TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Knott's Berry Farm (KBF) Discussion Thread

P. 651: Montezooma's Revenge project terminated?

Also think about the fact that Knotts has been opening at 8am on weekends and the last two weeks that is a new thing and the neighbors haven't said anything to make them change the opening later.. so rides and etc need to start to testing before 7am. 

^I was thinking the same thing. Knott's has greatly expanded their hours, particularly during these holiday weeks, with very early openings and late closings. And while a giga coaster with such proximity to homes and roads does pose a concern that I'm sure the park has addressed, it's not like the park is currently silent and peaceful. Xcelerator is right at the edge of the park and is quite noisy, and Montezooma's loop can be heard from way out in the parking lot.

Even though it is not official yet, I am stoked the park is even considering this. HangTime was a wonderful addition, and the Boardwalk expansion back in 2013 was also nice to spread out the family rides in the park, but a coaster like this is always what I wanted for the park. There would be nothing like it out west and it would have a great capacity that the park desperately needs. Some sightlines in Ghost Town would be affected but with almost all of the coaster away from the rest of the park I think the impact on theming/atmosphere would be minimal. The parking garage is a huge plus too.

Spent the day at Knott's yesterday. My daughter and I were there for rope drop. Got Coast Rider (only thing running right at 8), Hangtime, Xcelerator, Montezooma's Revenge,  Silver Bullet, and Jaguar before 9:30. Then we got in line for Ghost Rider. Line was painfully slow, so we bailed and I got my FL and rode it solo. Also did Pony Express for no real reason. Coaster lines were starting to get ridiculous and I wasn't springing for another FL since we couldn't stay very long. So we rode the train and the Sky Cabin. Then we walked around and took some pics. The snow covered mountains in the distance were quite the view!

I'll try to follow up with trip reports this week. We ended up doing SWSD, SFDK, CGA, SFMM, and Knott's this trip.

15 hours ago, TopThrill182 said:

Thanks very much for the insight!

I was confused by all the “the neighbors won’t allow this” comments given that, as you say, my vague understanding is that individual homeowners can’t do much to block a land use that is a) legal and b) supported by the larger community as represented by a city council. (Neighborhood councils exist in LA; are they not a thing in OC?)

I also don’t see why Knott’s would waste anyone’s time or money designing improvements for un-improvable areas, so I assume the park thinks this can work (perhaps with reasonable noise mitigation efforts in an effort to be a good neighbor).

Of course, whether Knott’s ultimately wants this coaster is another question. I’m trying not to get excited until the coaster is actually announced, but I’m happy the park is at least contemplating what we all want, and what would be a FANTASTIC addition to the park! 

Knotts has their own small team for design and construction.  If these plans are legit, it looks like it was their version that got leaked. They do general plotting and then leave it to the actual ride firm engineers to do the real technical engineering and will serve as the project managers for the construction.

Knott's Berry Farm has announced that Montezooma's Revenge will undergo major renovations starting on January 10th, 2022. The updated attraction will open in 2023 with more details to be released in the future.

kbf-banner-montezoomas-revenge.thumb.jpeg.5031ddede34b808f8e5ec4a06c00cc77.jpeg

https://www.knotts.com/rides-experiences/montezoomas-revenge

Montezooma’s Revenge will close on January 10, 2022, as major renovations will be taking place to this historic coaster. This flywheel-launched shuttle coaster was the first of its kind and will be upgraded with exciting changes while keeping the ride’s unique charm that our guests have loved for generations. Stay tuned for more information later this year. The new Montezooma’s Revenge is scheduled to open in 2023.

• Like 2

That is cool. I just rode this Sunday and it ran great. I hadn't ridden a Schwarzkopf shuttle looper since Carowinds lost White Lightnin' in 1988. I explained to my daughter that it was the OG launch coaster.

Nice to see Knott's showing Monte some love and hopefully this will keep it around for many years to come.  Monte was first upside-down coaster and it was all my kids' first as well.  I wonder if they are going to do anything to the flywheel launch?  I'd hate to see it go as I'm pretty sure it's the last one left in North America.

They better not put in LSMs... the ride is pointless w/ LSMs as they are so much more powerful than the weight drop. Im sure Intamin can provide a new weight drop system. 

Its a swarzkopf product, brilliant SIMPLE engineering. IMO there is virtually no reason to remove any Swarzkopf looper except for space reasons. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Those layouts look like proposals from two manufacturers. We know at least one of them is B&M. The other is Mack or Intamin. 

The one on the left looks like B&M because of the turnaround - looks like the same as Shambhala. The layout on the right seems Mackish because it reminds me of that purple joker? hyper in australia that - im not looking the name up. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, rachelmadcow said:

They better not put in LSMs... the ride is pointless w/ LSMs as they are so much more powerful than the weight drop. Im sure Intamin can provide a new weight drop system. 

Its a swarzkopf product, brilliant SIMPLE engineering. IMO there is virtually no reason to remove any Swarzkopf looper except for space reasons. 

Monty doesn't use the weight tower method. Regardless, I think they could 100% match the speed and force of the launch. I can't see how that makes the ride pointless... Even if acceleration force was completely different. 

If had to take a guess, I would say a new LSM launch system/braking and new trains.

I have a very close connection to Montezooma. It was my first launched coaster, first looping coaster, and really my first "big" coaster ever. I am thrilled the park is choosing to upgrade, modernize, and maintain this ride when they could easily scrap it. It's a 44 year old Schwarzkopf (that has operated year-round, might I add), they could so easily say "it has reached the end of its service life, bye." Such great news!

Super glad I got out there last month an rode it in its original form.  That said, the launch was kinda disappointing, so hopefully this makes it a little more intense.  This probably will be the Gerstlauer LSM treatment, just like Psyke Underground at Walabi Belgium got in 2013.

People still love Psyke Underground and it got a linear motor retrofit and new trains from Gerstlauer.

Montezooma's Revenge will be fine.

• Like 1

I hope the whole re-do is successful for Monte. The shuttle coaster is a real rarity these days.

I've been lucky to ride at least 5 (? probably more) of them, including the one in Astroworld (RIP), and the one in Mexico City's La Feria park.

It's design and running, has really made it one of my favourite all-time coasters in the world.

p.s. An instant adrenaline rush is an awesome thing - no matter how the speed varies. IMhO.

tidalwave.jpg.ae3544b763ae5b7415fd1091deaa7114.jpg

My first one ~ Tidal Wave, way back when. EDIT: And both systems RAWK!

6 hours ago, rachelmadcow said:

That moment when you show the class you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. MR is a fly-wheel launch, not catapult (aka "weight drop launch"). FFS, you can't even spell Schwarzkopf correctly.

• Like 1

I have confidence that Knott's will do a good job, no doubt about that. Kinda wish they had given a little more heads up about it, as it will be closed for a year it sounds like, with only 3 days notice. While I hope it isn't a replacement of the flywheel with the LIM/magnets launch, I would rather them replace the launch system than loose the ride. Whatever they do I hope it helps the ride ZOOM into the future...

• Like 2

On 1/2/2022 at 7:31 PM, Nrthwnd said:

Can I get a small house nearby, for my yearly visits to Knott's? And right beside that new coaster would be just fine.

This is the plan we need. All enthusiasts pool all the $ they have and buy as many houses near by to try and lobby that it will be ok to build lol 

Ha nah pooling all our $ can buy what 2 SoCal homes? XD :(

Very interesting news with MR. Wonder what the renovations will be for such a simple ride. Very glad they are keeping it though. We need to keep every classic Schwarzkopf there is! 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, JJLehto said:

This is the plan we need. All enthusiasts pool all the $ they have and buy as many houses near by to try and lobby that it will be ok to build lol 

Ha nah pooling all our $ can buy what 2 SoCal homes? XD :(

We would be the nearby neighbors that wouldn't complain about the noise!