, but I'll likely re-purchase for 2023 and hopefully get a free December visit thrown in.

The park wasn't crowded today, but Knotts is very much in prep-for-summer mode. Lots of rides were closed (more than what was already known), and ops were quite scaled back. As the result, what was open saw some lines longer than what's usually expected at this time of year. I waited 45 mins for Ghost Rider, which is probably the longest I've waited for it in years (totally worth it). Line-jumping has always been an issue at Knotts, but it was particularly wild today. That said, props to the Ghost Rider staff member who caught a few jumpers and booted them out the door.

I ended up just riding a few things, walking a bunch of laps, and then bailing — which was more than fine.

4 minutes ago, ryder said:

If the ride crosses the street (or goes under it), that could affect utilities and infrastructure, so of course the city would have to be involved.

I think he meant "why are people, not the park, bothering the city, because absolutely nothing is going to happen."

I was always under the impression that the city had a HARD no rule about stuff involving the public roads.  That's why we've never seen anything try to expand west into the grassy overflow parking lot.  But maybe tunneling technology has improved to the point where it doesn't have to disrupt regular traffic on Beach?

1 hour ago, ryder said:

If the ride crosses the street (or goes under it), that could affect utilities and infrastructure, so of course the city would have to be involved.

To clarify, The city is not in the position to have casual conversation about what plans they may or may not have come.  to us its an awesome out of this world, boner inducing experience to see plans, to them it's just a job. . .

• Like 1

9 hours ago, CedarFlags said:

I was always under the impression that the city had a HARD no rule about stuff involving the public roads.  That's why we've never seen anything try to expand west into the grassy overflow parking lot.  But maybe tunneling technology has improved to the point where it doesn't have to disrupt regular traffic on Beach?

Thats what I always thought that the city wouldnt let them build over/under public streets just think about them closing beach down to dig that tunnel 

Hi everybodee!

In the middle of planning our long awaited return to the US and this time I'll be bringing the wife and daughter instead of my sons.  Anyhoo, one place I want to bring them is Knotts, mainly as my wife is a HUGE Snoopy fan!

It's a good possibility that we could be making it over around late October this year and of course that is Halloween.  There's a good chance we may end up doing the Scary Farm event one night as well like on a Thursday.  When Scary Farm is on, how busy does it get during the day?  I'm guessing the night would be pretty popular and have a fair few people, but what is the daytime compared crowd wise?  We wouldn't be averse to doing the daytime for rides and coming back for Scary Farm to do the mazes (would be our first time ever experiencing anything like this - well except for me doing the walkthrough @ Universal) if this was a beneficial thing to do.

Cheers all.

Historically, Knotts is very quiet on the weekdays during Scary Farm. That said, crowd patterns seem less predictable now than before. Daytime for rides and nighttime for mazes (two separate entries) would likely work well, as long as it's not a weekend.

The other option is to get a Scary Farm fast pass which gets you straight into the mazes and right onto many of the rides.  That makes for a busy night, though.

5 hours ago, disturboed said:

Hi everybodee!

In the middle of planning our long awaited return to the US and this time I'll be bringing the wife and daughter instead of my sons.  Anyhoo, one place I want to bring them is Knotts, mainly as my wife is a HUGE Snoopy fan!

It's a good possibility that we could be making it over around late October this year and of course that is Halloween.  There's a good chance we may end up doing the Scary Farm event one night as well like on a Thursday.  When Scary Farm is on, how busy does it get during the day?  I'm guessing the night would be pretty popular and have a fair few people, but what is the daytime compared crowd wise?  We wouldn't be averse to doing the daytime for rides and coming back for Scary Farm to do the mazes (would be our first time ever experiencing anything like this - well except for me doing the walkthrough @ Universal) if this was a beneficial thing to do.

Cheers all.

the daytime will be pretty slow on a Thursday or Friday in October, should have no trouble getting on rides.  Thursdays are also the lightest crowd days for Scary Farm, but they do pick up a bit as you get closer to Halloween.  One downside is that you do have to exit and re-enter the park, even if you have a ticket for both.

On 5/18/2022 at 9:53 PM, kbfbest said:

Thats what I always thought that the city wouldnt let them build over/under public streets just think about them closing beach down to dig that tunnel 

I don’t think it would be impossible to construct a tunnel under Beach without having to close it.  And if they absolutely had to close it, they could in the middle of the night.

They would absolutely have to close the roadway (or a portion at a time) if they needed to construct a box culvert/bridge in that area for the coaster to pass through. Especially considering that Beach Blvd is a state route maintained by the DOT, the tunnel would require a whole slew of permitting, approvals, and construction phasing on its own by encroaching in the DOT's right-of-way. Whether this all affects the possibility of this project happening is debatable... but yeah, building a coaster under a state road would be complicated.

With that being said, regarding the City's tweets, I guess we just take from that what we will. I'm not sold on this project (or any variation) happening but those drawings also look just a little *too* good to be drawn up by some coaster dorks with spare time. As someone who works in site planning, land development, and roadway - these plans are fun and interesting to dissect no matter how legit they are!

12 hours ago, Animal said:

I don’t think it would be impossible to construct a tunnel under Beach without having to close it.  And if they absolutely had to close it, they could in the middle of the night.

You managed to be wrong twice.

• Like 1

Theme Park Review was invited to Knott’s Summer Nights!

Knott's Summer Nights has started!  It will be on select days throughout the summer.

Ghost Town alive really was alive yesterday.  Knott's seems to have double or tripled the amount of characters walking around the streets.  Characters were seemingly everywhere.  

I mainly like to come to Summer Nights for the food and entertainment.   I wasn't able to stay too long, but I'll be back to watch some bands play.  I did get to see some of the food offerings this year.  Knott's also provided lunch from Mrs. Knott's Chicken Dinner restaurant.   Here's some pics and Knott's press release...

IMG_6582.thumb.jpeg.6096effd2b7ba043ab612e07fb18f55d.jpeg

IMG_6583.thumb.jpeg.cd30eb890ecf71879f57cc97111ae18e.jpeg

IMG_6584.thumb.jpeg.c521c53d1c54313d2780cf3d5fbc8aa3.jpeg

IMG_6586.thumb.jpeg.5addb9ac19ddd6ba480749dfcfcdec1e.jpeg

IMG_6588.thumb.jpeg.a94c1cc48a2d167f67c0329721f8586f.jpeg

IMG_6592.thumb.jpeg.e5b06f1a7ab72f00e5858d9c54109bf3.jpeg

IMG_6593.thumb.jpeg.73440e66b9055d4723fb8a9fa17965d0.jpeg

IMG_6594.thumb.jpeg.0fdaafd9e927ce42b8cf9ece2adba0f0.jpeg

IMG_6595.thumb.jpeg.a018a8646b2e23bb0d85b8c7a067d2bf.jpeg

IMG_6596.thumb.jpeg.2439b87abde50e9517f16641faa23af0.jpeg

IMG_6597.thumb.jpeg.17b7dc013c3e5f11e5d5770a01f33546.jpeg

IMG_6598.thumb.jpeg.0349a4f40921b6a230a1451510fb4430.jpeg

IMG_6599.thumb.jpeg.e8e46650cfbc19d3ace5b3d8be79cbbe.jpeg

IMG_6600.thumb.jpeg.1561f1d844daf1022fc8f5c03a064102.jpeg

IMG_6601.thumb.jpeg.47dddd37acb766e219d2e6614f2568d9.jpeg

IMG_6602.thumb.jpeg.4f4920ee0718a4c4698c13f0e9ed0665.jpeg

IMG_6603.thumb.jpeg.ac3c89fada27dac66175f2b175d68fef.jpeg

IMG_6604.thumb.jpeg.aacf19292f2cbeae87b392723c0db92e.jpeg

IMG_6605.thumb.jpeg.f9259ff72c26855d1688a98076b9facb.jpeg

IMG_6606.thumb.jpeg.aaef9be07b7a32acaad756796214a2dc.jpeg

IMG_6607.thumb.jpeg.cb6bff2da7f7fec309c653f5532b43b9.jpeg

IMG_6608.thumb.jpeg.ad802e96642b1f62841edb5ef1261c80.jpeg

IMG_6609.thumb.jpeg.4c88b7cde0af339b1581b586557b23ab.jpeg

IMG_6610.thumb.jpeg.9cc47bf442f774b73ea560e1527e9988.jpegIMG_6611.thumb.jpeg.6c0f8ecaf24096a0b0e7bcd5a8968f6e.jpeg

IMG_6612.thumb.jpeg.7482b27b36f943d1229d1cef07b7e3a4.jpeg

IMG_6613.thumb.jpeg.ff15ef405538167b43928c652dfa48bc.jpeg

IMG_6614.thumb.jpeg.3ea37ca138264806c3661fe570aa1f22.jpeg

IMG_6615.thumb.jpeg.1429cd5adab00c71993a41fc11b85e6b.jpeg

IMG_6616.thumb.jpeg.e431bab38dad7695c241627df230ee93.jpeg

IMG_6617.thumb.jpeg.fdf6e5ab23330670abb52a12e161773c.jpeg

IMG_6618.thumb.jpeg.ccd4f075eb0d20acade3f9cc3f833554.jpeg

IMG_6619.thumb.jpeg.39aea1e8254442f58364559a71a83d75.jpeg

IMG_6620.thumb.jpeg.14549e6a3b925655a48d6360164d353e.jpeg

IMG_6621.thumb.jpeg.965f0a932923011c449dbbfc75c57ffd.jpeg

IMG_6622.thumb.jpeg.7263803046d120994cbb699686faeb67.jpeg

IMG_6624.thumb.jpeg.73a1f782d15f320a4d9a8a54321e22dc.jpeg

IMG_6625.thumb.jpeg.e6f4184dadd839fc01a442f898e725ef.jpeg

Summertime at Knott’s Berry Farm brings back exciting entertainment with the return of immersive, western escapades in Ghost Town Alive!  This summer, Knott’s is bursting with adventure, both day and night, with Ghost Town Alive!, Knott’s Summer Nights and Knott’s Soak City.

BUENA PARK,CA–There’s something fun for everyone at Knott’s Berry Farm this summer, with original adventures that can’t be found anywhere else. Starting with the exciting return ofGhost Town Alive! with an all-new storyline, the night timeblock party liveliness of Knott’s Summer Nights and Knott’s Soak City Waterpark reopening its gates for another wet and wild summer. There’s only one place to experience fun all day and night and that place is Knott’s Berry Farm.

Ghost Town Alive!

Your favorite town of Calico comes to life once again with the return of the award-winning, interactiveGhost Town Alive!  Two years have passed without a celebration and the citizens are determined to make this year’s return a great one.  Guests are invited to become the star of this summer’s new action-packed storyline in the streets of Ghost Town. Each guest has the power to unlock secret missions with characters, influence the day’s events, and take on mind-challenging puzzles in this immersive version of the Old West.  Ghost Town Alive! will offer new adventures, roles and characters this summer on select days startingMay 20.

Summertime Entertainment

Venture into Fiesta Village to be charmed by the colorful and light-hearted showing of Alegre! by theBob Baker Marionettes, a Southern California treasure since 1963.  The entertainment continues with sounds from South of the Border as the Mariachi Angelitas present a lively show filled with rich history and tradition.While in Boardwalk, tune into the coolest station on the dial as our resident K-NOT Radio DJs are back to keep you up to date on all the happenings!

A trip to Knott’s isn’t complete without checking out the shenanigans of Krazy Kirk and the Hillbillies in the Wagon Camp.  Grab a seat for the most toe tappin’ and downright funniest band of musicians this side of the Calico Mine.  Also in Ghost Town is Miss Cameo Kate’s Western Burle-Q Revue at the legendary Bird Cage Theatre. Miss Cameo Kate returns to the World-Famous Birdcage Saloon, bringing with her a vibrant travelin’ troupe of singers, dancers and tuneful musicians who perform a daily rip-roarin’ western musical can-can revue.

Knott’s Summer Nights

The summer adventure continues long after the sun goes down, with a nighttime summer party that will liven up the evening.  Knott’s Summer Nights offers a variety of live music, classic summer eats and games for the whole family to enjoy. Guests will have the opportunity to enjoy a variety of top 40’s bands that rotate throughout the event at the Calico Mine Stage. Those in attendance can also choose between bopping to the beats of the Boardwalk DJs around Charleston Circle Fountain or jamming out to an array of bands, including the genres of Latin, Reggae and Zydeco all performing at Calico ParkStage. Classic backyard games and festoon lighting will set the stage for guests to enjoy their summer nights at Knott’s. The Party Planning Crew of Summer Nights encourages good ol’ fashion fun and games that keep the party going all night.  A summer night party is not complete without an abundance of food and drinks, and no theme park does food quite like Knott’s.  The Knott’s culinary team creates tasty twists to classic summer dishes, from Crab Cake Sliders and Korean BBQ Burgers to Vegan Lettuce Wraps–not to mention Peach and Pineapple Shaved Ice.  Guests can experience their favorite summer food in a whole new way at Knott’s Summer Nights.  A great way to indulge in all the new food items is by purchasing a tasting card priced at$50 (or $45for season pass holders).  The tasting card will offer six tastings from a selection of over two dozen seasonal-inspired dishes and drinks.  With a hub of live music, unique summer food offerings, Instagram-able photo opportunities, interactive experiences and family-friendly games, Knott’s SummerNights will be an event to remember.

• Like 2

Great look at everything available during the Knott's Ghost Town Alive days and the Summer Nights, too.

By the way ...... Hatch Chilis? Are they 'hot' ones, or less so? Just curious, as I'd never heard of them, till now.

EDIT to add: I looked them up. So, they come from New Mexico and are (usually) roasted. Neat! 🌮

Per an Orange County Register article on June 9th, Knott's has announced that they currently have no plans to add a giga or hyper coaster in  the near future.   It might be hard to access the article behind the paywall but the short story is no new big coaster for a while. 

There is another article on the site from June 7th, saying Xcelerator is waiting on parts from Europe and there is no set re-opening date.

https://www.ocregister.com/2022/06/09/knotts-berry-farm-shoots-down-giga-coaster-speculation/

https://www.ocregister.com/2022/06/07/when-will-knotts-berry-farm-reopen-the-xcelerator-coaster/

12 minutes ago, SoCalJasonland said:

Per an Orange County Register article on June 9th, Knott's has announced that they currently have no plans to add a giga or hyper coaster in  the near future.   It might be hard to access the article behind the paywall but the short story is no new big coaster for a while. 

There is another article on the site from June 7th, saying Xcelerator is waiting on parts from Europe and there is no set re-opening date.

https://www.ocregister.com/2022/06/09/knotts-berry-farm-shoots-down-giga-coaster-speculation/

https://www.ocregister.com/2022/06/07/when-will-knotts-berry-farm-reopen-the-xcelerator-coaster/

Not surprised by either announcement tbh.

Also, this is the same thing happened to Xcel in 2017/2018, and the same thing that happened to Hangtime last year.  Knott's really needs to figure out a way to stock some more replacement pieces rather than having rides be down for months on end because they need stuff shipped from Intamin/Gerstlauer.

• Like 2