TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Knott's Berry Farm (KBF) Discussion Thread

P. 651: Montezooma's Revenge project terminated?

4 hours ago, KBrylczyk said:

Not anymore.  That's the exact reason the capacity went to shit.  They removed the MCBR and now the train in the station must wait for the train on the track to clear the final brake run before it can dispatch.  It's a blessing and a curse.  Blessing because we get the incredible airtime back for the second half.  A curse because a three-train wait is now a half hour.

They actually added the MCBR back sometime in 2018 or 2019. It doesn't grab the train, so you roll right through it and the ride hasn't changed. But the brake fins are there.

Even on the original GhostRider, they almost never dispatched a train while the other was finishing the course - it still stacked. I think the decrease in train capacity from 28 to 24 riders actually makes quite the difference. If they removed the cubbies and mandated locker use, that would help significantly with the stacking. They can still dispatch a train before the train clears the final brake. It just can't drop off the lift until then (assuming the "new" MCBR is just a trim, though it looks like it can easily stop the train in the event of an E-stop).

Ideally we would have three trains, no seat belts, and mandatory lockers. But that won't ever happen...

^ Thanks for the insight!

Other than “laziness,” is there a reason why the ride went down to two trains after the refurbishment? And are two always in service, or does the ride reduce to one train ops during the off season for maintenance reasons? 

For such a busy year-round park, I’m surprised CF wouldn’t have invested in three trains if it could’ve meaningfully helped.  Even CP’s converted Rougarou got three new trains, which is two too many most days.

Still, even before Ghostrider’s refurbishment, the line always seemed to crawl to me.

^GhostRider has three trains (silver, bronze, gold), but only ever runs 2 at a time. Single train ops is a little rare. Usually only on absolutely dead days, like weekdays in February or something, where 2 trains isn't even worth it. But there are exceptions to this - I have seen people report single train ops on busy days.

I really love Knott's and am proud to call it my true home park having grown up in the area, but the capacity of the rides really doesn't support the attendance the park gets - especially Xcelerator, which I think is the worse line in the park when it's long. Silver Bullet is the only high capacity coaster in the park (Calico Mine Ride also eats people). Everything else ranges from mediocre to atrocious.

19 hours ago, TopThrill182 said:

^ Thanks for the insight!

Other than “laziness,” is there a reason why the ride went down to two trains after the refurbishment? And are two always in service, or does the ride reduce to one train ops during the off season for maintenance reasons? 

For such a busy year-round park, I’m surprised CF wouldn’t have invested in three trains if it could’ve meaningfully helped.  Even CP’s converted Rougarou got three new trains, which is two too many most days.

Still, even before Ghostrider’s refurbishment, the line always seemed to crawl to me.

It has 3 trains and pretty much always runs 2.  They used to run 1 train on slow days, but that seems to be more rare recently.  1 train ops on GhostRider is hell though because the ride is just so long.  On a day where every other ride was a 5-10 minute wait, I waited 30 minutes for GhostRider and there were only 5 cycles worth of people in front of me.

Also... we live in a different world than we did in 1998 when it comes to loose items.  First off, Everybody carries a $1000 computer in their pocket that they need to put away before every ride.  There are exceedingly few people who can just walk thru a gate and sit down,.  Secondly, CF has developed one of the most aggressive loose item policies of the major chains.   I vividly remember being able to bring a backpack onto most rides by just putting it on the floor and sticking my legs thru the straps.   Now Knott's wont even allow shirts tied around the waist anymore because they're "loose items".

18 hours ago, thrillseeker4552 said:

^I really love Knott's and am proud to call it my true home park having grown up in the area, but the capacity of the rides really doesn't support the attendance the park gets - especially Xcelerator, which I think is the worse line in the park when it's long. Silver Bullet is the only high capacity coaster in the park (Calico Mine Ride also eats people). Everything else ranges from mediocre to atrocious.

Big same.  I had high hopes for Hangtime that maybe they could squeeze out shorter dispatches with fewer riders to handle, but.... nope.

BUENA PARK (CBSLA) – Police are on the scene at Knott’s Berry Farm Amusement Park where a man climbed 250 feet up the Supreme Scream ride and is refused to come down for a time.

Officials said the call about the incident came in around 7:30 p.m.

Police said the man came down safely and, according to CBSLA’s Rick Montanez, the man is being detained.

Buena Park Police and the Orange County Fire Authority have cordoned off La Palma Avenue between Beach and Western. Officials at the theme park have turned off all rides.

It is unclear whether or not the park is closed. Officials from Knott’s Berry Farm have yet to comment.

According to a man who spoke with CBSLA, identified only as Jacob, the climber got to the top of Supreme Scream, took his shirt off and began twirling it around and that the area was “really chaotic. It took us a long time to get out of the park.”

Source

• Confused 1

Went to Knott's for the first time yesterday and really enjoyed myself. I love the atmosphere and the food is amazing. Ride operations left a bit to be desired but I had Fast Lane so this wasn't a huge issue.

I met the Alveys in the morning by Ghost Rider which was really cool. Robb, if you see this, this is Josh :)

My ride count went like this

Ghost Rider - x2
Sierra Sidewinder - x1
Montezooma's Revenge - x1
Xcelerator - x5
Supreme Scream - x1
Pony Express - x1
Coast Rider - x1
Silver Bullet - x2
Jaguar - x1

Xcelerator was everything I hoped it would be. Incredible launch, amazing top hat, breathtaking speed, and forceful turns. I had a big smile after all 5 laps and every time I passed by the entrance I had to take it for another ride. I can't decide if the front or back seats were better, both were just awesome.

Ghost Rider was a little underwhelming at 10 AM in row 2, but a second ride later in the day in the back was excellent. As relentless as it is, I was shocked by how smooth it ran. The airtime and laterals are unforgettable and I wish I got a third ride in.

My favorite coaster type is the B&M invert and for years I've been told that Silver Bullet is one of the weakest, but after two back seat rides I'm at a loss for why. I wouldn't compare it to the likes of Montu or Nemesis, but this was forceful in every element. I grayed out multiple times and by the end I was left more disoriented than I have been on most Batman clones. Overall this is one of the more underrated coasters I've ridden; it was draining and I loved it.

Montezooma's Revenge was a lot of fun and I wish I rode it a second time. The launch was better than i expected and I love a good Schwarzkopf vertical loop.

HangTime was closed for maintenance so hopefully I'll ride it whenever my second visit is.

Sierra Sidewinder was a fun little ride, Jaguar was okay but I'm 6'3" so I had to shoehorn myself in, and Pony Express was interesting but there isn't a whole lot too it.

Coast Rider was the only ride I really disliked. The shin guards left marks and this is the rare occasion of a wild mouse that I wish was more trimmed. At least I didn't wait in a long line for it.

Some of my favorite photos I took:

20210728_102637.thumb.jpg.2232c0d85d55a712a5dfd1aa1d106376.jpg20210728_105021.thumb.jpg.1b2d8bea68af86b804455877111662b0.jpg20210728_122557.thumb.jpg.c082b3a48e8c8390fc51f065c29dec4f.jpg20210728_125454.thumb.jpg.23692a0a22acab1a261cdc001fe7bda7.jpg20210728_130850.thumb.jpg.cda23bdb09b07813861105e16fce912d.jpg20210728_141402.thumb.jpg.40e977b13059ff5357d85247e3d52f8e.jpg20210728_155341.thumb.jpg.0de21de5c1ea7c46f58977c5b7db86fc.jpg20210728_125727.thumb.jpg.b66c7f70d74e263170cf31656d9be37b.jpg

14 minutes ago, bert425 said:

^ no pic of you with the Alveys?

but nice pics otherwise.

Robb got one but I forgot to ask for one on my phone in the moment. I was hoping to see them later in the day but we didn't run into each other again

6 hours ago, CedarFlags said:

Ladies and Gents we have a NEW SCAREZONE this year!  GORE-ING 20s in the Memory Lane area.  Not sure how well that area lends itself to being a scare zone but I think it's a very clever concept in how it builds on what the park has already done there.

https://fb.watch/79_7Um6nMY/

Carnevil doesn’t really lend itself to being a scarezone either, so why not try something new? I dig this a lot more, hope it expands to take over the whole boardwalk 

^Same. I always liked the Roaring 20s and Roaring 20s Airfield more than the generic Boardwalk. It's nice to see Knott's pay a little "tribute" to the Roaring 20s.

Just a couple of quick notes on GhostRider:

The mid-course block brake has always been there. But note that there is a difference between a MCBB and a trim brake--although a MCBB can also be used as a trim brake if a park wishes.

No shirts/jackets tied around the waist was policy on GhostRider when it opened, the concern being loose hanging cloth getting caught up in the train wheels.

31 minutes ago, coasterbill said:

Per Queue Times, Xcelerator has been closed all day. I’d imagine that’s not a coincidence.

Xcelerator was open all day yesterday.  So if the accident at Dragster didn't force Xcelerator to close yesterday, there is no reason to believe it is closed now because of it.  

It's currently down right now, likely due to the heat.  I just took a look at the live webcam and Xcelerator is testing.

3 hours ago, Top Thrill Dragster said:

Xcelerator was open all day yesterday.  So if the accident at Dragster didn't force Xcelerator to close yesterday, there is no reason to believe it is closed now because of it.  

It's currently down right now, likely due to the heat.  I just took a look at the live webcam and Xcelerator is testing.

it's running now with guests.   it wasn't this morning.  there wasn't a soul around. 

I saw that for 2022 Knott's will be getting their hotel renovated, which is great news because the place is kind of a dump!  With $200 million being invested by Cedar Fair for 2022 and no real new rides coming I wonder how much will be put into the Knott’s hotel? Correct me if I’m wrong but I don’t believe Knott’s built this hotel. I think they bought an existing one, slapped their name on it, hung pictures of their rides in the rooms and called it a day. Here’s hoping they really go all out and try to transform this into something really nice and unique and complete the Knott’s “resort.” 🤞

The hotel has actually been under renovation since the pandemic, much like the two Cedar Point properties. During the food festivals, you could see large dumpsters as they were throwing stuff out. So I think this is just a completion of that remodel. Also the lobby area was just redone in the last two years.  

I would love to be wrong and see them add on or something, but I fear this is more marketing than anything of the completion of something previously begun before the pandemic set in. 

The hotel has actually been under renovation since the pandemic, much like the two Cedar Point properties. During the food festivals, you could see large dumpsters as they were throwing stuff out. So I think this is just a completion of that remodel. Also the lobby area was just redone in the last two years.  

I would love to be wrong and see them add on or something, but I fear this is more marketing than anything of the completion of something previously begun before the pandemic set in.