TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Knott's Berry Farm (KBF) Discussion Thread

P. 651: Montezooma's Revenge project terminated?

^ If that were true then the prices for Scary Farm wouldn't be at a large premium.  See below -

Saturday, October 9th prices per their website -

Knott's Daytime - $59 admission, $99 Fast Lane, $20 parking

Knott's Scary Farm - $77 admission, $159 Fright & Fast Lane, $25 parking

But yeah, sure, I'm totally paying for haunt, not rides.  Come on, man.  In years past I've been able to enjoy Scary Farm with Fright Lane and the Boo-fet for $150-ish.  Without the Boo-fet this year I'm already getting shafted for $236 before parking.

Edit - You know, after doing that math and knowing I'll only be seeing one new haunt, one new scare zone, and two less coasters it really pisses me off.

36 minutes ago, KBrylczyk said:

^ If that were true then the prices for Scary Farm wouldn't be at a large premium.  See below -

But yeah, sure, I'm totally paying for haunt, not rides.  Come on, man.  In years past I've been able to enjoy Scary Farm with Fright Lane and the Boo-fet for $150-ish.  Without the Boo-fet this year I'm already getting shafted for $236 before parking.

Edit - You know, after doing that math and knowing I'll only be seeing one new haunt, one new scare zone, and two less coasters it really pisses me off.

You're also going on a Saturday.  These events always have variable pricing and there are cheaper options available if you don't want to spend $200.

And like... if parks had to give discounts whenever a ride went down, it would be chaos.  Go there for the event and the experience as a whole. 

1)  It's all still way cheaper than HHN, which is about $350-400 more for the same experience you're paying for at Knott's, and that has way less shows and rides to go on.  Welcome to the SoCal haunt market. 

2)  Go earlier in the season when prices are cheaper

3)  Rides go down all the time, often for extended periods.  Think of all the times TTD was down at CP, or all those people who paid for a full price Disneyland admission just to ride Rise and/or Spiderman, only to have both go down all day or be unable to get into the virtual queue.  There's no real compensation for any of these situations.  I mean, at least this time, you know they'll be down in advance.  If it's that much of a dealbreaker, maybe consider coming another year.

4)  In terms of the Fastlane on mazes, you'll totally get your money's worth.  We never waited more than 10 minutes for any maze on a busy Saturday night.

5)  The Fastlane probably won't help much on the rides away... the FL line for Ghostrider when I went that same Saturday night for Haunt went from the exit of the ride all the way back to the Spurs restaurant.  It had to be at least an hour wait or more.  Similar stories for log ride and Calico Mine Train, they were also pretty long Fastlane lines.  If you really want to do the rides, go to the park during the day early in the morning, and you likely won't need a Fastlane at all if you plan correctly.

Knott's is selling a lot of the decorations from the 100th anniversary.  It went on sale this morning.  I just wanted a couple things and was able to get them.  The ticket was displayed in Virginia's displays.  I don't think there were that many of them.  The other sign is from the Roaring 20's.  The ticket was $40 and the other K sign was $55.  Total after Platinum discount was $81.89.    I'll also add some pics from a few days before the sale. 

IMG_0946.thumb.jpeg.96b33c6785f6000166d87faa8e7d7f6d.jpeg

IMG_0947.thumb.jpeg.6cccb23ac374cafb22a81b4133704a3f.jpeg

IMG_0948.thumb.jpeg.efb34ad41bf76543016408c84db40196.jpeg

IMG_0807.thumb.jpeg.715c196da6759ab68de1fb327a75bd3d.jpeg

IMG_0806.thumb.jpeg.0d6d188d72500ca2609535616e6441e1.jpeg

IMG_0805.thumb.jpeg.74558a1a9bd25b3574ef9de89ea8cdda.jpeg

IMG_0802.thumb.jpeg.f16b7457e3083be0dafd90398e28737e.jpeg

IMG_0804.thumb.jpeg.e137a9be665a14bf1c9ae7102c8f5ac9.jpeg

IMG_0803.thumb.jpeg.c7f4b7eabc08e054f666cf3f740bb93d.jpeg

On 8/16/2021 at 10:31 PM, Animal said:

I saw that for 2022 Knott's will be getting their hotel renovated, which is great news because the place is kind of a dump!  With $200 million being invested by Cedar Fair for 2022 and no real new rides coming I wonder how much will be put into the Knott’s hotel? Correct me if I’m wrong but I don’t believe Knott’s built this hotel. I think they bought an existing one, slapped their name on it, hung pictures of their rides in the rooms and called it a day. Here’s hoping they really go all out and try to transform this into something really nice and unique and complete the Knott’s “resort.” 🤞

I've stayed there a couple of times in the past and never had a problem. The second time I stayed there the rooms were slightly refreshed with better bedding. It's not the Hotel Breakers at Cedar Point but its not priced like that either. I've stayed there for around $100/night during WCB in the past and its priced more like Breakers Express. While the hotel could use a makeover like Hotel Breakers did I wouldn't call it a dump. You're right that it wasn't built by Knott's and they acquired it - it was a Radisson originally I believe. Down the road at Disneyland the Paradise Pier Hotel was also acquired by Disney and they also slapped on a few things and called it a day. It looks like a 1980s/1990s Hilton at best (at least the lobby, I've never actually stayed in the rooms) and should be classified as a moderate resort at best but they are charging prices similar to some deluxe resorts at WDW.

On 10/4/2021 at 2:04 PM, KBrylczyk said:

https://www.knotts.com/scheduled-ride-closures

Just checked, both Xcelerator and Hang Time are still listed as dead in the water.  I'm gonna be at Scary Farm this Saturday and, I'll be honest, I'll be a bit miffed about spending upwards of $200 $236(!!!) and not being able to ride either.  I'm well aware that they can't control when things break but, you know, give us a break on the price if the two star attractions are out of commission.  I just checked out The Old Joliet Haunted Prison outside of Chicago this past weekend and they gave the guests who purchased the Fastpass entry free zombie laser tag because there was no difference in wait between standby and Fastpass.  Something small like that goes a VERY long way towards making people happy.

I hear you. I may have to miss Scary Farm this year due to my work schedule unless I get someone to cover for me on Halloween night but it will be easier knowing both Xcelerator and Hang Time will be closed and only one maze is new with no Hanging nor Special Ops Infected this year. It's going to be a dead zone by the Boardwalk with both Hang Time and Xcelerator closed and packed between Calico Mine Ride and Timber Mountain Log Ride as well as by Ghostrider. If I were splurging on Fright Lane I would want at least two of the three open for the Ghostrider, Xcelerator, and Hang Time trio but preferably all three. I still love Knott's Scary Farm but I know it will only be better next year with at least two new for me mazes plus a better chance of most of the major headlining rides being open.

On 10/5/2021 at 9:18 PM, KBrylczyk said:

It’s almost as if it’s a special event that only happens during a certain time every year and not daytime operation which is available to you 365 days a year, thus there is less demand and much more supply for daytime. 

You’re on this board. You know how special events at parks work.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hell has frozen over, everyone. Not only is Tatsu getting repainted but so is Xcelerator.

I had a bet with myself about whether Tatsu or Xcelerator would get repainted first, I guess I never considered simultaneously. I wonder if this gray is a primer (probably) or a final track color. It looks shiny - I don't think it's just raw track where the pink was blasted away, but it could be.

Photo credits to @Ryanthemepark on Twitter

FDXbShzVIBI_iIk.jpeg

FDXbTCnVIBkKcqK.jpeg

• Like 1

It seems like commercial painting companies that generally paint coasters were probably hurting this year with parks trying to save money and offered everyone great prices that they all jumped on at once.

Tons of parks are randomly painting rides at the exact same time, and a lot of those companies are rarely willing to paint anything. Xcelerator, Tatsu, Bizarro, Sidewinder, SooperDooperLooper, Cheetah Hunt (with no warning during their busy Haunt season), Manta, Kraken... it can't be a coincidence. Thanksfuly Nitro still isn't being painted or I'd worry that the Universe was about to be knocked totally out-of-whack.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

31 minutes ago, SharkTums said:

^Does that mean the ride is down again?  

Xcelerator was running both trains during the day and during Scary Farm the last few weeks.  It's not listed on the ride closures, so they maybe they are painting it after hours?  If they do close it for painting, now is a good time to get it done before Merry Farm starts up.

I will add that when they re-painted Silver Bullet and Sierra Sidewinder in early 2014, neither ride shut down at all. However when they painted Montezooma orange in early 2017, I believe they shut it down, but I could be remembering incorrectly.

And yeah, tons of coasters are being painted at the moment. Don't forget Mr. Freeze at SFOT being painted back to blue as well! Coasters will be shining next year!

1 hour ago, Rusty Nail said:

Pony Express is also being repainted, and repair work is finally happening on Hangtime.

sad i go every day and didn't even know until a friend told me they did.  i looked today and sure enough.  kind of looks like a quikie job, but whatever.  if you listen to some, hangtime was supposed to open tomorrow, then monday.  who knows.  i just know not all of the chain is installed right now.  i'm not sure if you just replace or repair a chain and you open the ride right away or not.  but we have to be really close either way.   i did notice xcelerator not open this morning and just assumed it was just a late opening since i saw a mechanic up there.  

3D7F1B7E-396E-4134-8F54-8BBDC4AE4CF0.thumb.jpeg.95cb012fae0088fcd203781c8f49c55d.jpeg

whatever they were waiting for is clearly here now based on the lid of the wooden crate in the station. Still being worked on.

edit: after doing another lap, the ride has successfully cycled.

390E5B84-8180-453A-8F21-72B444F31709.thumb.jpeg.f9b4b9688cb609a01104087e3c13c75a.jpeg

park is packed today. Xcelerator is open. Got my boysenberry beer and stuck around just long enough to snag the first photo of the ride cycling on my way out the western gate

• Like 1

The long rumored Giga coaster seems to be back in the mix again for 2023. Is it finally time this actually happens??? Personally I don’t see it happening but I sure am praying it does. If they use the rumored space in the back where mystery lodge is and have it head out the back parking lot it shouldn’t disrupt too much of the park inside. Fingers crossed!

Another parking lot coaster, perhaps? :airtime:

EDIT To Add: Also, it would be absolutely awesome if any park that had such a coaster (Hey SF:MM, looking at you) that stretches over a parking lot, hire an artist or artists together, to paint and create a 3D "painting" under the coaster. With water proof paint, of course! I really think there could and would some very trippy images the riders would catch a glimpse of, as they roar by ... or into, heh.

And call it The World's First ART-Coaster. 😉 Just a thought. (Exhales....)

I would be extremely impressed if the park (and B&M, presumably) managed to squeeze in a Hyper, much less a Giga. Not only would the coaster have to maneuver around the existing maintenance buildings and roadways, but it would have to not disturb the hotel to the east or the residents and businesses to the west and south. I suppose the good news with this potential location is that it will not disturb the theming and atmosphere of Ghost Town / Wilderness at all. They could easily theme the station and queue to fit right in to the area and have the coaster itself be completely away from the park.

I really don't want to get my hopes up, as much as I (and literally everybody) wants this. Cedar Fair also said somewhat recently that no major capital additions are planned as a result of COVID, but with so many parks bouncing back and still adding coasters perhaps that could've changed. I will always be skeptical of this project until it is announced.

• Like 2