TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Knott's Berry Farm (KBF) Discussion Thread

P. 651: Montezooma's Revenge project terminated?

Please let the renewed giga rumor be true!

I know roller coaster fans want gigas everywhere, but I sincerely think a traditional out and back giga (or hyper) makes a lot of business sense for Knott's.

The park is highly attended, with a large thrill seeking base, and I think a tall, inversion-less, out and back steel coaster is a marketable hole. Plus, I think another high capacity B&M (presumably) coaster would really improve the overall guest experience on busy days. And a parking lot layout seems to render the "loss of charm" concerns moot. 

Separately, I like PE's new paint job. I think it gives the ride a more natural look, which has always been what I enjoy about the ride (that it really feels like riding a horse through a western terrain). 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TopThrill182 said:

Please let the renewed giga rumor be true!

I know roller coaster fans want gigas everywhere, but I sincerely think a traditional out and back giga (or hyper) makes a lot of business sense for Knott's.

The park is highly attended, with a large thrill seeking base, and I think a tall, inversion-less, out and back steel coaster is a marketable hole. Plus, I think another high capacity B&M (presumably) coaster would really improve the overall guest experience on busy days. And a parking lot layout seems to render the "loss of charm" concerns moot. 

Separately, I like PE's new paint job. I think it gives the ride a more natural look, which has always been what I enjoy about the ride (that it really feels like riding a horse through a western terrain). 

Agreed the out and back to the parking lot wouldn’t harm any of the charm. And knowing Cedar fair and Knotts it won’t be a parking lot coaster like Scream at SFMM.

I’m really hoping that if it does go where Mystery Lodge is they will keep the same rock waterfall entrance it currently has. It would be a bummer to lose that but if we get a giga and it has to go, ADIOS!!!

I saw it testing last night on the video and it is no longer on the list., so I am going to have to go today and check.  I think all the coasters are working again!

https://www.knotts.com/scheduled-ride-closures

RIDE CLOSURES

Attractions and their availability is subject to change without notice.

Closed Rides:

Pig Pen's Mud Buggies

Wipeout

• Like 1

13 hours ago, jarmor said:

Technically isn't ghostrider and out and back parking lot backstage area coaster!?

Yes, they ripped out a lot of backstage buildings and had it cross grand avenue to the parking lot on the other side to make it fit. If the giga/hyper is built I see them doing something similar.

4 hours ago, Nrthwnd said:

^ Soooo, did you try one of the happy, happy, joy, joy .....s?

I think I would go for the Margarita mix, myself. 🎄

I thought the Jack and Coke was decent for an amusement park pre-mixed cocktail, but the Margarita was very tart to me.  I really wish they were able to sell the chicken restaurant boysenberry mojitos in the park.  Its not really that far to go get a couple though.

Xcelerator The Ride has been added to the ride closures from (Nov. 29 - Dec. 17)

I hope the crowds today aren't indicative of what is in store for the holidays.  It was one of those walk around and maybe catch a flat ride or two type of days.

35474968_Screenshot_20211111-185303_KnottsBerryFarm.thumb.jpg.5743d66b22c0557ce46fa7f2e5c36965.jpg

11 hours ago, SoCalJasonland said:

I thought the Jack and Coke was decent for an amusement park pre-mixed cocktail, but the Margarita was very tart to me.  I really wish they were able to sell the chicken restaurant boysenberry mojitos in the park.  Its not really that far to go get a couple though.

Xcelerator The Ride has been added to the ride closures from (Nov. 29 - Dec. 17)

I hope the crowds today aren't indicative of what is in store for the holidays.  It was one of those walk around and maybe catch a flat ride or two type of days.

35474968_Screenshot_20211111-185303_KnottsBerryFarm.thumb.jpg.5743d66b22c0557ce46fa7f2e5c36965.jpg

Wow...this has been an intensely busy season for Knott's...I miss the first few weeks of re-opening when you could just ride coasters all day with no worries.

I'm going tonight from 6-10pm hoping the crowds will be much less than yesterday.

17 minutes ago, ryder said:

Wasn't yesterday the day military got in free?  If so, that would explain the massive crowds. 

The military appreciation discount, extended hours from 10 - 10, and that it was a holiday for some people helped make it packed.  The military appreciation days have been extended to Mon - Thur. over several weeks, so I thought that would spread out the crowds.  I guess that didn't work because Wednesday had half the coasters dispatching with some empty rows while Thur. had lines out of the entrance of almost every queue.  There must have been something free for military because it was packed Thursday like a Saturday in July.

19 hours ago, SoCalJasonland said:

Looks like a park that deserves a giant investment from its owners….. something like a giga coaster 🤔🤔🤔🤔😃😃😃😃

• Like 1

I don't think there is any denying that the need for a hyper/giga has always been there. The park's attendance is one of the highest, and Cedar Fair loves this park and continually invests in it. And they could really use a high-capacity roller coaster. Everything in the park has mediocre-to-bad capacity except Silver Bullet. Another large B&M with 2 or 3 train operation would do wonders for spreading out crowds and accommodating the large attendance on some of those insanely busy days like Veteran's Day.

• Like 3

Out of curiosity does Knotts have to present their plans to the city of Buena Park any time they want to build something? I know Seaworld SD does to San Diego, that’s how all of their coasters are essentially announced. If so, wouldn’t someone have caught plans for a 300 foot coaster coming?? 

On 11/13/2021 at 7:32 AM, thrillseeker4552 said:

I don't think there is any denying that the need for a hyper/giga has always been there. The park's attendance is one of the highest, and Cedar Fair loves this park and continually invests in it. And they could really use a high-capacity roller coaster. Everything in the park has mediocre-to-bad capacity except Silver Bullet. Another large B&M with 2 or 3 train operation would do wonders for spreading out crowds and accommodating the large attendance on some of those insanely busy days like Veteran's Day.

Agree with this, but also a huge culprit for lines are the ops. I think I have spent more time on Ghostriders brake run than actually riding it, and it's a crazy long ride... Xcelerator ops are the worst but I am not sure if that has anything to do with how many launches the ride can handle in X amount of time?

On 11/13/2021 at 8:33 AM, Animal said:

Out of curiosity does Knotts have to present their plans to the city of Buena Park any time they want to build something? I know Seaworld SD does to San Diego, that’s how all of their coasters are essentially announced. If so, wouldn’t someone have caught plans for a 300 foot coaster coming?? 

Yes, they do. They pulled the permit for Hangtime about 9 months before it opened. Obviously, a hyper/giga coaster is a larger project than Hangtime and will take longer to construct, so I would imagine that permits for a 2023 hyper/giga would be pulled within the next few months - if it's actually happening.

Thanks for the photos. I am stoked for this repaint. I have some relatives who literally refer to the ride as "pink" because that is how well-known the faded color is. Only my earliest memory of visiting the park (circa 2004 when Silver Bullet was under construction) do I remember Xcelerator being remotely red! This is going to look so good.

EEBC0FC1-D4A3-410F-BD5C-99A7CB2B2077.thumb.jpeg.8b0a6a88123b4f368c9ad1b5cd4967fd.jpeg

Going back to the Giga speculation, does anyone know what this building is? They finished building it just before the pandemic. It looks like a replacement building for something in the current backstage further leading me to believe they are trying to create some space back there. It’s a large barn looking building, that could be offices or storage space.